Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Dry Suit

I am in the market for a new one.
Any suggestions?

Want breathable, neoprene neck and cuffs and front zip.
Oh and cheap would be a right bonus!

Many thanks in advance

Regards
Old 25 January 2005, 08:28   #2

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Hi J.B, I hate to....

.....poo poo your post, however if you do a search on this very subject, you'll find we discussed this topic only a week or so ago - good luck.
Old 25 January 2005, 08:33   #3

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
.....poo poo your post, however if you do a search on this very subject, you'll find we discussed this topic only a week or so ago - good luck.
Poo poo away, i will do that very thing.
Just being lazy I guess!
Old 25 January 2005, 08:41   #4

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Richard reckons Ravenspring (I know, I've said it before ). They meet all your criteria apart from the neoprene neck seal (oh, but they're not particularly cheap but nowhere near as expensive as some!), but you could ask them if they would supply one instead of their standard latex one. As each suit is custom made it may be possible. HTH

Edit: anyway, regarding 'cheap' - surely (as an Icom man) you realise that you get what you pay for!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2005, 09:08   #5

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Just as a matter of interest, what's the big deal with these Ravenspring drysuits apart from the fact that they're available with hard boots? I checked them out at the Boat Show a year ago before I bought my Typhoon and I'm afraid I failed to see what all the fuss is about. The material is incredibly thin and reminiscent of a cheap anorak from Millets, the stitching looked equally fragile, they're not available with neoprene seals (and boy, don't they make a difference), they only come in a conservative shade of blue with yellow trim and they're more expensive than much of the competition because of course they're hand-built, Sir (like an Aston Martin).
Old 25 January 2005, 09:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
Just as a matter of interest, what's the big deal with these Ravenspring drysuits
I think Richard reckons they're more comfortable than others (because they are custom made?). Richard has had his for 3 or 4 years now and despite not looking after it particularly well it shows no sign of wear, no seams undoing, etc. Several forum members recommended them which helped Richard make his decision. I believe they do have neoprene wrist and ankle covers which fit over the latex seals. Also, if you don't like the navy and gold it comes in navy and mulberry or navy and faded denim (for you style-conscious ribsters ).

BTW, please excuse my ignorance, but will neoprene cuffs form a waterproof seal as effectively as the latex does? (This is a genuine question, not a poor attempt at being clever . )
Old 25 January 2005, 09:33   #7

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
but will neoprene cuffs form a waterproof seal as effectively as the latex does?
They certainly seem to whenever I've dunked my arms in the water. Haven't had to dunk my neck yet, though By the way, Lou, don't you think that winking smilie is a rather fetching shade of denim blue?
Old 25 January 2005, 09:39   #8

Is denim blue the new black? And if so, have you got your RR booked in for a respray yet?
Old 25 January 2005, 09:52   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Ravenspring

because they are made to measure.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2005, 10:16   #10

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Neoprene wrist & neck seals are just as good for keeping out water & they are more comfortable when worn all day (no looking like someone has strung you up by the neck, a problem I suffer from with the latex seals.) My diving drysuit has Neoprene seals & I wouldn’t go back to a drysuit until I found somewhere that done membrane suits with Neoprene seals.
I then found someone who lives less than half a mile from me and manufactures made to measure dry suits.
They may not be the cheapest but if you want something a little different have a look at their website & give them a ring, if its possible they will do it.

http://www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk/

They get my
Old 25 January 2005, 10:48   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Just as a matter of interest, what's the big deal with these Ravenspring drysuits apart from the fact that they're available with hard boots? I checked them out at the Boat Show a year ago before I bought my Typhoon . . . The material is incredibly thin and reminiscent of a cheap anorak from Millets, the stitching looked equally fragile.
The material certainly is thin. When I first saw them several years ago, I didn't rate their chances of standing up to regular use on a RIB, however since then I haven't heard anyone with a bad word to say about them. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the fabric. Perhaps this very thinness (is that a word?) makes them more comfortable than some others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
Neoprene wrist & neck seals are just as good for keeping out water & they are more comfortable when worn all day (no looking like someone has strung you up by the neck, a problem I suffer from with the latex seals.)
You've obviously got plenty of experience of drysuits, but do your latex seals fit your neck properly? The most common cause of "hangman's neck" that I have seen is where owners are reluctant to trim back the seal sufficiently for a comfortable fit. I've never tried neoprene seals, but never had a problem with latex ones either.

