Old 06 May 2007, 03:54   #1

Drained

Is it just me, is it old age ...

I just brought my new (seconhand) boat back from Southampton to Jersey yesterday. My steering arm is worn out (throttle arm fine!), and I seem to have acquired some aches and pains. The trip went well at just under 2hours 30 from Needles to tied up in Jersey (1.5 to Cap de la Hague, 55 minutes to Jersy), but 12 hours later I can hardly lift my steering arm!

Old 06 May 2007, 04:16   #2

Town: southampton
Boat name: Time Flies
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: volvo D3
its not the age, its lack of use. or was you gripping the wheel to hard
how was the jurney and what boat was you in ?

Old 06 May 2007, 04:17   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
wouldnt be your right arm would it
Old 06 May 2007, 05:12   #4

No - thats the throttle hand!!

Flew over on the redeye, and back home by 14:30 - it's difficult to achieve that flying both ways.

It was choppy going down Southampton Water and the Solent - about 5 knots. The channel had an Easterly well, and a little bit of northerly wind wash ( about F3). Cap de Hague was windier (as always F4/F5), but once I got the Chrbourg peninsular between me and the swell I could open up and we ran down at about 45+ knots (over 50 with the tide at places). Didnt see Alderney or Sark despite only being a mile or two off Sark.

Total fuel burn just under 120 litres (most went on the final 55 miles at good speed from Alderney to Jersey), and about 130 NM total. Inluding the run down the Itchen and fueling it was 3.5 hours from the Soton Dry Stack to my berth in Jersey.
Old 06 May 2007, 05:37   #5

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsiv View Post
No - thats the throttle hand!!

Flew over on the redeye, and back home by 14:30 - it's difficult to achieve that flying both ways.

It was choppy going down Southampton Water and the Solent - about 5 knots. The channel had an Easterly well, and a little bit of northerly wind wash ( about F3). Cap de Hague was windier (as always F4/F5), but once I got the Chrbourg peninsular between me and the swell I could open up and we ran down at about 45+ knots (over 50 with the tide at places). Didnt see Alderney or Sark despite only being a mile or two off Sark.

Total fuel burn just under 120 litres (most went on the final 55 miles at good speed from Alderney to Jersey), and about 130 NM total. Inluding the run down the Itchen and fueling it was 3.5 hours from the Soton Dry Stack to my berth in Jersey.
Thats pretty good time and very good fuel consumption . What boat and engine were you running? Did you buy the boat from SDS or has it been stored there?

Ollie
Old 06 May 2007, 06:04   #6

Revenger 29, 315 Yanmar - stored there, not bought from them. The good consumption was probably due to the slower passage down the Solent and crossing the shipping lanes - didnt see more than 3 ships, but their wash was all over the place.
Old 06 May 2007, 06:56   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Revengers are great boats - no wonder you were aching at that speed. Don't worry a few days and you soon get used to it!!!
Old 06 May 2007, 07:21   #8

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsiv View Post
Revenger 29, 315 Yanmar - stored there, not bought from them. The good consumption was probably due to the slower passage down the Solent and crossing the shipping lanes - didnt see more than 3 ships, but their wash was all over the place.
I think we may have seen one another over the Easter Weekend. Where you there on your boat alone? I was on a Red Scorpion with my wife, if it was you then that a very handsome boat you have..
Old 06 May 2007, 07:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
I think we may have seen one another over the Easter Weekend. Where you there on your boat alone? I was on a Red Scorpion with my wife, if it was you then that a very handsome boat you have..
It might have been the previous owner - I only collected the boat on Saturday. She is a good looking RIB, and capable of the odd commute between Jersey and Alderney that I need. Quicker than flying, too!
Old 06 May 2007, 07:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Revengers are great boats - no wonder you were aching at that speed. Don't worry a few days and you soon get used to it!!!
.. and I'd spent time in the gym preparing for the sailing season too (I run a small canting keel racer - she does 30 knots in the right conditions). Have to say I ache more than I do after a cross channel race! Time from needles to alderney wasnt hugely different - last time we sailed that way we did it 2hr 15 minutes - but it was wetter and colder!