Old 27 November 2012, 22:28   #41

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.
Agree, and I am guilty of thread drift too.

Back to the OP, in the summer if its nice I will wade in in shorts and flip flops. The rest of the time I wear these Ron Thompson Neo-Force Waders (Cleated 40/41, UK shoe size 6/7) | GO Outdoors

The reason why I prefer waders is I have a newish car and it is easy to jump out of these quickly to drive the boat and trailer up the slip after launching/recovery without getting saltwater in the car. Did it once in a rush in a drysuit with my wellies on and the wells were full of water when I sat down all the salt water in the wellies went all over the foot well....not good and stains

I suppose a drysuit is safer if you tend to launch in deep water in case you slip over. You will struggle to get up if your waders fill up. As I know the depth of my rib I am never more than knee height when launching/recovering.

Hope this is helpful
That's great thanks will go that route rather than a 300 pound dry suit! Will just have to make sure I don't fall over!!

As I've said new to all this stuff have been spoilt in the past all the ribs I've been on have been from floating berths! Which I can't afford!! So having to get to grips with launch / recovery etc

Thanks for all the replies makes and interesting read! I don't think I will be throwing myself in at speed though
Old 28 November 2012, 07:22   #42

Dry suit every time for me ! I am a all year round all weather user and find the dry suit the best and never leaks, it's warm in the winter and cooler in the one day of summer . You can add or remove under clothing at anytime but when you have a wet suit on that's not a option
Old 28 November 2012, 07:29   #43

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
I'd agree. Unless you're loaded, intending to go out for hours in heavy weather or attempt long cruises/offshore trips or launch daily in winter a dry suit is an extravagance in my eyes.

A decent sailing jacket, fleece, wellies and trousers are far more versatile/leisure friendly when stopping off at places, removing some of them when the sun comes out and using for other purposes in life like walking.

I personally use sailing jacket, fleece, cheap waterproof trousers, waterproof north face walking trainers and sealskinz waterproof socks.

We cruise and stop off at pubs, beaches and towns, you look a bit of a ???? In a full dry suit.

Dry suits are fairly extreme for a general open boat user.

Waders are a handy option for launching, though wellies will normally suffice. If you have a roller trailer and are at an ok slip, you shouldn't need to get feet wet!!!

Welcome by the way, enjoy your boating and make an informed decision based on all these comments. Only you know what's worth spending your hard earned dollar on and what would work for you.
Old 28 November 2012, 07:52   #44

Town: Swindon
Boat name: PAAF 1
Make: Temptress
Engine: Yamaha Petrol V6 175
Simple - Wet suit in summer & Dry Suit in winter (Check e-bay for a s/hand one)
Old 28 November 2012, 07:56   #45

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That's just the kind of thing I mean - I also used to wear your girlfriend's tights when you were out fishing...

Thanks for making a miserable Wednesday morning a bit brighter
Old 28 November 2012, 09:47   #46

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yeah, I get that too sometimes - we have more in common than I realised.
That's just the kind of thing I mean - I also used to wear your girlfriend's tights when you were out fishing...

you just dont need any encouragement
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2012, 12:01   #47

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Drysuits are ok but are not intended for long-term immersion;
Mmm why do some white water kayakers wear them then.

The OP mentioned for winter launching so ribbing in winter for me a dry suit is a must neoprene neck and cuffs are more comfy and probably better for boat use although latex does give a much better seal against water ingress. I also disagree with another members comment that latex perishes in a short time my suit is 4 years old and looked after, the latex is as good now as the day I bought the suit.
Old 28 November 2012, 12:06   #48

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Your gonna regret that question as all the usual comedians will pounce on it
Funny that!! there has been no mention of B.S. suits since this comment
Old 28 November 2012, 12:36   #49

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Funny that!! there has been no mention of B.S. suits since this comment
Silence is golden
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2012, 14:08   #50

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Tend to use neoprene thigh waders & sailing jacket when beach launching
for inshore boat angling and typhoon breathable drysuit for offshore use
I find my neoprene diving suit a bit heavy for surface boat handling
Old 28 November 2012, 15:41   #51

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
For me it depends on the launch site and what the goals of the day are. If there is a nice dock and we plan on going for a cruise then typically we are found in street clothes. If the launch site does not have a dock but a nice beach, then often we just beach to pickup passengers, and again in full street clothes. Sometimes a victim doesn't time the swells correctly and gets a shoe wet. My boat trailer allows me to drive on and off of it, so no need to get wet.

When going scuba diving...always in a dry suit. Spent two warm hours yesterday underwater, stayed dry, except sweat, and the launch and recovery require getting in the water. We also have to anchor the boat out so we swim to and from the boat wearing our scuba fins. As mentioned above it is very hard to swim in a drysuit with thick undies. Recovery yesterday due to low tides required putting the transom wheels on and dragging it up the steep boat ramp with the truck, before putting it back on the trailer.

Now as to landing in the water at speed in a drysuit, we have done it thousands of times. We call it wakeboarding and I have crashed in every possible flailing position. Yes sometimes you take water up the sleeves or down the neck, but mostly they are dry. Unless there is a problem they do not leak. Latex is a far better seal for water than neoprene, but today it is all about silicon. Silicon requires a mounting system though.

Wetsuits work okay, but I always seem to get cold in my 7mm semi-dry, and I would never scuba dive again in cold water in a wetsuit. Plus I find the wind on wet neoprene chills me rather quickly. Wetsuit does get used for kayaking in cold water.
Old 28 November 2012, 16:43   #52

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
It depends on the slip and the weather.

