Old 25 December 2003, 07:18   #31
Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
just search on the shop link for drysuits, then type in each manafacturer, ring the shop and ask for a deal ,they do sell more than anyone else , or go to there stand @ exel

RIVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2003, 07:21   #32
RIBnet supporter
Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib

I have had few drysuits in the past Typhoon which I like was my first since that I have tried several brands and now I mainly use the Musto HPX or the Crewsaver Hyperdry which I use in the winter.
bogib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2003, 10:09   #33
Town: Berkshire and Devon
Make: Lodestar
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 5hp
There's a thread about poor service from the marine industry running at the mo. but there's a drysuit manufacturing company whose attitude and achievement are an example to all:

The guys are perfectionists. Their product is excellent and they are super people to deal with. I had an alteration done to my drysuit last year - dropped it off on December 28th at their factory where they were working into the night preparing for LBS. They apologised in advance for a delay - Boat Show and all that. In two weeks I had the drysuit back, which I thought was perfectly reasonable.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2003, 10:39   #34
Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
Well, like Andre asked, I can tell you about my 12 hours in zero-temperature water. The case was actually started by a stupid article in magazine, in which some reader insisted that my earlier article about survival suits (Gore-Tex RIB models) was false. He said, that the suit can't keep a person alive more than 2-3 hours even if worn properly. So I made a test on April here in Finland, it was something like -2 C air and icy water. I spent 12 hours in water, it was so could that water froze over my Crewsaver lifejacket and the suit was also covered with ice. I survived the test easily, the most difficult thing was to keep fingers warm enough during the day. I had only ordinary neoprene gloves with me, no dry-gloves. It took me 3 weeks to get back "touch sense" to my fingers, but after all no permanent damages occured. I'd say that Gore-Tex suit keep you alive at sea 24 hours even in the coldest conditions you can find. My 12 hours was easy, but if your only target is to stay alive, you can easily take 20 or maybe 30 hours depending on personal cold resistance. The major problem is urination, because body developed some 800 ml of urine every day and you should get rid of that by some way. Otherwise the suit will get wet inside because you just can't keep all the urine in your bladder till someone finds you drifting at sea.

I can send couple images when I come back, but the test was pretty simple. The story was covered in Finnish boating magazine about two years ago with 5-6 pages.
Pitkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2003, 11:29   #35
Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
obviously the suit designers -ravenspring, goretex etc. will have to get their heads together to formulate an industrywide solution to this one. I propose a suit with a flexible diameter member opening for the male version. This will get over the 800 ml a day wetting the inside of the suit problem. As an accessory, perhaps a modified goretex condom could be worn with a one-way valve fitted at the cap. Instead of lubricating jelly, perhaps a shark-repellent material could be woven into the membrane. Happy Christmas.
gaelforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2003, 12:19   #36
Trade member
Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Thanks Pitkis that was some test

Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2003, 06:21   #37
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Gaelforce.. I think you'll find you can get an "option" like this on diving dry suits of the kind the techies wear on long deco dives... Nice!

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote