Old 01 December 2008, 08:53   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
dry suits?!?!?!

Im trying to work out the vlue of a dry suit!!

Migrating from a hard boat to a rib i seriously under estimated how cold a rib would be!!

SO whats a dry suit do apart from keep you dry?? Or does it keep you warm too??

do you wear clothes or thermals underneath.... is it a major clothes change to go the the pub after??

Old 01 December 2008, 09:15   #2
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
I've only just started with RIB's this winter and keeping warm was my first concern.
I got a XL drysuit so I could fit clothes underneath. I wear jeans, T-shirt, fleece easily and I'm like toast. Just make sure what ever your wearing doesn't have a high collar as this will tighten the neck seal, something I found out
Old 01 December 2008, 09:17   #3
JSP

Another good idea is a balaclava and one of these
Old 01 December 2008, 10:33   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
A drysuit is essential Rib wear if you plan on going out on cold and wet days. If I am out on a nice sunny but cold day then I stick to salopettes and a good Jacket like the Gill Key west stuff as they are a little less difficult to get on and off when I get to the pub!

Gill Key West

When I wear my drysuit or indeed if its cold and I am in the salopettes I have a base layer trousers and top like this ..

Base Layer

then a midlayer which normally I would wear some fleece trousers and top

Mid Layer

Sometimes with the drysuit I will just wear it over the top of whatever I am wearing on the day if its not too cold and I just want protection from the wet. However If you plan on going out in cold conditions I would go with the layers.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 10:35   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Oh yes the balaclava is great as are a really good pair of waterproof gloves. A Helmet with a visor is good or alternatively some of these....

Oakley Jetski Goggles

BTW when you buy gloves dont get tight fitting ones or you will never get them on when you hands are cold and wet and you will get really pissed off and throw them overboard

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 12:08   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
A membrane (normal) drysuit will only keep you dry, a neoprene drysuit will keep you dry and warm.
I usually where my normal clothes with a diving type thermal suit thingy. Its sometimes more cofrtable and warmer to where shorts with the thermal liner. The liner is designed to take sweat away from your body so you stay dry and warm.
Diving type gloves are good but you lose some feel when working ropes etc.
Gecko helmets are excellent but expensive.

Good luck.
Old 01 December 2008, 16:30   #7

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
At the risk of another tree hugging safety comment...!
For me, it's a matter of safety in the winter.
A dry suit (if suitable under and mid layers are worn) will keep you alive a bit longer if you end up in the piss. Wear one in the dark at this time of year and or if, on your own.

P.S. don't put the codders mobile in a freezer bag in your jeans pocket underneath
Old 01 December 2008, 16:45   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
A drysuit keeps you dry by the property of being well, waterproof.

It keeps you warm by the virtue of insulation. How that insulation is afforded is variable:

An uncrushed neoprene suit (similar to a wetsuit, but with neck, wrist, and optional ankle seals or boots, and a waterproof zipper) has inherent insulation from the bubbles in the material.

Any other type of drysuit (trilaminate, crushed neoprene, butyl rubber) gets insulation from undergarment bulk, which traps air between the suit and your skin. Divers usually use either a very heavy fleece or quilted synthetic fiber-filled jump suit (2 piece outfits have the tendency to creep, leaving gaps) to get the air layer. Generally, it's some material that will be a bit hydrophobic (not absorb much water), and one that retains bulk if it does get wet.

For ribbing, you probably don't need an expensive diving type undergarment; you're not going to be submerged for long periods of time, and the odds of flooding the suit are small. I would think that normal clothes (though most natural fibers can be worse than worthless when wet - up to you) would work well for non-emergency situations. The waterproof property of the suit also means that wind will not penetrate, so you have only convective cooling of the suit's surface to cool your body. You can get by with less than you would wear without the suit.

A good warm hat and gloves, and possibly a balaclava will go a long ways in keeping you warm.

As to how much hassle it is to get in and out, well, that probably depends on the suit. Boots/ankle seals will determine whether you have to take off boots and put on another pair, or simply remove the suit and put on shoes. How much you wear underneath will determine whether you need to layer up after removing the suit. Front or back zip will determine whether you need someone to help you get in and out. Lots of variables.

jky
Old 01 December 2008, 16:46   #9

Can't remember if it was at the Lifeboat College or when I did my survival but someone did 24hrs in the water in the middle of winter in a drysuit and thermals. It was all supervised but the lad did it no problems.

You'll be surprised how cold the water is during the summer.

On the Atlantics we were exactly the same gear during the winter as we do in the summer!
Old 01 December 2008, 17:56   #10

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Im trying to work out the vlue of a dry suit!!

Migrating from a hard boat to a rib i seriously under estimated how cold a rib would be!!

