Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 July 2018, 08:33   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Drain bung

Avon 310 RIb in question.but may be for any RIb, is it necessary to leave the drain hung out once drained when the Rib is stored? Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
Osceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 08:40   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,000
Well... yes if rain can get in it and not really if it's in a building.
__________________

__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 13:33   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks Fenlander, maybe I should explain. Launching the RIB I was distracted and forgot to install the drain plug, luckily, someone spotted it filling and warned me before fully launching. My wife asked, why remove it. I couldn't answer that and decided to ask, just worried leaving it in place my cause it damage or unable to remove when required.
__________________
Osceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 14:51   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osceola View Post
Thanks Fenlander, maybe I should explain. Launching the RIB I was distracted and forgot to install the drain plug, luckily, someone spotted it filling and warned me before fully launching. My wife asked, why remove it. I couldn't answer that and decided to ask, just worried leaving it in place my cause it damage or unable to remove when required.
Ha Ha ,you wer,nt the first and you wont be the last !!! last time mine cost me a mobile phone as i tried to fiddle ithe bung in at the bottom of the slipway
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 15:34   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,484
I assume you mean the little bung that drains any water that finds its way inside the hull rather than a “scupper” that drains the deck? Do you ever get water in there? I only check mine every few years and it’s totally dry.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 16:31   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Ha Ha ,you wer,nt the first and you wont be the last !!! last time mine cost me a mobile phone as i tried to fiddle ithe bung in at the bottom of the slipway
Always good to hear someone else making the same mistake but I did feel bloody stupid, at least it cost me nothing. Thanks for the reply.
__________________
Osceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 16:32   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I assume you mean the little bung that drains any water that finds its way inside the hull rather than a “scupper” that drains the deck? Do you ever get water in there? I only check mine every few years and it’s totally dry.
Checked it after reading this, glad to say it was dry.
__________________
Osceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:10   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
You guys won't be the first to forget the bung but you can be sure you won't forget it again.
__________________
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:24   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
You guys won't be the first to forget the bung but you can be sure you won't forget it again.
I want to say "yes you are right" and hope you are. Thanks for the reply
__________________
Osceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 12:59   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 805
I think quite a few of us have had the 'Where's all that water coming from?' moment at the bottom of a slip......
I blame the wife for distracting me whilst I was prepping for launch.
__________________

__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.