Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 May 2016, 07:42   #1

Length: 3m +
Dry Suits - Fabric Feet - Anyone tried them?

I was out dinghy sailing yesterday and it's time for a new drysuit!! The crotch and knee on the current 9 year old one were already dodgy and as no specific leak can be found it must be the fabric breaking down.

Suits been in my sailing bag since October, and discovered the latex feet were stuck to themselves. Gently pulled small fold... Tore 1cm hole. Gently pulled large fold 10cm C shaped tear.

So new drysuit it is. Surface only. Prefer Glideskin to latex seals. Needs to dinghy sail, do some rib work which currently doesn't meet rib.net endurance standards but may in the lifetime of the new suit! More likely to be sat on an SR4 watching oppies go round in circles in wind I wouldn't consider sailing in!

It will NOT be a black shadow. It's part of my life saving gear. The arms need colour so that if I raise my arm I can be seen.

I have a candidate that I'm considering that is far more than I've ever considered spending on a dry suit... Like at least twice the price of the last one.

Anyway... It has 'fabric feet' which are a new concept to me. They are made of " "Goretex" " and so don't stick to themselves like latex ones do. Latex is 100% waterproof. Whatever anyone says I class Goretex as 99.9999% proof. But damage latex it's never a pin prick it always runs. So I'm told by the marketing spin these are more robust.

I wear wet boots over my latex socks. Two sizes larger than my shoe size. Hoping the non latex ones will fit.

Anyone got any real world experience with these 'fabric feet' ? If so are they comfy? What footwear you wearing them with?
Old 08 May 2016, 07:56   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Hi
Yep, I have these on my diving dry suit. Basically it's just the leg carried onto the toes rather than stopping at the ankles.

I wear a pair of these under them in the winter - Fur lined Thinsulate Socks - Reed Chillcheater and normal socks in the summer.

I find them comfy and so much nicer than latex if I end up with no socks on, which happens often as I also have them on my dry trousers which I'll throw on when required.

They aren't as robust as boots but so much better then socks. I use either Warmer boots or Merrills over them. You will need to look after them, especially when changing as stones will do them no good, but that's what changing / car mats are for.

We've a load of the thermal booties in the dive club for sale at £5 plus postage if you fancied some.........

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2016, 08:13   #3

Thanks Treerat.

Dumb question time... Are "Warmer Boots" a brand of boot or just boots that are warmer than the Merrill's?

No-one wears integrated boots to dinghy sail... They just aren't suitable. Likewise while hiking boots work on a rib they are too clumpy on a dinghy. Generally you don't want laces for hiking as it's just gonna dig in.

I'm sure my range of ski and hiking socks will be fine underneath. It was over the top I was concerned about.
Old 08 May 2016, 08:23   #4

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Warmers are a style - Northern Diver - Rock Swim Heavy Duty Wet Boot Footwear - but we didn't pay this much for them.

There is no warmth in the fabric sock so your thermal ones will be required until everything warms up.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2016, 09:19   #5

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 75
I have a 'Typhoon Eezedon' which has glideskin neck and wrist seals, with fabric socks. I wear these boots over the top.

SEAC - DRY SUIT ROCK BOOTS Ideal for Scuba Dive Kayak Canoe Sailing Coasteering | eBay

Fantastic suit, and so glad that I went down the fabric sock route. Only downside from your point of view, it is all black.......
Old 08 May 2016, 12:21   #6

They do a blue topped easy don...

But I'm actually looking at the PS330 Extreme
Old 08 May 2016, 12:50   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
But I'm actually looking at the PS330 Extreme
£600 and it doesn't even have a pee zip...
Old 08 May 2016, 13:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
£600 and it doesn't even have a pee zip...
Well a Pee Zip isn't on my hit list - I have the bladder control of an elephant. But it would be a useful to have feature I guess.

While its not listed on typhoon's spec - I think they think for that level of suit its a given... look at 6:30 on the most annoying video review ever produced:

(And errm... incase SWMBO is reading its UNDER £600. £594 is under... ;-) )

I started off looking at a £300 equator, then a £500 but its hard not to appreciate the features on the extreme...
Old 08 May 2016, 15:55   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
My drysuit has fabric feet, and I wear a thin pair of thermal socks underneath and wetsuit boots on top.

They felt like they were going to be uncomfortable at first, but after a few minutes it all settled down and was fine.

Bear in mind that the Typhoon 3 year warranty doesn't cover the feet, whatever they are made of. Having said that, their customer service is great and they repaired mine free of charge when they started leaking after 18 months and replaced all the seals for a token amount while they were at it.
Old 08 May 2016, 17:45   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I just bought a new suit from seaskin @ aqua land Leeds £450 inc & post commercial grade breathable fabric made to measure with neoprene boots front entry zip and neoprene seals there are options on zips,boots, seals pockets I put one pocket on for that price they also have bracers to hold bottom up, no need for pee zip you can reach ok cold weather you might need an extension pipe

Cheers
Old 08 May 2016, 19:28   #11

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Good choice Jeff just carry a piece of drain pipe for when it's cold 😃
Old 11 May 2016, 09:03   #12

I've a couple of drysuits, the one I use for RIB stuff is a Musto HPX which has goretex socks, it's great, I wear it with warm sailing boots assuming I'm not expecting to go deep into the water. If I am, or for my work in SAR, I use Goliath Water Rescue Boots, Goliath Drysuit Boot - Safequip

Either way I wear Merino wool walking socks underneath and have never suffered with cold feet.

The goretex socks of the HPX suit are much easier and comfier to get on and off than the latex on my rescue suit.
Old 12 May 2016, 14:50   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Anyway... It has 'fabric feet' which are a new concept to me. They are made of " "Goretex" " and so don't stick to themselves like latex ones do. Latex is 100% waterproof.

I wear wet boots over my latex socks. Two sizes larger than my shoe size. Hoping the non latex ones will fit.
My (diving) drysuit has compressed neoprene socks. I wear a pair of tennis shoes (old school - Chuck Taylors - aka Converse All Stars) a couple of sizes larger than my shoe size (but I'm also wearing a couple of pairs of heavy wool socks.)

Latex is somewhat fragile, and degrades over time; I would say it's not ideal for socks on a drysuit.

jky