Old 28 September 2004, 16:08   #1

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Drop Test !

Now over the years I've seen loads of pictures of the drop tests and pictures of the drop and a big splash.

At the end there is a boat sitting in the water.

Has anyone been present when the boat has disintegrated.

All pictures welcome !

Cheers

Mark
Old 28 September 2004, 19:41   #2

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Yes it was great fun!!!.

I went out to the states last year with the RAF to trial some of the boats and engines going out the back of a Hercules they worked very well execpt the first boat which had no parachutes!! the engines and boat were bug*ered. Unfortunatly im not allowed to put pictures of that sort of thing on line!. All of our new into service engines that go to the MoD get drop tested some come back in bits others dont. I had to attend to 2 Brand new Mariner 200Efi's a few months ago that had gone into the water at the wrong angle so the boat ended upside down by the time the engines go to back to me the were a right off. (although they did still turn over!!) If they go in heavly the engines quite often get there gearboxes ripped off and the driveshaft housing can get ripped of the swivel tube. We have even seen the driveshaft pushed through the powerhead so the top cowl ends up looking like an eggshell!!. Oh yeah and the Transom brackets get damaged too.
Old 01 October 2004, 19:17   #3

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
apart from coming down from a big wave- I fail to see what the test serves. Ok in extreminis- but where is the limit??. drop from how high? what weight involved? its kids stuff, and wholly irrelevant..I would rather that my tubes dont come off and the bloody rib be self- righting than know that if I drop it from 200 feet its going to break in half. Sorry but lets get real. Jonathan
Old 01 October 2004, 19:44   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
HI Eupa

I believe drop testing is for commercial rated and mil spec boats

If I can give you an example of why a drop test is good

When somebody falls off an Oil rig in the North sea they need to be fished out of the water pretty quick. It is my understanding the rescue ribs are dropped from their slings the last ten feet or so to save time, it would be a bummer if the boat broke in half cos it hadn't been drop tested
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2004, 20:47   #5

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
drop test

I can only speak for military applications, but i think in their eyes it must be able to survive if when lowering over the ships side, something fails like the RFD hook, wire,crane etc
Old 01 October 2004, 20:55   #6

drop test

Another bit of info(being ex RN Engineer)which the Pac 22 owner might be interested in. Is that the slinging points on the boat are not only designed to take the weight of the boat, but also the overall snatch weight as it is being hoisted out of the water by ship in rough seas(untill the boat is clear of the waves it will snatch as it goes up and down with sea state). Therefore the rear slinging points make ideal towing points rather than the cleats on back end.
Old 01 October 2004, 21:25   #7

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
We do drop tests for certain regiments within the Army and Navy. Its carried out so they can get boats to any part of the world ( as long as there is some water!!) and be deployed very quickly without the need to spend weeks being ferried out on a ship and without the need for an Aircraft/Helicopter to have to land were it might not be welcome!. If that makes sence.
Old 02 October 2004, 09:31   #8

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
And in the early days of RIB design, the boat and engine would hit the water and sink when the tube attachment ripped off and the tubes would stay afloat. It is thanks to these early days of testing that most boat builders fit tubes on properly. (note the word most !) Alan P
Old 02 October 2004, 11:08   #9

Drop tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
And in the early days of RIB design, the boat and engine would hit the water and sink when the tube attachment ripped off and the tubes would stay afloat. It is thanks to these early days of testing that most boat builders fit tubes on properly. (note the word most !) Alan P
Yep your right on that one Alan. You only have to look at an ex MOD sea rider, as they have reinforcing straps on the tubes. They were prone to it
Old 02 October 2004, 16:17   #10

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Care to name a few that dont put the tubes on properly??- my boat had tis problem- but I dont believ it was due to bad workmanship- more not building to spec. jonathan