John
Old 25 January 2005, 11:46   #12

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
You've obviously got plenty of experience of drysuits, but do your latex seals fit your neck properly? The most common cause of "hangman's neck" that I have seen is where owners are reluctant to trim back the seal sufficiently for a comfortable fit. I've never tried neoprene seals, but never had a problem with latex ones either.

John
That was part of the problem John!
I’m not exactly an off the shelf size, even after trimming the neck & wrist seals back as far as I could they were still a bit tight. (The neck would get very sore while my hands would get very cold due to lack of blood flow) I also found out the Neoprene seals last a lot longer than the latex ones, one of my old Neoprene drysuits is still doing the rounds at our club, still with the same neck & wrist seals 10 years after I got it. They may seem a bit more expensive when getting a new suit (I think Brian Hammond charges an extra £21) they soon pay for themselves over a few years, I found the latex ones would get a bit stiff & brittle during the winter months & I was lucky if I could make them last 2 years.
Old 25 January 2005, 12:37   #13

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Oh - please please please....

Quote:
Haven't had to dunk my neck yet, though
.........let me hold your head under the water for that particular test
Old 28 January 2005, 08:34   #14

Town: Pwllheli
Boat name: Whatever I charter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks
I am in the market for a new one.
Any suggestions?

Want breathable, neoprene neck and cuffs and front zip.
Oh and cheap would be a right bonus!

Many thanks in advance

Regards
I have recently purchased a GUL breathable drysuit with neoprene neck, ankle and wrist seals on it. It was very good value for money, as it was only £214 from an internet website.including free postage and packaging
Old 28 January 2005, 08:37   #15

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakwave
I have recently purchased a GUL breathable drysuit with neoprene neck, ankle and wrist seals on it. It was very good value for money, as it was only £214 from an internet website.including free postage and packaging
Where?
Old 28 January 2005, 09:02   #16

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
I’m not exactly an off the shelf size, even after trimming the neck & wrist seals back as far as I could they were still a bit tight. (The neck would get very sore while my hands would get very cold due to lack of blood flow) I also found out the Neoprene seals last a lot longer than the latex ones, one of my old Neoprene drysuits is still doing the rounds at our club, still with the same neck & wrist seals 10 years after I got it. They may seem a bit more expensive when getting a new suit (I think Brian Hammond charges an extra £21) they soon pay for themselves over a few years, I found the latex ones would get a bit stiff & brittle during the winter months & I was lucky if I could make them last 2 years.
Latex seals (both neck and wrist) are sized, small, medium and large. have you got the right size ? Agreed Neoprene lasts longer, however I find the latex give a better seal underwater. Polar Bears do a cuff ring which with a large o ring enables latex seals to be replaced instantly whilst still wearing the suit. Brilliant idea.

Pete
Old 28 January 2005, 09:04   #17

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Quote:

Whenever I get a new suit if it has latex seals I stick the neck seal over the bottom of a bucket for a couple of days and then trim the seal. Everytime it feels like it's getting a bit tight.....back over the bucket it goes.

The same applies for wrist seals and I normally use a thin SS flask to give 'em a stretch for a couple of days.

Whilst I agree that neoprene seals last longer, they don't last that much longer if you look after them and feed the rubber and store it correctly. Also latex are easier to replace when perished!

Admittedly not as comfortable, but then I've never had a latex seal leak and I have had several neoprene ones leak......not nice, very cold and on one occaision it took two of us to get me back to the surface as I wasn't cutting the boots off!
Old 28 January 2005, 09:25   #18

Town: Port St Mary
Boat name: No room for a name
Make: Honwave 2.7 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 5
Try a GUL, Very good quality

I have had Musto and Crewsaver and rate the GUL well above the others for quality and price. Mine came from Mailspeed Marine in Warrington

I agree with others that the Ravenspring looks a little light weight and not well suited (forgive the pun) to SAR opps.
Old 28 January 2005, 10:54   #19

Town: Barnet
Boat name: YKNOT
Make: Plancraft Sports Rib
Engine: Mariner 75
For general rib use, integral boots or not? And why?
Old 28 January 2005, 12:16   #20

Town: Cornwall
Hi all
I know nothing about drysuits (some would say I know nothing about a lot more!)
Seeing Gul mentioned I have used very successfully an outfit called 'Polkerris Wetsuits' down here in Cornwall. They do the trade shows for Gul and as a result often get clearance lines or out of date ( not this years colour) wetsuits/drysuits etc.
May be worth a try on 0870 1996018

« Rib covers | Top | O.r.d.a. »