Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
If things ever went as Pete Tong as you suggest, I'd get on the wireless and get the orange and blue tug out, quick smart.
And hopefully the drogue will keep you safe for those few precious minutes
Old 15 April 2013, 21:18   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
That is bad. The VHF is no.2 piece of safety equipment behind the anchor. The metal, heavy type with pointy bits, not a canvas bucket.
Old 15 April 2013, 21:43   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'm sure you're joking, but other than a fire - what would tempt you out of a RIB and into a liferaft?
GG being on board?

Quote:
That is bad. The VHF is no.2 piece of safety equipment behind the anchor. The metal, heavy type with pointy bits, not a canvas bucket.
Whilst not ideal, the Channel is busy enough that there is probably a big ship in "earshot" of a handheld - who might relay your message to CG.
Old 15 April 2013, 21:47   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Well I admit there isn't a whole lot that could be done, but changing a spark plug, checking all leads are still connected... Pull starting the engine, changing the master fuse (spare right next to it on an etec that's probably about it Till now the VHF (touch wood) there was no main VHF anyway...

That looks perfect could you tell me where you got it/ what size it is?
Gotchi, if you can even get the cowl off a big Etec without losing it or falling in while you're anywhere other than tied to a pontoon or beached you'll be very lucky. The Tommee Tippee toolkit supplied with outboards will make a better anchor than toolkit.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2013, 21:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

Whilst not ideal, the Channel is busy enough that there is probably a big ship in "earshot" of a handheld - who might relay your message to CG.
Personally, I wouldn't be relying on "probably". Even our SR has an Icom baseset, allbeit, with a Ribraider twig. If a kid heads off across the Bay in the SR I insist on a fully charged handheld also. A personal Epirb is next on the list, it's just not worth the worry in my book.
Old 15 April 2013, 21:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Gotchi, if you can even get the cowl off a big Etec without losing it or falling in while you're anywhere other than tied to a pontoon or beached you'll be very lucky. The Tommee Tippee toolkit supplied with outboards will make a better anchor than toolkit.
Nos has witnessed moi removing a 250 Etec cover in millpond conditions in Fal. Harbour.
Mind you, 'Into The Dog's' doesn't have a frame.
Old 15 April 2013, 22:05   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't be relying on "probably". Even our SR has an Icom baseset, allbeit, with a Ribraider twig. If a kid heads off across the Bay in the SR I insist on a fully charged handheld also. A personal Epirb is next on the list, it's just not worth the worry in my book.
Never had you in the paranoid camp. I'm not arguing with your logic - but people have been crossing the channel in small open ribs for decades (and in much less suitable craft for far longer). Waterproof fixed VHFs are a relatively recent invention and on a typical A-frame don't give that much greater range (range being largely a height not power issue).

Would I plan to do it without one? probably not.
Would I do it without a drogue? yes.
Old 15 April 2013, 22:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Never had you in the paranoid camp. .
For myself? Nope.

My kids? For sure.

My youngest started driving last week. I'm sitting with her tomorrow eve for the first time.

The worry when they pass is unbearable. I'm sure that other Dads can empathise.
Old 15 April 2013, 22:39   #29
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
For myself? Nope.

My kids? For sure.

My youngest started driving last week. I'm sitting with her tomorrow eve for the first time.

The worry when they pass is unbearable. I'm sure that other Dads can empathise.
Fully agree with ya there fella, my eldest want's a fekin motorbike, knightmare trying talk er out of it.

Any thoughts on why the engines failed on that rib in the vid, I thought maybe fuel tank was only quart full, and that wave that nearly backfliped them might have caused fuel air lock maybe?

Some would probably say shit in the carbs, I tried this once and burnt my arse on the flywheel, not recomended!!
Old 15 April 2013, 22:41   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Quote:
PLB was worn the whole time, along with handheld VHF and plenty of flares. It wasn't that there was no fixed VHF just that...it didn't work hence the new electronics...it wasn't for wanting to that we chucked out that Raymarine stuff.

So Ribochet where did you get yours?
Old 15 April 2013, 23:01   #31

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
moto

Any thoughts on why the engines failed on that rib in the vid, I thought maybe fuel tank was only quart full, and that wave that nearly backfliped them might have caused fuel air lock maybe?

Some would probably say shit in the carbs, I tried this once and burnt my arse on the flywheel, not recomended!!
Most likely reason why the engines stalled is that full throttle was not applied when the stern submerged itself,
one factor when the Atlantic 75 went up a size in engines making the stern that bit heavier ,

full throttle applied just before landing as well as keeping the engines from exhaust back pressure stalling the propeller thrust also helps stop the stern from going under even more.

