Old 06 May 2003, 08:50   #11

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Hi

Drysuit every time. I used neoprene waders and waterproof tops for the first couple of years and this year purhcased a drysuit. My Ravenspring breathable drysuit was £350.00 very well spent. It extends your comfort and safety zones 1,000%

I got two extra suits for my part time crew through the 'wanted' forum right here on RibNet, at very good prices.

Go for the drysuits.

Keith (the voice of experience) Hart

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2003, 09:59   #12

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
One used Ravenspring Large Drysuit

surplus to requirements (I had a new one made last year a little more generous in cut and with the all important comfort zip) will be available to anyone who wants to make me a sensible offer at next weekends gathering in Plymouth.

The point about drysuits not giving thermal insulation is well worth making. If you are getting one made to measure (as Ravenspring will do at no extra cost) make it big enough to fit your thermals underneath. Also they are breathable the correct thing to do is to use layers of synthetic material i.e. thermal underwear and the mid layer fleece. Avoid cotton which just holds onto your sweat when you get a bit hot!

Old 06 May 2003, 10:18   #13

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Quote:
If you are getting one made to measure (as Ravenspring will do at no extra cost) make it big enough to fit your thermals underneath
Ravenspring tell you that they already make allowances for bulky clothing underneath the suit. They tell you that you do not need to add any extra inches!

I can't imagine that many drysuits are worn in countries where it is warm enough NOT to wear thermals.

Keith (bulk the hulk) Hart

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2003, 10:52   #14

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Dry suits

I found my current dry suit at the HH shop at Mc Arthey Glen factory outlet in Ashford Kent late last year and paid the princely sum of £120 for it, not bad considering i'd been looking around for an XXl of the shelf suit for some time and was about to give up and buy a made to measure. My suit is more of a dingy sailing suit and i'd have prefered to have the rubbing patches on the knees, legs and bum area and of course there is only one zip to, but for the money if it only lasts one or two years it will be a great buy. I wore it for the first time this year whilst doing my level 2 powerboat course and loved it, strangely most of the other candidates turned up in golfing trousers and tops and some other weird collections of what they thought were water proof clothing :-) first one over the bow sorted that out for them lol lol.

So if you can afford it go buy a made to measure as there's nothing quite like having something tailored exactly to your requirments, if you have time and considering we are coming into summer shop around for end of season bargains and see what you can get, being new to ribbing myself i do understand the vast costs getting started, fortunately for me i've been kayaking for many years and most of my kit can be jigged to fit my new hobby, plus i've been in and around ribs for a year or so now so slowly collected bits to make myself more comfortable for the next time i got to go out. i also found the two boat shows very good (especially South Hampton) for picking up cheap off shore clothing, having found a pair of Henry Lloyd gortex off shore long johns in xxl size for the knock down price of £60, well worth the drive down and deffinately worth a hunt around the bargain bins.

Then comes the problem of what to dress your guests in when you get to take people out, but suspect thats another thread

R
Old 06 May 2003, 10:54   #15

Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
I originally bought a Typhoon Alpha with a front entry (diagonal) and latex socks. I thought it was excellent, but my feet got cold!! I wore it with yachting wellies over the latex socks, which I got on with the aid of the proverbial polythene bin bag! However, even though I made the wellies self draining in the end, I could not keep my feet remotely warm in winter.

I have now invested in a Ravenspring "Rapide" (back entry) with neoprene lined hard boots. Heaven!! It also has a "comfort" zip which whilst eminently useful, has left me feeling woefully inadequate!!

For ultimate comfort, I vastly prefer my yachtie stuff, but on a RIB, practicality counts, and dry suits are the best.

One Typhoon alpha XL with two season's use for sale by the way!
Old 06 May 2003, 11:39   #16

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
On the note of selling dry suits. One of my friends who is sometimes on this forum wet him self in a back zipped dry suit because he could not get out and their was no one around he then sold it to another friend and told him after about a year. Ha ha quite funny I think
Old 06 May 2003, 12:08   #17

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
Being a diver, I had a drysuit long before I got a rib. I've got a Thinsulate undersuit for diving, and some gill 1st layer thermals for cold water diving. The dive undersuits are really heavy duty sleeping bags made in human shape, and are the best thing you can get. The Weezle range of undersuits is especially good : windproof, water resistant and seriously warm. They come in different thicknesses as well, and you can get boots for your feet for them as well.

http://www.weezle.demon.co.uk/wds/undersuits.html

Ricky
Old 06 May 2003, 16:06   #18

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
Whilst not knocking Weezle Ricky (I've got a diver who swears by them) I tried one, and b----y froze. Something didn't work. Always found DUI wooly bears great, you come out of the dry bag looking soaking - but your skins dry, the wicking effect they've got is magnificent.