Old 25 September 2015, 19:56   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Drysuit replacement seals

Eldest is increasingly doing water sports and winter is approaching. He is approaching the height of Mrs Poly, who has a dry suit up the loft doing nothing (it is not female specific). The dry suit has a knackered cuff and the neck seal is too big for him. The feet/socks seem to be OK.

So would you replace with latex or neoprene neck/wrist seals bearing in mind:
- he'll grow
- his neck and wrist is a little bit smaller that hers at the moment, but it would be nice if she could still use the suit if she ever had the urge
- 12 yr olds are not known for their tender touch
- I don't find latex very comfortable on neck seal (but I think this is "stubble" related and he is someway off needing to shave!)

And next question would DIY the work or send it to a pro - bearing in mind that whilst I will probably have all the tools I will need, I'd need glue etc as well as the actual seals.
Old 25 September 2015, 20:12   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Eldest is increasingly doing water sports and winter is approaching. He is approaching the height of Mrs Poly, who has a dry suit up the loft doing nothing (it is not female specific). The dry suit has a knackered cuff and the neck seal is too big for him. The feet/socks seem to be OK.

- he'll grow
- his neck and wrist is a little bit smaller that hers at the moment, but it would be nice if she could still use the suit if she ever had the urge
- I don't find latex very comfortable on neck seal (but I think this is "stubble" related and he is someway off needing to shave!)

And next question would DIY the work or send it to a pro - bearing in mind that whilst I will probably have all the tools I will need, I'd need glue etc as well as the actual seals.
Dry suit seals are very easy to do. If the old seal is glued on very well, but torn, just trim the seal back to the cuff's of the suit material. Then use polychloroprene adhesive (like for hypalon?) to glue a new latex seal over the old seal.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2015, 20:14   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I had a new seal fitted to my daughters dive suit & was advised latex seals were better for females as they stretch more & therefore seal better on a woman's naturally thinner neck I guess cuffs are a matter of taste but again for a suit worn by 2 people then the extra stretch in the latex would probably be better
I tried to fit a neck seal years ago & gave up in the end. I have herd people say it's an easy diy job but I'm reasonably practical but didn't have the patience for seal fitting
I just had my neoprene neck seal & my daughters neck & cuffs changed by typhoon in Redcar who did a real nice job & turned them around in about a week
Old 25 September 2015, 20:31   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
The secret to changing wrist and neck seals is a traffic cone.

Pushed through the hole it keeps the material stable, stretched tight, and in the correct shape to glue to.

Although last time I did a neck seal in a typhoon the shape of the neck area was flatter and I ended up using a space hopper instead.

Nasher.
Old 25 September 2015, 20:35   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

- he'll grow

To get it professionally done will cost around £30 for the wrist seals & £40 for the neck. Diy is easy enough if you are meticulous in the prep, are slightly anal about the gluing and borderline OCD with the finish........you'll be fine
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2015, 21:16   #6

Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
My kids sail and wear drysuits in late autumn/winter. I have found that neoprene on the neck and wrists is what they prefer for comfort and I think more durable than latex.
Old 25 September 2015, 21:21   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelgas View Post
... I have found that neoprene on the neck and wrists is what they prefer for comfort and I think more durable than latex.
+1
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2015, 00:21   #8
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
To get it professionally done will cost around £30 for the wrist seals & £40 for the neck. Diy is easy enough if you are meticulous in the prep, are slightly anal about the gluing and borderline OCD with the finish........you'll be fine

lol - I think poly will do this fine - look at Lomo in Glasgow - http://www.ewetsuits.com

very friendly folk - and should be able supply bits / do job ....

S.

www.firstaidatsea.co.uk
www.SPRmarine.co.uk
Old 26 September 2015, 07:32   #9

Length: 3m +
Neoprene all the way.

Need child and adult measurements. The supplier should be able to tell you the measurements they fit.

I've tried to do a latex sock in the last. AWFUL. Messy. Finding something the right size to stretch over was a challenge. Had one done professionally by Trident (local to me so no postage) and i seemed not end up glued to the suit in the process!! Trident sell a kit (not sure of thats latex or neoprene. Not sure I've ever seen neoprene seals for sale --> maybe they so rarely need replaced? But if you study the picture carefully on their website they have an option for neoprene) £15.95 neck seal and same for wrists. Kit comes with glue. £42 Neck and £39 Wrist (pair) installed on someone elses suit by them: Drysuit Repairs And Replacement Seal Service - TridentUK Plus £9 postage.
So actually you are halfway to a new suit! Or you get a latex wrist seal, fix it cheap and look for a cheap second hander so both can have drysuits at the same time ;-)
Old 28 September 2015, 11:27   #10

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
My missus was advised to go latex on the neck by the suit manufacturer (we have otter made to measure suits), again as the ratio of size of head to neck meant that a neoprene seal that she could get on whilst keeping her ears wouldn't give an adequate seal. This was for a dive suit though so I'm guessing a surface sports suit will not need to be as tight. Turning of the head under water is the usual leak path as the little gap at the beck of the neck opens up and you get a cold dribble! Same for wrist seals. If you have skinny wrists, latex seals better as it hugs the shame more and is less likely to open up around the tendons.

Unfortunately the wife looks like she has been strangled after a few sea dives as her neck goes red. Neoprene seems to affect the neck skin far less in salt water than latex does, which is why I wear neoprene (its also warmer on the neck). To combat the problem, a liberal squirt of KY jelly can't be beat and doesn't destroy the seals. Vasaline kills seals in an incredibly short period.

Phil M