Length: 6m +
Do any makes sell a short fat dry suit?

Old 16 November 2012, 12:32   #52

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post

You could have a look at these guys: Ravenspring Ltd No idea if they are any good or not but at least they are made to measure.

Gull also do a "Medium/Broad" size for those of a more 'substantial' girth to the norm.

Old 16 November 2012, 12:45   #53

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Not critical but Internal shoulder braces are a big help if you can get a suit with them fitted , especially if its a hot day and you want to take the top part off with the sleeves tied in a knot around your waist ,
Otherwise you can get to look like Yogi bear with cartoon legs .
Old 16 November 2012, 13:17   #54

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Treerat, it really comes down to breatheability. Suits designed for scuba diving do not breathe. Surface suits designed to breathe are much better as you won't retain as much moisture in the suit causing you to get cold. Remember we sweat to cool ourselves.

My scuba drysuit often has water droplets all over the inside of the suit. And yes I do get chilled sometimes in my scuba suit from water both inside and outside.
So you're really talking about breathable V non breathable dry suit rather than surface V scuba based. I have a surface suit (Typhoon) in which I sweat more than my cordura rescue suit - which is based on a PB diving suit. Whilst I suspect owners of the Bare dry suit or one of the Body glove breathable diving suits are better off then most of the non breathable surface suits.

I've tried breathable panels and the like in the past and find that after a year in the salt and spry they stop breathing properly anyhow.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 13:56   #55
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
HP, try MES Marine just off the Queensferry bypass, he's got a good selection and prices aren't too bad, worth a look see!
Old 16 November 2012, 19:27   #56

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
So you're really talking about breathable V non breathable dry suit rather than surface V scuba based.
They do have different purposes and materials often, but not always. I have not heard of a breathable scuba suit, but am not an expert of the latest products on the market.

Quote:
I have a surface suit (Typhoon) in which I sweat more than my cordura rescue suit - which is based on a PB diving suit. Whilst I suspect owners of the Bare dry suit or one of the Body glove breathable diving suits are better off then most of the non breathable surface suits.
Could it be color related to the heat of the sun? Obviously darker colors...well you know. Rescue suits are typically a lighter orange or red vs black. My partner dives a Bare, but she doesn't sweat she perspires. Is the Typhoon a breathable material? I looked at their website and it appears all the new surface suits are breathable.

Quote:
I've tried breathable panels and the like in the past and find that after a year in the salt and spry they stop breathing properly anyhow.(
Are you soaking them after saturating them with salt water? I always wash my suits after a day in the salt water with a dunk in a fresh water filled tub.
Old 17 November 2012, 04:37   #57

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
Quote:
They do have different purposes and materials often, but not always. I have not heard of a breathable scuba suit, but am not an expert of the latest products on the market.
The Bare one seems to be the new kid on the block but Polar Bears made some a few years back as have other companies now.

Quote:
Could it be color related to the heat of the sun? Obviously darker colors...well you know. Rescue suits are typically a lighter orange or red vs black. My partner dives a Bare, but she doesn't sweat she perspires. Is the Typhoon a breathable material? I looked at their website and it appears all the new surface suits are breathable.
Nope, not color but material. Not all surface suits will be made from breathable membranes. My Typhoon alpha isn't (new version is!) nor is my Palm or Canyon Gear dry tops and trousers. The new suits on the web site isn't what is actually out in the market place.

Quote:
Are you soaking them after saturating them with salt water? I always wash my suits after a day in the salt water with a dunk in a fresh water filled tub.
Oh yes, but with age, wear and use they seem to give up breathing and it becomes and expensive panel. It's possible that the new fabrics don't have this issue the last panel I had on a suit was gore-tex based.

This looks a great suit for the money at present, on offer too - Best Buy Gul Astro Kitesurf Drysuit Gcx4 2011 Model Sk0005 - Mens - Drysuits Surface Sports - Drysuits

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 05:09   #58

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
The Bare one seems to be the new kid on the block but Polar Bears made some a few years back as have other companies now.

Nope, not color but material. Not all surface suits will be made from breathable membranes. My Typhoon alpha isn't (new version is!) nor is my Palm or Canyon Gear dry tops and trousers. The new suits on the web site isn't what is actually out in the market place.

Oh yes, but with age, wear and use they seem to give up breathing and it becomes and expensive panel. It's possible that the new fabrics don't have this issue the last panel I had on a suit was gore-tex based.

This looks a great suit for the money at present, on offer too - Best Buy Gul Astro Kitesurf Drysuit Gcx4 2011 Model Sk0005 - Mens - Drysuits Surface Sports - Drysuits
Most £300 + surface dry suits are breathable the ones that are will state it. I have had my crewsaver for 4 years it has latex collar, cuffs and boots, I chose that option because it was used for sea kayaking . I did sometimes sweat while using it but it is an active sport, on the other hand using it on the rib it has worked well. After use I always rinse it off with fresh water and make sure it is dry before storing it away, I have never used talc on the latex like some people do and it is still as good as the day I got it.

Look after your gear and it will look after you
Old 17 November 2012, 06:37   #59

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
You could have a look at these guys: Ravenspring Ltd No idea if they are any good or not but at least they are made to measure.

Gull also do a "Medium/Broad" size for those of a more 'substantial' girth to the norm.

Had a ravenspring drysuit since 09 for jetsking and is still great 3 years on.... Was made to measure.... Highly recommended
Old 19 November 2012, 11:44   #60

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: OSPREY Vipermax 7m
Length: 7m +
Engine: ETEC G2 250 H.O.
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Hi folks ,
Will go for the Typhoone PS 220 from :

2013 Typhoon Mens Ps220 Xtreme Drysuit with Con Zip Kayak Ocean Yellow Black - Mens - Drysuits Surface

They told me today that my size will be on stock already on wednesday this week !
Seems I can test it soon on the Baltic Sea !!

BR Jürgen

*picture from their website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS220-Xtreme-Y-B.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	74310