Old 03 August 2011, 11:48   #1

Town: Isle of Tiree
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F50
Drysuit advise please

Hi, I have to launch my RIB from a sandy beach and up until now I have been wearing a wetsuit. The problem with this is that it's not very comfortable for long periods when fishing etc. so I'm thinking about buying a drysuit (waders could be an option if it's mirror flat but I think the waves would get over them too often). I know nothing about wetsuits so was wondering what type would be best. I've had a quick look and seen some are surface ones more aimed at watersports etc. and don't have boots attached to them and some are for diving. They're not cheap so I want to make the right choice ! (and it's difficult for me to go and look at some in the shops as I live in the middle of nowhere).
Thanks.
Tim.
Old 03 August 2011, 13:15   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Hi Tim, I would go for a breathable surface dry suit like crewsaver or typhoon, they have built in socks either latex or gortex , there's a choice of cuffs and neck seals, neoprene or latex I have the latter, but wish I had gone for the former "more comfortable" the latex is more for kayaking or canoeing where you need to have a tight seal. There are many other makes as well as those mentioned, prices range from £250 upwards, also wear over boots or sandles over the socks to avoid getting holes or tears in them on sharp stones etc. Oh!! and get one with a convenience zip,,, will make things a lot easier while out

Breathable Drysuits and Neoprene Drysuits from Crewsaver

http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/product...s/multisport_/
Old 03 August 2011, 14:31   #3

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireetim View Post
Hi, I have to launch my RIB from a sandy beach and up until now I have been wearing a wetsuit. The problem with this is that it's not very comfortable for long periods when fishing etc. so I'm thinking about buying a drysuit (waders could be an option if it's mirror flat but I think the waves would get over them too often). I know nothing about wetsuits so was wondering what type would be best. I've had a quick look and seen some are surface ones more aimed at watersports etc. and don't have boots attached to them and some are for diving. They're not cheap so I want to make the right choice ! (and it's difficult for me to go and look at some in the shops as I live in the middle of nowhere).
Thanks.
Tim.
. Hi Tim, take a look at www.watersportswarehouse.com they have plenty drysuits on there site,good price,s, to,good luck.
Old 03 August 2011, 14:43   #4

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireetim View Post
Thanks.
Tim.
easy go for the best on the market gull black shadow dry suite and a pair of rock boots you wont get better look on flea bay
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2011, 14:56   #5
dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
I love my two-piece. Adjustable to weather conditions. Socks but no boots, allows to chose boots according to temperature.

http://www.ursuk.fi/en/sailing/dry-s...erative-musta/

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 03 August 2011, 16:24   #6

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
Have a look at LOMO, Wetsuits, drysuits and watersports from Lomo UK. Children's and adults wetsuits. they have lots of great gear at fantastic prices.
Old 03 August 2011, 18:07   #7
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Hammonds Dry suits - made to measure at good price!

http://www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk/

great suites and service, made in UK.

regards

s.
Old 03 August 2011, 19:00   #8

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 15 hp -78
This sounds like great fun! But why can't you get in the boat sooner if it's too deep for vaders? :o
Old 03 August 2011, 20:15   #9

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
My dry suit is by Polar Bears - a great piece of kit. I have a surface suit by Thyphoon (an Alpha) lightweight and cheap but don't expect long life.

Dry trousers and cag are an option that would allow easy stripping once on board.

However once deeper than mid thigh I'm on board.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2011, 20:18   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
easy go for the best on the market gull black shadow dry suite and a pair of rock boots you wont get better look on flea bay
I agree with the rock boots
Old 03 August 2011, 20:23   #11
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Not very rib freindly these rock boots?

New Rock Boots - M280 Spikes Reactor Sole : 38 delivery 5-10 days | £250.00 | New Rock Gothic Clothing - Rocky Horrors

S.
Old 03 August 2011, 20:32   #12

RIBase
Old 05 August 2011, 11:27   #13

Town: Bristol
You could try these:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_23068.htm
Old 07 August 2011, 06:52   #14

Make: Tornado
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Hi

I've been using drysuits for years for winter dinghy sailing in a fast, wet, non-too-stable boat - can highly recommend them!

I'd have thought a sailing drysuit would be fine. They usually have wear patches on the seat, knees, etc, and are not too thick. I did my PB2 in my sailing drysuit, my mate with me was lent a very thick diving suit and he melted in it. So I'd suggest getting a sailing version, but get it "roomy" so you can layer up the fleeces underneath for when it's cold.

If you're going to be spending hours in it, I'd highly recommend a breathable material - then of course breathable fleeces work best underneath (like comfy skiing kit)

Attached dry socks keep the tootsies lovely and warm when you have to wade into the nasty cold stuff. The trick to getting drysuit socks into boots is either sprinkle the boots with talc first, or if you're not too bothered about looking flash, slip a thin plastic bag over your foot before you put the boots on...

My suit has latex seals, the wife and kids have neoprene - neoprene seems a lot more durable and if you're not planning on spending hours in the water not being quite as watertight won't matter

Be aware the necks come tight and you may need to cut it down carefully and progressively until it is still snug but you can breathe and the blood can reach your head

Generally it's one of those "stretch for a good one and it'll keep you warm and dry for years" things. I think mine was £300 and something for a good breathable Musto suit, though, don't see you'd need to go much more than that..

Hope this helps
Old 07 August 2011, 16:58   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bob
Length: 3m +
Bit hot

Dry suits are great if you're going to get wet but they get hot. I agree with neoprene seals over latex - much more comfortable and hardy. I'd also recommend you try getting into one. I prefer front entry since rear can be too much hard work (stop sniggering gutter brains!). Front can easily be opened up if you're overheating too!
The most practical solution is waders - but you won't catch me wearing them!
Old 07 August 2011, 18:14   #16

Length: no boat
Engine: Outboards
I just wear an old pair of walking boots with mine which works great.

As per the last post you can get quite hot on a warm day but I find that is rare when the sea breeze kicks in and you can always roll it down or take it off depending on what your doing
Old 07 August 2011, 18:41   #17

Town: Isle of Tiree
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Yamaha F50
Thanks very much everyone for your replies. Went out yesterday and as it was hot I tried the waders with shorts on. Was fine but wouldn't work if the waves were bigger as they would get flooded before I could push the rib out deep enough. Nice not to be in a wetsuit though. Will have a look at all the drysuit recommendations and choose the most suitable one.
Thanks again !
Tim.
Old 07 August 2011, 19:06   #18

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Wouldn't fancy been in the waders if you fell over board.
I've got a Typhoon surface drysuit with wellies on, works great and never end up sweating my spuds off like in my old diving drysuit.... wanna buy a HD divers drysuit?
Old 07 August 2011, 21:01   #19

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Tim

I've got a dry suit advertised on the "bits and peices" section if your interested.

Its a Crewsaver breathable suit. Cost me £250 a few years ago but I only wore it a couple of times.

Yours at a fraction of the price if you want it.

Size is small but ill suite up to 5'8" plus in height. It has sealed rubber socks and I used to wear diving boots over the top. I have a pair if you want them.

Phil

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2011, 21:11   #20

RIBase
Just a quick pointer Tim, if you do purchase a dry suit remember to vent it after putting it on by squatting while opening the collar with your hands and then let go while standing up. This will create a vacuum and stop you looking like a Michelin man. The idea of this is if you do go in the water it stops the air trap in the legs from holding your head under water which is a possibility if you have not got an auto L J on.