1. If i'm going to be wearing a dry suit on the rib then i'll use it for launch and recovery. I won't wear it for only launching and recovering.
2. Sometimes when it's warm i'm happy to get my feet (I'll wear sharx deck shoes) and shorts wet.
3. If it's cooler then i'll use boat wellies unless the slipway is a bit steep or there are a few wavelets when i'll use hip waders. I won't use chest waders as i've heard too many sad tales about fishermen drowning when they've fallen over. (It nearly happened to one of my friends when he tripped whilst fly-fishing but fortunately he managed to get rescued).

My current favourite option is getting launched by the tractor from the park and ride where i currently have my boat.
Old 28 November 2012, 20:28   #53

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
As I am diving mostly I will wear my trusty Otter drysuit. It is just that a DRYSUIT. Thermal protection comes in the form of some pretty fancy undergarments. The thing I find most uncomfortable is when exerting myself, (swimming/ walking to the boat if is at the end of the pontoon/ winching the boat back on the trailer etc) then I sweat a little. That then goes cold and I spend the rest of the time uncomfortable. It's a real bugger if this happens at the start of the day. I have been to sea with my immersion suit on but I feel a little vulnerable. I suspect I would not last 5 mins if I went over the side.
When diving we often have 1.5 hour run times, warm as toast everytime.
Drysuit for me everytime!

Lee
Old 28 November 2012, 20:48   #54

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdad View Post
As I am diving mostly I will wear my trusty Otter drysuit. I have been to sea with my immersion suit on but I feel a little vulnerable. I suspect I would not last 5 mins if I went over the side.
I've just been to Otter's website; their suits look amazing. They're much more heavy duty that my Gill. Perhaps it's what you mean by 'immersion suit'. Anyway, what are those valve thingys on the dry suits for?
Old 28 November 2012, 23:19   #55

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yam 115
There will be an inflation valve for injecting air from the tank into your suit & a dump valve.
The valves are there for inflating & releasing the air that you put in to your suit to overcome the pressure & squeeze of the surrounding water on the way down & back up to the surface.
And adjusting your bouyancy to attain a neutral position at whatever depth.
As far as using for surface, you don't need any valves on your suit!
I use a Gill 2 piece suit with wellies in summer if its fine, sometimes shorts, t-shirt & lifejacket! Winter will be a drysuit with decent thickness 'wooley-bear' underneath.
Always prepare for it to be colder at sea!!!! Have fun!
Old 29 November 2012, 10:31   #56

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Horses for courses. Calm weather in (warm?) summer on a good slip = shorts & flip flops. Beach launch on a sh1tty day= Drysuit. Perm anything in between. Tractor launching at Ty Calch on a nice day= Immersion suit. As the OP asked specifically about winter, it would be drysuit every time, I ain't going out to sea in winter in anything but. There's no right or wrong, just what suits the conditions, experience will tell.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2012, 11:16   #57

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Horses for courses. Calm weather in (warm?) summer on a good slip = shorts & flip flops. Beach launch on a sh1tty day= Drysuit. Perm anything in between. Tractor launching at Ty Calch on a nice day= Immersion suit. As the OP asked specifically about winter, it would be drysuit every time, I ain't going out to sea in winter in anything but. There's no right or wrong, just what suits the conditions, experience will tell.
Adding to what Pikey said..which has got to be right...I would also say that the safetey element afforded be a Good Dry suit should not be underestimated. In adverse conditions-Long Offshore cruiseing-Heavey Sea's-Night passages-effecting a rescue,ect ect, Regarless of Good Tempreture Sunny skys and all....IF the worse happens and you end up in the Drink...you have ALOT better chance of surviveing to tell the tale in a Good well made Drysuit..(You wnt last long in UK waters even if you have the Best Tow piece on Earth)for that reason,regardless of the weather..IMO when you're 'Pushing the envelope' it pays to suit up.
Oh and in Winter the choice of under-garmnts and a good Layered system is just as important as getting the right Drysuit for you!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2012, 13:56   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

Adding to what Pikey said..which has got to be right...I would also say that the safetey element afforded be a Good Dry suit should not be underestimated. In adverse conditions-Long Offshore cruiseing-Heavey Sea's-Night passages-effecting a rescue,ect ect, Regarless of Good Tempreture Sunny skys and all....IF the worse happens and you end up in the Drink...you have ALOT better chance of surviveing to tell the tale in a Good well made Drysuit..(You wnt last long in UK waters even if you have the Best Tow piece on Earth)for that reason,regardless of the weather..IMO when you're 'Pushing the envelope' it pays to suit up.
Oh and in Winter the choice of under-garmnts and a good Layered system is just as important as getting the right Drysuit for you!
You cant say better than that ! You only get one chance if it goes all peat tong , so it's better to be right first time and be to hot than being Baltic ! As said you can remove items of clothing or even add with a dry suit
Old 29 November 2012, 15:47   #59

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasba

You cant say better than that ! You only get one chance if it goes all peat tong , so it's better to be right first time and be to hot than being Baltic ! As said you can remove items of clothing or even add with a dry suit
Makes me laugh folk spend thousands on ribs but quibble if they have to spend 2 to 3 hundred on a decent dry suit
Earlier this year we went up the Menai and one rib had a problem with his prop the guy was able to get in the water to have a look as he was wearing a dry suit.
Old 29 November 2012, 16:37   #60

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick

Makes me laugh folk spend thousands on ribs but quibble if they have to spend 2 to 3 hundred on a decent dry suit
Earlier this year we went up the Menai and one rib had a problem with his prop the guy was able to get in the water to have a look as he was wearing a dry suit.
It's because they don't keep you dry, apparently...........