Click Here to Login

Old 19 August 2009, 13:39   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Dunmanus Bay Claims 2 more Ribs

This is the area the drug runners lost a rib and a ton of cocaine in 2007. This time it was two ribs which I hear broke free of their moorings in Canty's Cove. Word is the wind shifted which it has been doing a lot for the time of year and they wound up on Carbery Island.

First my sympathies to the unfortunate owners - both are a total loss. What I can verify is where they landed as you can see in the pix. I don't know exactly why they got there but I was snorkelling in Canty's Cove and saw a solitary big mooring with nothing attached - no rope or chain. The fact they were wrecked beside each other quite a distance away I'd guess that they were sharing the mooring.

I visited the scene shortly after the incident a few weeks ago but had no camera. They were a sad sight then - these are estimates- a nicely maintained Lencraft 6 with a fresh Yamaha V4 115 and a 6.5 Ribcraft with a new looking FICHT 130 which had been a beautifully rigged package. Even when I first visited someone had already had both lower units off along with anything else that survived the Carbery Breaker. You can see the ribcraft console broken free and in two pieces.

When I got back a fortnight later with the camera they'd been really done over such that neither engine will ever run again - .eg. flywheel off the Evinrude leaving the crankshaft to go rusty, starter motor and T+T off the Yamaha. Even the tangled A-Frames were gone.

Anyway here are the pix - a reminder to watch your mooring and the weather. Spare a thought for the unfortunate owners whose pride and joy ended up like this. I'd been thinking of skipping the insurance this year but not anymore.

It might also make you think about the doomsday scenario of bearing down on a violent lee shore with a dead in the water rib. Both of these got rolled up the rocks. There may be a situation in extreme breaking rollers where you stand a better chance of survival away from the boat. I don't know the right answer but found myself thinking about it looking at this carnage in a spot where I'd regularly hit the breaker a few hundred metres offshore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130152 (Medium).JPG
Views:	540
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	45007   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130154 (Medium).JPG
Views:	412
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	45008   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130156 (Medium).JPG
Views:	393
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	45009   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130133 (Medium).JPG
Views:	315
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	45010  
Old 19 August 2009, 13:42   #2

more pix

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130153 (Medium).JPG
Views:	345
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	45011   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130155 (Medium).JPG
Views:	430
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	45012   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130157 (Medium).JPG
Views:	310
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	45013  
Old 19 August 2009, 15:05   #3

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
sorry sight.
Old 19 August 2009, 15:29   #4

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Give them to MattH he will polish those scratches out
Old 19 August 2009, 16:25   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
sorry sight.
indeed, a real shame...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2009, 20:57   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Ouch!!!

Costly!
Old 19 August 2009, 21:21   #7

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: under 3m
Engine: n/a
Falling into the could have been worse camp, the owners could have been using them at the time. Must make sure Mrs. Beard doesn't see those. She's sceptical enough about me wanting a boat; if she sees those pics she's liable to suggest basejumping or tombstoning as a safer alternative.
Old 21 August 2009, 08:27   #8

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Wrecked boats

What makes me sad is that almost anything left anywhere will get nicked. Leave your boat insecure and sure as anything it will be stripped by the time you get back.
I don't know who would have legal ownership of these wrecked boats though. Is it the first person to lay claim to "salvage" rights with shipwrecks?
Old 21 August 2009, 08:33   #9

Town: cork
Boat name: none
Make: HUMBER DESTROYER 5.8
Engine: 140HP sUZUKI
not a pretty sight.
Heard there was one or 2 ribs missing in that area.
Old 21 August 2009, 08:49   #10

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
What makes me sad is that almost anything left anywhere will get nicked. Leave your boat insecure and sure as anything it will be stripped by the time you get back.
Yes, quite. I wouldn't dream of taking something that didn't belong to me - it's dreadful to see the scavengers at work.

Shame to see those RIBs too, someone's pride and joy knackered on the rocks. Hopefully insured...
Old 21 August 2009, 09:10   #11

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
Salvage rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I don't know who would have legal ownership of these wrecked boats though. Is it the first person to lay claim to "salvage" rights with shipwrecks?
Since the boats are in the tidal zone I would say that an honest individual should report any finds to the receiver of wrecks, (or the Irish equivelant).

To echo some of the prevoius posts, such a shame to see boats in this state however, I bought my crompton after it had broke its moorings and was in a similar state to these.
I has cost me a few quid to get it back to seaworthy state but I have done most of the work myself and it has been a great learning curve.
I am glad I did it and some good came from a disaster!

Lee
Old 21 August 2009, 11:23   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Firstly - I hate to see someone's pride and joy damaged, so hopefully things are in place with the insurance and it's a straight-forward claim.

I'm amazed people would strip the boats. Normally when these things happen, like mind boat owners from the same area would help to recover the boats and protect them from thieves. This is not simply a case of flotsam and jetsam on the beach.

What's the latest. Are the boats being recovered at all? Can the hulls be salvaged?
Old 21 August 2009, 12:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Firstly - I hate to see someone's pride and joy damaged, so hopefully things are in place with the insurance and it's a straight-forward claim.

I'm amazed people would strip the boats. Normally when these things happen, like mind boat owners from the same area would help to recover the boats and protect them from thieves. This is not simply a case of flotsam and jetsam on the beach.

What's the latest. Are the boats being recovered at all? Can the hulls be salvaged?
I'd guess they're awaiting an insurance survey. I couldn't see the Lencraft hull properly but it seemed sound. It's not a fresh boat so harldy worth the cost of salvage and prob retubing. The Ribcraft hull survived the grounding incredibly well - can't say the same for the tubes - all burst and some big holes. The logistics of getting such a heavy hull off the rocks and the amount of bits and pieces gone or damaged.... I doubt either would be an economic proposition.
Old 22 August 2009, 12:09   #14

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Yes, quite. I wouldn't dream of taking something that didn't belong to me - it's dreadful to see the scavengers at work.

Shame to see those RIBs too, someone's pride and joy knackered on the rocks. Hopefully insured...
I know where your coming from here but so far I've spotted a seat back in stainless and a seat I would have! I'd happily take them but make every effort to find out who's RIB it was and offer to pay for them.

That way he'll still get his insurance money and some cash in hand.