On the subject of Drouges & sea anchors ( sea anchor if its streamed from the bow & drouge if its streamed from the stern)
the longer the line the better ideal you want to have it at least 2 or 3 waves out from the boat , one of the reasons in the video that the boat was pushed sideways until the anchor deployed (if your in the same breaking wave as the anchor it wont help much .

Buckets do work but usually the handle will come off ,

its also suprizing how much resistance even the small parachute type exerts when trying to recover it ,a separate trip line to the top of the parachute type helps though from experience usually gets wrapped around the main line making it useless.
Old 15 April 2013, 23:55   #32
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Most likely reason why the engines stalled is that full throttle was not applied when the stern submerged itself,
one factor when the Atlantic 75 went up a size in engines making the stern that bit heavier ,

full throttle applied just before landing as well as keeping the engines from exhaust back pressure stalling the propeller thrust also helps stop the stern from going under even more.

On the subject of Drouges & sea anchors ( sea anchor if its streamed from the bow & drouge if its streamed from the stern)
the longer the line the better ideal you want to have it at least 2 or 3 waves out from the boat , one of the reasons in the video that the boat was pushed sideways until the anchor deployed (if your in the same breaking wave as the anchor it wont help much .

Buckets do work but usually the handle will come off ,

its also suprizing how much resistance even the small parachute type exerts when trying to recover it ,a separate trip line to the top of the parachute type helps though from experience usually gets wrapped around the main line making it useless.
I though full throttle landing at that angle would course definate backflip, but I dunno just wouldn't like to try meself with that head wind.
As for drogues I always thought they where for yachts thrown over the stern in heavy following seas, but I see it was quit usefull for that rib too.
Old 16 April 2013, 07:26   #33

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mollers;
Even our SR has an Icom baseset, allbeit, with a Ribraider twig. :
If I hadn't have heard it from the man himself ...
Old 16 April 2013, 07:42   #34

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Engine: Outboard 60hp
If this was an RNLI exercise is it possible the engines were cut to practice there emergency drill in such conditions?
It was filmed which I take would of been used to point out areas for future events (like not nearly turning it over)
Old 16 April 2013, 07:58   #35

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
Any thoughts on why the engines failed on that rib in the vid,
The RIB in question was an Altantic 75 fitted with 2-stroke engines that were extensively modified by the RNLI to make them inversion proof.
These mods included:
Six mercury tilt switches operate mechanisms to shut off the air inlet, cut off the engines, lock the engine tilt mechanism and turn on capsize lights if the boat reaches an angle of heel of 90 degrees
The exhaust system has a u-tube assembly and one way exhaust valves to prevent water entering when the engine is inverted
A closed carburettor system is used to prevent fuel leakage The engines undergo fortnightly maintenance to ensure they start first time, each time, and can be restarted following a capsize.

These however had the tendency to kick in and shut down the engines when the boat was at the angle shown in the video .
Old 16 April 2013, 08:03   #36

Town: South Coast
Length: 9m +
I bought a sea anchor thingy not so much for the safety point of view as they are defo another piece of safety equipment, but for those days I just want to drift and have a beer and a chat with friends. As people say it stops the boat rocking side to side as the bow is nicely into the waves. When you are trying to eat crisps n dips as the boat rocks it is a bit of a bummer!!

From the safety point of view, I look at it as another form of getting close to safety, you could use it to slow down the progress of wind drift or tide towards rocks, or the opposite of such and use the tide to take you away from the rocks and or to a safer place . .

So yes for me worth having as a simple stand alone piece of harmless safety armoury and a brilliant CLEAN way of steading the boat when having a break or a 'party'!
Old 16 April 2013, 08:08   #37

Town: South Coast
Length: 9m +
And of course one of the things you get in a survival pack is sea sickness tablets, because the quickest way to de-hydration is being sick. We all know how quickly people feel ill when you stop the boat and generally it is the rocking motion that does it. So regardless of whether they are good at much else in a disaster, they might just make your RIB that is now a life raft, one hell of a better place to 'survive' until the Chopper comes to get you!
Old 16 April 2013, 10:19   #38

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I bought one off fleabay mainly to steady the boat & slow it down when drifting to fish. Gives you a much more pleasant sea experience when you've got the family with you plus given that it folds up very flat takes up hardly any room!
Added advantage it's another piece of 'safety' kit alongside all the usual !!