SO whats a dry suit do apart from keep you dry?? Or does it keep you warm too??

do you wear clothes or thermals underneath.... is it a major clothes change to go the the pub after??

I don't think that a dry suit has much better intrinsic warmth value than a set of full offshore (high collar, good hood etc) breathable waterproofs with good sailing boots (plus hat gloves etc). It might have a slight edge.

It won't even keep you much drier in my experience when on the boat unless you really insist on throwing green water lumps into the boat.

But it will definitely, no question, keep you alive and able to deal with the situation a lot longer if you end up in the sea. Then keeping the insulating layers underneath dry will absolutely save you. Don't forget that (contrary to popular belief) it actually takes several hours to die from hypothermia even in cold water. What can kill within seconds or a couple of minutes is Cold Shock. Cold Incapacitation then kicks in and quickly stops you being able to swim or self rescue. Without a PFD you can easily be dead within 10 mins. With a PFD it's a different matter!

So IMHO value, out of the water depends... in the water, no contest.
Old 01 December 2008, 17:59   #11

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Seems like I'm not a tree hugger after all!
Old 01 December 2008, 19:54   #12

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Without a PFD you can easily be dead within 10 mins. With a PFD it's a different matter!
Absolutely.

There is another point to consider. What is less well known in this context is that if you're wearing the extra buoyancy that a drysuit/wetsuit/survival suit provides, you actually should wear a lifejacket with greater buoyancy than otherwise (probably a 275N jacket rather than 150N). There are two problems that come with extra buoyancy in the wrong place. One is that the extra buoyancy that comes with air around your legs causes your lower body to float higher in the water, and that changed body attitude pushes your head further back and your airways aren't held clear of the water in the same way. Second, the air trapped inside (and the same can apply to oilies) can be caught around your back and make it hard - maybe impossible if the wearer is unconscious - to correctly turn you face up in the water

Your choice of PFD needs to be informed by what you're wearing
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 20:28   #13
JSP

Looks like I'll need to get myself a 275N then.
After getting into the drysuit I always crouch down on the floor and open the kneck seal. You wouldn't believe how much air comes out.
Cheers for that info gents
Old 01 December 2008, 20:33   #14

Forgot to mention about the trapped air. Once you have the dry suit on fold your arms across your chest and pull your neck seal out and crouch down letting most (but not all) the excess air out of your suit.

The crewsaver jackets we have are bulky but have built in foam buoyancy and a seperate bladder for air inflation.

http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver...l?catid=62#152

Have a look at the RIB 150N, they the ones we use, they do provide a bit of wind protection too.
Old 01 December 2008, 21:19   #15
JSP

fourhundredandseventy-How much! Looks a good piece of kit though.
Old 01 December 2008, 21:36   #16

Town: Renfrew
Boat name: 9504
Make: Halmatic
Engine: D6-350
BassBoy Seems like I'm not a tree hugger after all!
Forgot to mention about the trapped air. Once you have the dry suit on fold your arms across your chest and keep farting as far as you can go missing the follow through keep your neck seal shut and crouch down keeping most all the excess marsh gas in of your suit.
and you should float
Yer still a tree hugger
Ps
Buy a life jacket
Old 01 December 2008, 21:44   #17

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon SR4.0
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Drysuit? HUGE difference when out. . .

It was actually my hospital consultant who told me to get my drysuit - an experienced Ribber, he (rightly) believed that the inherent dryness and added warmth-enabling qualities of a drysuit would let me continue to use my SR4 in the face of osteo-arthritis.
Still has a couple of issues though - keeping hands and feet warm.
Hands - stopped using my Henri Lloyd neoprene gloves and switched to Sealskin (merely a tradename ) - layers of wool, breathable membrane and tough knitted nylon outer with gripped fingers & palms. Though designed for land-based outdooring, excellent on the RIB

Have still to find a solution to the warm feet issue - currently using layered socks under the latex boots with neoprene outer boots. Any ideas anyone?
Old 01 December 2008, 21:55   #18
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperbob View Post

Have still to find a solution to the warm feet issue - currently using layered socks under the latex boots with neoprene outer boots. Any ideas anyone?
Heated insoles with thermal socks and a booted drysuit. I bought Sixy some a couple of years ago and they are apparently wonderful.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 22:00   #19
JSP

I'm using Ski gloves and on my feet have thermal socks under the drysuit sock then put a sailing wellie on. Seems to work so far but them fishing wellies with the big foam sock look good. Unless you go for a swim.
Old 01 December 2008, 22:10   #20

Town: Renfrew
Boat name: 9504
Make: Halmatic
Engine: D6-350
Having used various dry suits over the years and working in an offshore enviroment the ones we now use are multifab and they have inbuilt thermal insulation plus what you are wearing under the suit gives you the best chance to survive in this hostile enviroment
Ps
And a life jacket