Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
Salvage rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
What makes me sad is that almost anything left anywhere will get nicked. Leave your boat insecure and sure as anything it will be stripped by the time you get back.
I don't know who would have legal ownership of these wrecked boats though. Is it the first person to lay claim to "salvage" rights with shipwrecks?
Since the boats are in the tidal zone I would say that an honest individual should report any finds to the receiver of wrecks, (or the Irish equivelant).

To echo some of the prevoius posts, such a shame to see boats in this state however, I bought my crompton after it had broke its moorings and was in a similar state to these.
I has cost me a few quid to get it back to seaworthy state but I have done most of the work myself and it has been a great learning curve.
I am glad I did it and some good came from a disaster!

Lee

Old 21 August 2009, 07:23   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Firstly - I hate to see someone's pride and joy damaged, so hopefully things are in place with the insurance and it's a straight-forward claim.

I'm amazed people would strip the boats. Normally when these things happen, like mind boat owners from the same area would help to recover the boats and protect them from thieves. This is not simply a case of flotsam and jetsam on the beach.

What's the latest. Are the boats being recovered at all? Can the hulls be salvaged?

Old 21 August 2009, 08:19   #13

Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Firstly - I hate to see someone's pride and joy damaged, so hopefully things are in place with the insurance and it's a straight-forward claim.

I'm amazed people would strip the boats. Normally when these things happen, like mind boat owners from the same area would help to recover the boats and protect them from thieves. This is not simply a case of flotsam and jetsam on the beach.

What's the latest. Are the boats being recovered at all? Can the hulls be salvaged?
I'd guess they're awaiting an insurance survey. I couldn't see the Lencraft hull properly but it seemed sound. It's not a fresh boat so harldy worth the cost of salvage and prob retubing. The Ribcraft hull survived the grounding incredibly well - can't say the same for the tubes - all burst and some big holes. The logistics of getting such a heavy hull off the rocks and the amount of bits and pieces gone or damaged.... I doubt either would be an economic proposition.
Old 22 August 2009, 08:09   #14

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Yes, quite. I wouldn't dream of taking something that didn't belong to me - it's dreadful to see the scavengers at work.

Shame to see those RIBs too, someone's pride and joy knackered on the rocks. Hopefully insured...
I know where your coming from here but so far I've spotted a seat back in stainless and a seat I would have! I'd happily take them but make every effort to find out who's RIB it was and offer to pay for them.

That way he'll still get his insurance money and some cash in hand.