Old 16 December 2003, 11:55   #1

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Drysuits and frustration!

Frustation first! My delivery slot has slipped from end January to "sometime in March"! Grrrr! something to do with Suzuki not having their "new" engines available till then! Oh well!
Now, more importantly, can someone enlighten me on the issue of drysuits? I was a diver (many moons ago) and understand diving drysuits, indeed still have my old membrane suit somewhere. Unfortunately, due to indulging in life's little pleasures I will no longer fit into it! I see that "sailing" drysuits are advertised as "breathable". I don't want breathable, I want a suit to keep me warm and snug, not only during my time aboard the RIB in winter, but also should I exhibit my usual sense of balance and end up in the oggin! So, am I looking at a typical "rear entry" (Ooo er Vicar) diving suit, without valves, or are these "breathable" type suits magically water proof when I hit the drink? Any advice gratefully received!
Cheers, Jono
Old 16 December 2003, 11:57   #2
Ian

Town: Morfa Nefyn, Gwynedd
Boat name: Black Jack
Make: Pro Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250hp 4/
eek!

Jono, when and how did you hear about the delivery slippage on the 250?
Sorry, not got a clue on the drysuit question.
Old 16 December 2003, 12:23   #3

Quote from my boat builder!

"Outboard motor – As this is a new model we have been advised that they are not due into the country until March. Is this OK."

No it's NOT okay! I want my boat now!!!

**throwing teddy from pram**
Old 16 December 2003, 12:32   #4
Ian

Town: Morfa Nefyn, Gwynedd
Boat name: Black Jack
Make: Pro Sport
Engine: Suzuki 250hp 4/
I have been told my delivery for the engine is March, but was told this three months ago. I believe the 250/4 were never due before March. To be followed by the 225/4 then the 200/4.
Old 16 December 2003, 12:37   #5

To be fair to Humber (top people to deal with, by-the-way), I originally wanted a 6.3 with a DF140, which grew to a 6.3 with 120 Mercruiser then 6.3 with 200 and eventually ended up as 7.0 with 250! When there's two of you buying it's very easy to get carried away! So, the original delivery date was never updated as the requirements grew. I just want my boat now!!!
Old 16 December 2003, 12:55   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Back to drysuits . . .

You do want a breathable drysuit. If you wear a non-breathable dry suit for any length of time on a RIB you will end up soaked in sweat!

Breathable drysuits will keep you dry in the water -- that's why they are called drysuits!

I prefer a back zip, but most people seem to go for big diagonal front zips. Wherever you have your main zip, do be sure to get a fly zip too.

The other choice is hard boots, latex booties or ankle cuff seals. In my opinion hard boots are way ahead of the other choices, but some other people seem to prefer latex booties and a pair of smelly trainers or wellies. Beats me why!

Top favourite drysuit for ribbing seems to be Ravenspring at the moment, although the (expensive) Musto HPX takes some beating. Typhoon are another one worth a look.

John
Old 16 December 2003, 12:56   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Breathable or sweaty?

Errm, Breathable drysuits are still dry. (moisture out but not in) If you end up in the 'oggin you stay dry. What you dont get is any thermal insulation at all - that has to come from what you wear underneath - layers of technical fabric (fleeces etc) if you are doing it properly or your Dinner Jacket if you are doing your James Bond impression. Ravensprings for example are breathable and having been fully immersed in mine I can confirm they are completely waterproof!

Non breathable are cheaper but effectively you are wearing a big plastic bag and they can get a bit hot, sweaty and niffy! An unlike a diving drysuit with valves to equalise pressure once you fart it stays in there until you take it off! (Although its probably kinder to your crew in that respect!)

HTH,
Alan
Old 16 December 2003, 13:25   #8

Boat name: tbc
Make: Ribcraft (on order)
Length: 7m
Thanks for the info on the Suzuki, I am now checking with my supplier as my boat was due 1st week in march, no good with out the engine......If it is true, it looks like I will be Ribless for a while. reading the forums, the Ribless situation seems to be an epedemic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the subject of Dry suits, why not go for a Survival suit from Cosalt, @ £75 and learn not to fall in. These suits are fantastic and you will not get cold. Worth carrying one as a spare just incase someone does land in the drink and they need to warm up.
Old 16 December 2003, 13:30   #9

