Old 05 January 2016, 12:35   #1

Town: Newport
Boat name: Red Scorpion
Make: Scorpion
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard/petrol/200
Drain plug

Forgive the silly question, but I am still learning.

So…… under the back seat on my scorpion is a small circular inspection hatch, on opening this I noticed that there was an amount of water in the hull (too much to ignore).

Now that the rib has now been lifted for the winter (as I will attempt a few jobs, which I am excited about). I have noticed that on the stern of the boat there are the usual drain holes (port and starboard), but lower in the hull is a small threaded brass drain (I assume) missing a plug.

Would someone be able to tell me firstly, why one is needed and secondly are the plugs a standard dimension?
Old 05 January 2016, 12:56   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Brass Garboard Drain - C-Quip
Old 05 January 2016, 14:25   #3

Length: 6m +
The boat yard may have taken the bung out for you and put it somewhere safe. If they havent I'm not surprised you had more water then you want under the deck
Old 05 January 2016, 15:03   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Agree with Stuart; there's more than one hard boat that ended up underwater due to a missing drain plug (unlikely with a RIB due to the tubes.)

jky
Old 05 January 2016, 16:16   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Scorpion View Post
Would someone be able to tell me firstly, why one is needed
It is common to fit a drain bung low on the hull so that any water which does find its way into the hull void can be removed. Some manufacturers are so confident about their water tight integrity that they don't bother - its not uncommon for owners of those boats to post here "I've got water under the deck and no way to get it out" !!!

In a perfect world that space would be sealed and dry - but any through deck fittings (cabling, fuel lines, seat screws, hatch covers etc.) run the risk of some leakage if not done with the utmost care. Some brands even intentionally drain anchor lockers etc into that void where a bilge pump can remove almost all the water.
Old 05 January 2016, 21:48   #6

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
What year is the scorpion? Is it a bench seat, and open transom boat or a complete fibreglass well? If the hatch is a screw hatch (cant remember the name) then generally it is access to the fuel tank on a Scorpion. So you may have another inspection plate made of fibreglass below that round hatch, to get into tank, with sender etc.

Scorpions have a quite large gap between the deck and the fuel tank roof (Maybe 2") and My 2nd Scorpion trapped water here with no way out, due to some poorly fitted cables. I had to make holes aft into the rear bilge. The holes were inside the cable ducting, and just below deck level.

My first Scorpion trapped water in the cable ducts. The stringers had drain holes, but the cable ducts didnt. The cabe ducts sat ontop of the stringers and were full of water with no escape