Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
Drysuit Replacement

Not sure if this is a good idea or not.
Our Drysuits need replacing after 3 years of hard use.
Looking at what is on the market at the moment £250 is cheap.
However l have a few friends who are anglers and wear chest waders.
They are made of neoprene(4mm) have integral wellies attached, adjustable straps and are warm as toast. They cost about £50 for a reasonable pair. I reckon with a good dry top they should to the trick for well under half the price? Any comments for or against would be appreciated before I take the plunge(so to speak!).
Martyn
Old 16 May 2006, 18:35   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I guess that "taking the plunge" is the major risk with these. They are not going to keep the water out, will fill with water and weigh you down. I suspect that if the "worst" happened survival time in waders and a dry top would be much lower than a good dry suit.
Old 16 May 2006, 21:01   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I witnessed someone fall in with chest waders on and it took ten men to pull him out. If you go down that route you need to understand that you need to release them once you fall in the water.

I thought the same as you. Indeed I have bought the waders but not used them yet. Glad I haven't, because I slipped and fell in Yarmouth harbour last saturday. Then I was glad I was wearing my drysuit. Its May but the water is still very cold.

By the way how come you worn those drysuits out. Mines older and still going strong. Howabout getting them serviced and having some new seals fitted.

I haven't got to that stage yet and I know mine has been severely abused over the last 3 years since I bought it.
Old 16 May 2006, 22:03   #4

Thanks for the replies so far. Biggles - that was my one worry falling in and getting bogged down when the waders inevitably fill with water. The ones I thought of getting(Shakespeare) have velcrose quick release straps so provided we are wearing lifejackets(always do) shouldnt be too much of a problem. Wouldnt contemplate using them during the winter so that shouldnt come into the equasion. It is launching and recovery where I think they will come into their own. I could get our drysuits refurbished but to be frank its a pain getting in and out of them when you want a pee etc(I wont elaborate further) Anglers wear them for hours at a time and they definately dont leak.
Martyn
Old 17 May 2006, 09:03   #5

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
Thanks for the replies so far. Biggles - that was my one worry falling in and getting bogged down when the waders inevitably fill with water. The ones I thought of getting(Shakespeare) have velcrose quick release straps so provided we are wearing lifejackets(always do) shouldnt be too much of a problem. Wouldnt contemplate using them during the winter so that shouldnt come into the equasion. It is launching and recovery where I think they will come into their own. I could get our drysuits refurbished but to be frank its a pain getting in and out of them when you want a pee etc(I wont elaborate further) Anglers wear them for hours at a time and they definately dont leak.
Martyn

The Best compromise I have come up with is to use the bottom half of a two piece drysuit and have boots fitted instead of the Latex socks, I use this arrangement and have fallen in a couple of times and no water gets into them, ideal for Launching the boat then easy to take off whilst out.

Mark

Ps the only problem with Waders when they fill up is getting out of the Water with all the extra weight of a few gallons of water, but whilst in the water the wont weigh you down as the water inside them is the same as the water outside ( so net effect is neutral) so your bouyancy is not affected, however climbing back into a rib over the tubes would be a different matter
Old 17 May 2006, 09:33   #6

Thanks Mark
Re-assured about the buoyancy thing. How about the other way round with a good quality drysuit top tight fitting over the chest waders. Im sure some water would creep in but should be negligible?
Martyn
Old 17 May 2006, 12:13   #7

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
hi Noddy, we use IMAX sea fishing suits. They are as warm as toast, completely windproof, and are 2 peice, they can be used together or seperate and have neoprane seals on wrist and ankle, which means they go over a normal welly and we have launched our old sib with water up to the jewels without getting wet. We still have our crewsavers, but these are so much more user freindly. The best part is, they have built in bouency so no need to wear a preserver! They keep you warm and safe in the coldest of water if you have the misfortune to go in. We havnt used the drysuits at all since getting these, would recommend them. Get them from a descent sea fishing store or on tinternet. Its another alternative to think about, we only paid 99 grotes each, which i think is a fair price when its your safety that we are talking about. Please dont go down the waders route, its just not safe enough.
Old 17 May 2006, 12:57   #8

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Not sure if this is a good idea or not.
Our Drysuits need replacing after 3 years of hard use.
Looking at what is on the market at the moment £250 is cheap.
However l have a few friends who are anglers and wear chest waders.
They are made of neoprene(4mm) have integral wellies attached, adjustable straps and are warm as toast. They cost about £50 for a reasonable pair. I reckon with a good dry top they should to the trick for well under half the price? Any comments for or against would be appreciated before I take the plunge(so to speak!).
Martyn
Martyn

This is what you should have, the Typhoon WOSS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breathable WOSSa.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	19322  
Old 17 May 2006, 12:59   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Quote:
Thanks Mark
Re-assured about the buoyancy thing. How about the other way round with a good quality drysuit top tight fitting over the chest waders. Im sure some water would creep in but should be negligible?
Martyn
I think its not so much a bouyancy issue, but being dragged by the tide/current?
Old 17 May 2006, 15:33   #10

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Martyn

This is what you should have, the Typhoon WOSS

HI Andre

Errrm well as i use a WOSS who am i to argue , but in warm weather still like the option of waterproof bottom half.

mark
Old 17 May 2006, 17:55   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I use one made by a company called Ravenspring

http://www.ravenspring.co.uk/system/index.html

Mine has hard boots attached, and a waterproof fly zip fitted. The material is extremely light, but reinforced where neccessary, and is breathable so I don't sweat. Its not the cheapest, but the service and help Ive had from the company has been 1st class, highly reccommended. I cannot fault this suit so far.
Old 17 May 2006, 19:34   #12

Engine: 200
Hi Martyn

We got a deal from Andark for getting two suits and wouldn't look back really. Zebedee was quite like your boat in that we were 'at one with the elements'!!!! and we certainly never regretted the drysuit purchase.

K & P
Old 17 May 2006, 20:18   #13

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7
I use one made by a company called Ravenspring

http://www.ravenspring.co.uk/system/index.html

Mine has hard boots attached, and a waterproof fly zip fitted. The material is extremely light, but reinforced where neccessary, and is breathable so I don't sweat. Its not the cheapest, but the service and help Ive had from the company has been 1st class, highly reccommended. I cannot fault this suit so far.
Hard, waterproof fly, reinforced AND breathable and No sweat. Got to get me one of those!!! Bigmuz
Old 17 May 2006, 20:23   #14

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-f
HI Andre

Errrm well as i use a WOSS who am i to argue , but in warm weather still like the option of waterproof bottom half.

mark
Mark so do I and could not agree more. But talking of dry suits I favour the WOSS
Old 02 June 2006, 12:50   #15

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Dry Suit Repair

HI,

We have just had all the seals replaced on all our dry suits and we use a company called Hammond Drysuits Ltd, Based in Wilmington Kent, Posted all the suits off to them and within 3 days they had sent them all back fully repaired and tested, Have used them 3 or 4 times now and they are great. Phone number is 01322 523583.

I can highly reccomend them

Julian
Old 02 June 2006, 18:14   #16

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Juilan did you have latex or neopren
Roy
Old 03 June 2006, 18:05   #17

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
I still have my Gull Breathable Dry Suit for sale Noddy,it's been worn twice,once on the Rib and the other when building my pond for the Koi carp.it's under the Bits and Pieces section with a photo.

Wayne
Old 04 June 2006, 10:55   #18

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
DrySuit

Hi Roy

Its neoprene. If you need anything give them a call and they will help you out, very good company.

Cheers

Julian