Town: West Sussex
Jono

Go for the new TYPHOON WOSS . The whole top is yellow and fully breathable. The suit has a front diagonal zip so no need to have a seperate fly zip. It is also fitted with hard boots
checkout www.typhoon-int.co.uk
This is the same suit as the RNLI are using only they have the seams taped
I would say the best dry suit available for ribbing

or you could go for the RACER but front entry . this is fully breathable , glide skin neck and cuff seals , latex socks , internal braces and comes with a 3 year warranty on workmanship

Andre
Old 16 December 2003, 13:37   #10

Drysuits may be called drysuits and waterproof oversuits may be called waterproof, but as a well seasoned all year round motorcyclist, I can assure you that calling it so, don't necessarily make it so........
Have just looked at the suits recommended on the web and will probably go for one of the “breathable” types then!
Thanks for replies, chaps.
Old 16 December 2003, 14:15   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
Back to drysuits . . .

I prefer a back zip, but most people seem to go for big diagonal front zips. Wherever you have your main zip, do be sure to get a fly zip too.

John
Oh god yes. Very sound advice. Nothing more frustrating than being yellow eyed in your drysuit cos you are desperate to go but dont wanna get wet!
Old 16 December 2003, 14:35   #12

Town: Alicante
Boat name: Sundowner
Make: Coastline
Engine: Yamaha 370sti 165hp
Jono
Try protec dry suits I have had 5 suits off them over the years and know problems.
They cost about £260 with a p zip and boots and pocket all made to your size just the job for ribbing.
www.protecdrysuits.com
info@protecdrysuits.com
Old 16 December 2003, 18:40   #13

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
I don't want breathable
Breathable drysuits are still totally waterproof. I doubt there up to diving but theyll keep you totally dry on a quick swim from mooring to pub.

Look for neopreme seals not latex. Neapreme being far more comfortable, longer lasting and just as waterproof.

My personal preferance is latex socks worn with dingy boots. If you have ankle seals you will need to shave all the hairs off your lower leg or let the latex rib them out for you!
Old 16 December 2003, 22:02   #14

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by simmons0
If you have ankle seals you will need to shave all the hairs off your lower leg or let the latex rib them out for you!
Ugh, nasty!

Just go for the boots attached to the drysuit. Definitely a good system. You just jump out of the drysuit and into comfy dry trainers which you kept in the drybag - and you're instantly warm, dry and comfy and ready for that pub lunch.

Alan - too much information about the color of your eyes! (Mr 1000 poster!)
Old 19 December 2003, 22:05   #15

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
I'd suggest Gore-Tex rescue suit, I have used those for ribbing for several years without problems. From pretty warm to very cold circumstances Gore-Tex suit works very well. My supplier is Ursuit (www.ursuk.com), the longest time I have spent in zero degree water wearing their Gore-TEX suit was 12 hours, but that's the whole another story...:-)
Old 19 December 2003, 22:46   #16

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
Breathable (even asthmatic) dry bags don't survive diving. In diving dry bags you reach 100% humidity in slightly less than 2 minutes. Front entry means you can get in and out of it yourself, neoprene is comfortable, latex leaks can be self found and self fixed in under 5 minutes.
Old 20 December 2003, 06:09   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
What do you mean by "don't survive"? They're not breathable under water (which is why diving suits aren't made from breathable fabric), but going into the water won't damage them.

It may be easier to get in and out of a drysuit with a front zip, but I can manage quite easily on my own with a back zip, so don't assume it's not possible! I initially thought that I would always need help with the zip until I found myself on my own at the end of the day facing a 100 mile drive in my dry suit if I couldn't get it off . . .

John
Old 20 December 2003, 10:41   #18

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
John, anytime you need help with undoing your zipper, let me know and I'll send gARF over.
Old 20 December 2003, 11:48   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Xmas preesent for Charles, Mike G and Whiteshooz

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre
Jono

Go for the new TYPHOON WUSS . The whole top is yellow and fully breathable. The suit has a front diagonal zip so no need to have a seperate fly zip. It is also fitted with hard boots

or you could go for the RACER but front entry . this is fully breathable , glide skin neck and cuff seals , latex socks , internal braces and comes with a 3 year warranty on workmanship

Andre
Looks Like this would suit You JF ( sorry I couldn't help it)
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2003, 13:00   #20

Town: West Sussex
Did In say WUSS or was it WOSS?

WOSS so no mistake here

Andre