Old 22 July 2003, 13:39   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Dry Suits

Anybody recommend a good/cheap drysuit. Indeed can you get a good cheap dry suit ar do you need to spend lots of money.

Also are they made in such a way so that they fit over your normal clothes and are the boots built in.

Many Thanks in anticipation for any help.

Nick
Old 22 July 2003, 14:26   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Nick

I bought a HH dry suit from a factory outlet shop in Ashford, Kent late last year for £120, its not gortex and does not breath but for that amount of money it was well worth it, i went in intending to buy a jacket to compliment my Henry Lloyd gortex salopettes and ended up buying a full dry suit, when i bought it i thought as the knees or bum are not padded then its not going to last too long but its been ok so far, and if i have to replace it every other year then its a fairly cheap outlay.

You can spend as much money as you really want, dry suits range up from the very basic to complete gortex breathable suits with pockets and zips everywhere, there's lots of different manufacturers offering all sorts of custom fitted suits and custom seals.

Things to remember if you go and try one on is that you will want to wear some form of thermal clothing underneath and the suit needs to be able to move enough for you to bend and sit comfortably whilst wearing it, if your likely to be wearing whilst on your own i'd suggest going for a front closing zip as a back one will require a second person to help.

Hope this helps a little do a search on the internet as there's loads of manufacturers, do a search on ribnet as there's been loads of talk about dry suits and feel free to ask any more questions.

Richard
Old 22 July 2003, 14:31   #3

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Sorry forgot to mention mine has not got boots attached to it, if you buy one with boots attached it will be more money and if its got rubber socks rather than boots they will wear through unless you ware shoes or boots over them.
I cant comment if boots are a good thing or not as i dont have them on mine, i manage fine with mine the way it is and wear 5mm neoprean dive boots.

Richard
Old 22 July 2003, 15:22   #4

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi Nick

I can thoroughly recommend the Ravenspring Rapide breathable drysuit. Mine has the boots fitted and I would also recommend them.

A few people I've spoken to who had the 'socks' said that next time they'd get the one with boots on.

Regards

Keith Hart
Old 22 July 2003, 15:53   #5

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Nick

I got mine some years ago from Robin Hood Watersports in Heckmondwike http://www.roho.co.uk and it is still going strong, even after three seasons teaching kayaking then recreational use for a further 3 years. (Sods law says a seal will break on the next use)

They make made to measure at no extra charge and are very helpful with different options.

Mine doesn't have rubber socks or boots it has ankle seals the same as at the wrist. I can then wear whatever footwear I want. (usually neoprean boots).

Cheers

Mike
Old 22 July 2003, 16:44   #6

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Drysuits

Mine's a Trident, bought 4 years ago.

It ain't breathable, so I have to take dry clothes everywhere, but it still looks like new, and I haven't seen it leak yet.

It has boots attached, and I wear neoprene dinghy boots over them.

I'm thinking about getting a new one (expanding waistline), but I'd recommend this make to anyone and I'm going to pass it on to my 15 year old.

Jon
Old 22 July 2003, 16:54   #7

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Definately go with a breathable suit of some sort. I use my Otter Watersports diving drysuit, which is a seriously heavy duty trilaminate suit. Built like a bloody tank, made to measure (though sadly for someone else, who was shorter and fatter than moi). Keeps the water out, is tough, but makes you sweat like anything. Has attached boots (duh, otherwise it's not much cop for diving) and when I get round to getting a breathable suit, I'm going with boots rather than attached socks.

Old 22 July 2003, 17:23   #8

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Ravenspring Rapide I recommend with the boots fitted. The fly zip is also worth having. They will also fit reflective tape if required.

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2003, 17:36   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Agree with David. Not cheap, however. You won't have much change left from £400, but you do get what you pay for. And if you go cheaper, you won't actually stay dry.

BTW - do a search on "drysuits" this has been a popular discusion topic before.
Old 22 July 2003, 17:42   #10

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Be damned careful with the seals and zips too, they're the weak points. Forcing your hands through the wrist seals is a great way to cause leaks, and you won't notice until you take the suit off.
Old 22 July 2003, 17:54   #11

Biggles, If you're about seven feet tall, then Mike Garside had a Musto HPX drysuit for sale a little while ago. Size XXXL i think Dunno if it sold?
Old 22 July 2003, 17:57   #12

Re: Dry Suits

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggles
Also are they made in such a way so that they fit over your normal
- Also do a search on "Dinner Jacket" - you'll be surprised at what it throws up!
Old 22 July 2003, 19:33   #13

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Dry Suits

Thanks Everyone for the replies now I'll work my way through the internet and see what the different manufacturers are aoffering

Nick
Old 22 July 2003, 22:17   #14

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Hi Nick,

I had etter declare an interest first as we are Agents in Ireland for Ravenspring's range of made to measure Dry Suits !

Dry suits are designed to keep you dry ...Not warm !

It is the Mid Later and Base layer that keep you warm and comfortable.

A wickable / breathable mid layer such as a wooly bear or a purpose built two piece mid layer such as we sell will keep you warm. You can also use the layer system of polo necks, sweat shirts etc. Be careful of wearing say a fleece with a high zip as the zip can potentially catch in / compromise the neck seal.

A base layer ( thermal underwear ) if it is wickable / breathable will keep you comfortable and remove moisture from next to the skin. Stops you feeling hot and sweaty in warm weather and cold and clammy in cold weather!

With the exception of windsurf / dinghy sailors, I would strongly reccomend built in boots on your drysuit.

Breathable is a must have if you are regularly out for more than an hour as is an integral fly zip!

When being measured for a dry suit be careful to allow for the mid and base layer underneath!!!

Best wishes,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote