Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 October 2010, 12:21   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Downsizing(grading?) from a RIB to a SIB?

(Putting this in the RIB catagory as I'd like to hear from those who have gone from a RIB to a SIB).

Early days on thinking about this but based on a few days out and the honest anticipated use of our RIB I'm thinking that a SIB may be more suitable for us.

One of the main ideas behind having a RIB for me was skiing but given the number of times I'm likely to be able to get out due to work/tides/weather and the likelyhood of anything approching decent (ie flattish) 'skiing water' where we are this may be wishful thinking. Take skiing out of the equation and there are not so many reasons for me to head for the sea.

However, I still want a boat to be able to use inland (river/broards etc) and if needs be that could still do gentle beach hopping and cope with the tides (especially a nasty 6 knot + spring tidal flow) in our local launch channel.

So, what sort of SIB should I look at that would any way come close to our 2006 very nicely specced and very capable ex-military foam-collar Searider 4.7?

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37261

Criteria are minimum length say 4m, needs to take 4 adults + 2 kids minimum. Plane at a decent speed with this load, has to be 4 stroke (20hp?). Has to be built tough, good sea-keeping in a F4 minimum etc. Not too worried about ease of dismantling as this is only envisaged for the winter to free up garage space but able to be launched without a trailer would be handy. Looking at secondhand maximum 5 years(ish) old, budget up to £4kish.

Cheers guys!
Old 11 October 2010, 12:28   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Dont worry your not the only one i went from a sib to a rib about 1986 then went back to a sib about 3 years ago ,
Old 11 October 2010, 12:39   #3

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
has to be 4 stroke (20hp?).
why?
Old 11 October 2010, 12:52   #4

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Quote:
(Putting this in the RIB catagory as I'd like to hear from those who have gone from a RIB to a SIB).

Early days on thinking about this but based on a few days out and the honest anticipated use of our RIB I'm thinking that a SIB may be more suitable for us.

One of the main ideas behind having a RIB for me was skiing but given the number of times I'm likely to be able to get out due to work/tides/weather and the likelyhood of anything approching decent (ie flattish) 'skiing water' where we are this may be wishful thinking. Take skiing out of the equation and there are not so many reasons for me to head for the sea.

However, I still want a boat to be able to use inland (river/broards etc) and if needs be that could still do gentle beach hopping and cope with the tides (especially a nasty 6 knot + spring tidal flow) in our local launch channel.

So, what sort of SIB should I look at that would any way come close to our 2006 very nicely specced and very capable ex-military foam-collar Searider 4.7?

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37261

Criteria are minimum length say 4m, needs to take 4 adults + 2 kids minimum. Plane at a decent speed with this load, has to be 4 stroke (20hp?). Has to be built tough, good sea-keeping in a F4 minimum etc. Not too worried about ease of dismantling as this is only envisaged for the winter to free up garage space but able to be launched without a trailer would be handy. Looking at secondhand maximum 5 years(ish) old, budget up to £4kish.

Cheers guys!
IMO Not many sibs are going to be comfortable in a force 4. I went from a 4.8m ribcraft to a 3.8m zodiac futura. Seas that seemed like nothing in the Ribcraft are very uncomfortable in the sib, the hull just doesn't cut the waves like a fibreglass hull, the nearest SIB I have seen to one that does is the bombard 380 areotec.

A 4m plus SIB and a 20hp 4 stroke will struggle to get on the plane with 4 adults and 2 children, that means a bigger engine and tbh that would be to heavy to handle.......it would have to be trailered everywhere and launched using a slip.

The advantages for me are beach landing and storage.

BTW that searider you have there is one hell of a RIB. couldnt you just store it and wait for a time when you have more time? It wont lose much value, prob less than inflation over the next few years tbh, just a thought.
Old 11 October 2010, 16:41   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Has to be built tough, good sea-keeping in a F4 minimum etc. Not too worried about ease of dismantling as this is only envisaged for the winter to free up garage space but able to be launched without a trailer would be handy.
If launching without a trailer is only "handy" rather than essential, given everything else you have said I'd definitely stick with the RIB. A SIB is going to be a less good option in almost every way.
Old 11 October 2010, 17:28   #6

Thanks for the replies - perhaps I was not putting enough emphasis on the inland use - I think sea use would be very limited indeed if I went for the SIB so perhaps the bit about seakeeping in a F4 is less important. Would still like as much power as practical of course though.

Other factors are a need to free up the garage in the winter for other projects (hence a pack-away SIB) - I would imagine keeping the boat inflated all summer except maybe for the odd long holiday trip once ortwice a year. Easier launching without a vehicle (I like to think I'm a reasonably experienced Landy driver/enthusiast off-road) but still nearly came a cropper in the 110 on the muddy slipway Saturday. And just a feeling that the SR4.7 is a bit overkill/expensive given the true likely use we are going to have of a boat.

Spent an hour searching earlier and the Bombard Aerotec 380 seems to come up again and again as the nearest to a RIB...
Old 12 October 2010, 08:03   #7

aerotec 380

Quote:
Spent an hour searching earlier and the Bombard Aerotec 380 seems to come up again and again as the nearest to a RIB...
Max I also have one of these, used to have a 15hp 2s but with 2 adults and 2 kids felt a bit underpowered so no have a 25 2s, very well made capable sib and still puts a smile on my face, fits in the boot and can be on the water in 20mins, the only thing worthy of note is the engine weight hence my questioning why you need a four stroke? it will be heavier and fuel consumption difference is not worth the weight / performance trade of IMHO.
Old 12 October 2010, 08:09   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post
the only thing worthy of note is the engine weight hence my questioning why you need a four stroke? it will be heavier and fuel consumption difference is not worth the weight / performance trade of IMHO.
That was my gut feel too, but I just looked it up. According to Honda their 20HP 4str (which is the lightest) is within 2 kilos of my Yamaha 20HP 2str. So that's not a problem. Of course you'll need to store the honda the correct way up to stop oil leaking into the cylinders, which might be a problem for "back of car" transport.
Old 12 October 2010, 09:38   #9

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I don't want to diss the SIB brigade but having just got a cheap 3.2m SIB my thoughts are....

1. It takes a hell of a lot longer to load up a SIB, unload it, put it in the water, mount the engine on it and get everything up and running, than it does to launch a RIB on a trailer and be ready for the off. And that's not including putting it all together and inflating it which probably took me about an hour the first time I did it, I am sure now I know what goes where the next time will be a lot quicker but even so it is a LOT more faff than a boat sitting on a trailer ready to roll. My old RIB was always fuelled checked over and ready to go so if there was a window for a quick fix, grab the bag with lifejackets and radio in, hitch up and off, I could be on the water and away in about 20 minutes from leaving the house.

2. Half as much boat in length is in no way anything like half as much boat in seaworthiness, comfort, speed, range, equipment or anything else.

3. Seven days and counting till the Vipermax arrives and I can't bloody wait

I really hadn't appreciated point 1 till I did it, you tend to think that its a 5 min job and will be "great for the odd quick spin in the winter" until you actually do it - especially single handed as I did.

Having now tried both I'd not ever consider downgrading to having just a SIB and you certainly wouldn't catch me out in mine in a F4. OK mine only has a small engine (the new aux for the RIB) so I didn't expect much speed but I think if I put a 15hp on it I'd probably need new underwear - I suppose confidence might come with more use but I just didn't feel like I'd want to be out in any sort of waves in mine whereas in a RIB that is only 50% bigger (3.2-5.8) it feels like twenty times the boat. I guess the difference between 4.7 down to 3.8 is not going to be quite as much but I bet it is still a hell of a lot

I don't regret buying the SIB as it was stupidly cheap and I have plans to use it somewhere else, but if I had downgraded to save money I'd be very disappointed.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2010, 10:02   #10

I know there's always a big 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate but for reasons of quietness (for pootling along the broards for hours) mostly as well as all the other usual reasons for going the 4 stroke route that's what I'd like!

Set-up time is not really an issue as it would be in the garage ready to go.
Old 12 October 2010, 12:03   #11

there you go

Well there you are, Aerotec 380 with a honda 20 4s, be sure and post some pics, so are we to see an advert for the 4.7 any time soon?
Old 12 October 2010, 12:15   #12

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Quote:
Well there you are, Aerotec 380 with a honda 20 4s, be sure and post some pics, so are we to see an advert for the 4.7 any time soon?
Old 12 October 2010, 14:21   #13

Quote:
LOL! No, I will run it for a season I think next year to give it a fair go - had some interest by PM already though....
Old 13 October 2010, 17:15   #14

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Or a Honwave 3.8ie same sort of v-shaped airfloor - certainly no problem planing with 4 big adults and a Honda 20hp - but much 'bouncier' than an equivalent size rib. On the other hand easily handled and launched single handed - even without a winch - especially if you use transom wheels. BUt the packing up inflating/deflating is a pain.
Old 14 October 2010, 09:59   #15

Thanks for all the imput. On these two boats (Bomard and Honwave) is the actual floor that you stand on inflatable too?? Guessing most SIBs have 'solid' wooden or aluminium floors...this being so is the inflatable floor like walking on a very pumped up lilo??!
Old 14 October 2010, 13:46   #16

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Thanks for all the imput. On these two boats (Bomard and Honwave) is the actual floor that you stand on inflatable too?? Guessing most SIBs have 'solid' wooden or aluminium floors...this being so is the inflatable floor like walking on a very pumped up lilo??!
Yes the actual floor you stand on is inflatable and yes you feel some motion from the water beneath - but the actual floor is high pressure compared to the tubes - hence the need (in my view) for a high pressure electric pump such as the Bravo BST - so not really like walking on a lilo - and you don't do much walking on a SIB anyway! Note also that the floor is V shaped and not flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000115.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	54936  
Old 14 October 2010, 13:57   #17

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Note also that the floor is V shaped and not flat, which is a PITA.

Fixed
Old 14 October 2010, 15:40   #18

Thanks Longjohn! Are there any out there with a solid (wood/alu flat) floor and any sort of an inflatable V keel or similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Fixed
What's that Brad??
Old 14 October 2010, 16:13   #19

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
"which is a PITA"