Like I need to!

John

Old 12 June 2004, 14:53   #62
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hart
I am interested in the WHY. WHY do we have to rely on charity in the first palce for our maritime rescue? How did this happen?
I don't know but I suspect that it is because only a small minority of the poulation put themselves in a situation where they are likely to need to be rescued at sea. Fire, Police and Ambulance are all rather more universal so are centrally funded.

Just a guess . . .

John

Old 12 June 2004, 14:58   #63

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15hp
JK, yes it is an idea but there are plenty of people crossing the ENGLISH channel every day.

So any RNLI historians with the answer please?

Keith (still awaiting an answer) Hart

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2004, 19:42   #64

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
You might be interested in these pics of a new prototype lifeboat taken a couple of weeks ago in Dorset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img2004-06-02_0006.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	6471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img2004-06-02_0011.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	6472  
Old 13 June 2004, 19:33   #65

Town: Berks
Boat name: Iditarod
Make: Regal
Length: 6.5
Engine: Mercruiser 4.3 alpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett

Here are some candidates you might like to consider:

Hamble Lifeboat
http://www.hamblelifeboat.org.uk
John

A recent event I helped organised with the help of MDL raised a fair amount of money for them, over £1000, and we did similar event last year. I thought it wouldn't make any difference until someone pointed out it was equal to decent % of their running costs for a year. Haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, so may be repeating, but these guys do a thoroughly worthwhile job, and I wouldn't complain much if they happened to turn up to help my out, and not sure they are any less professional than the RNLI
Old 14 June 2004, 07:31   #66
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Keith (still awaiting an answer) Hart
Keith, you are the official RIBnet sleuth so get to work!

John
Old 14 June 2004, 07:44   #67

Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
Not read all the posts, but I was advised some years ago by my wife's grandfather (2X RNLI Silver Medals to boot) NOT to fund the organisation as they were almost over funded, and top heavy. There was, if I recall correctly, a time when their charitable status was in jeapordy?
Old 14 June 2004, 09:15   #68

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Hmmm, interesting one this.

I am interested in the WHY. WHY do we have to rely on charity in the first palce for our maritime rescue? How did this happen?

Keith (here are some brackets for fundraising (( Hart
Keith
Is it because Mr Darling and his daughter Grace thought it might be the charitable thing to do when they rowed out into a bit of a lumpy North Sea to help some guys who had bumped/ were about to bump in to the rock where they had a big light?
The RNLI have a huge head start on all the independants, with regard to fund raising, and maybe one day the independants will catch up.

Which brings me on to Trinity House. I only learned last thursday that they are not funded by the Government. 6000 lights and bouys and 71 lighthouses all for free to us small boat owners.

I am fully in favour of supporting anyone who will come to my aid if I need it. The only time I have needed help, it was given by a very nice bloke in a Gin Palace. I spent several days tracking down his boat and then him so I donate a bottle of good single Malt to his booze locker.

I have also had one experiance of independant recue services in the solent. We (and several others) were dismasted during a race. Without being asked, 2 separate rescue craft were in attendance within a very short time. We had quite a job getting them to understand that we did not require assistance, and that advice, such as starting our engine, was NOT the best course of action.
I am afraid my oppinoin of them, is, that some but not all, are of the well meaning sort of people who will stop to let you pull out into a main road from the right without considering the stream of traffic coming towards them, and the 20 cars behind who have had to break sharply to avoid someone who has suddenly stopped for no reason.
Rant over.

So, please give generously to your local independant rescue service and the RNLI. They all need equipment and training. And (hopefully) we will not need them.
Old 14 June 2004, 12:41   #69
Hairdresser

Town: Peel
Boat name: Jane L
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
MMSI: 235077935
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Unlike the £274,000 that the RNLI spends every day, relatively small amount of money can make a big difference to these independent organisations. In most cases every penny that is donated will go directly to providing the rescue service. Only 80% of the money donated to the RNLI goes to the operations budget, the remainder going on fundraising and admin.

John
So that's about £1200 per lifeboat station per day for a lifesaving capability up to 50 miles offshore anywhere off the coast of the UK or Republic of Ireland 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 12 months a year - in all weather. Pretty good value I would say.

Interesting discussion, but unfortunate thread title which appears to create a division between the RNLI and all the others. I for one am prepared to be rescued by anyone no matter which organisation (if any) they belong to, I would just hope that they do it quickly! At the time I wouldn't even give a thought to whether they know what they are doing, that would only enter my head later when recovering and thinking 'what if......'

We should all give to whichever organisations we feel are relevant to ourselves. I give to the RNLI and although there are no independent lifeboats in my part of the world I have made donatoins to a couple in the Solent area.

The RNLI is not the wealthiest charity in the world as suggested in an earlier post, and not even the wealthiest in the UK. Its finances are broadly in line with other large national charities.

The National Trust raises about £150 million a year, and the NSPCC manages £100 million. The RSPCA gets through approx £84 million.

All hold substantial reserves and have seen the value of those reserves plummet as the stock market fell. They also saw them rise as the stock market rose in previous years. If 'gambling' of this nature offends you try finding out what has happened to the value of your pension fund or even the National Insurance Fund from which your state retirement pittance may be paid in the future.

I don't think that the RNLI was ever in danger of being de-registered as a result of having large reserves. From memory all charities have to justify their reserves policy to the Charity Commission as being in keeping with their type of operation. The RNLI did this. The RSPCA aim to hold a reserve of £60 million.

The World Wildlife Fund blow 15% of their expenditure on fundraising and a further 7% on administration. Similar figures to the RNLI. Rather than make a donation would I be making best use of my money by instead buying a tin of PAl and give it to my local stray dog? That would be 100% effective - no admin, no advertising. But hang on, I haven't taken the value of the tin in to account, so I'm not giving 100% value to the dog. Sausages, that's the answer. But maybe the nutritional value to the dog is less, so the tinned food would be better. Oh sod it. I'll just give the money to the WWF and let them worry about it

What else. The prototype lifeboat is a Tamar Class boat and will be the replacement for housed slipway Tynes.

I've run out of time to address some of the other points raised, but may do next time!

Allen

Lifeboat Operations Manager,
Peel, Isle of Man
Old 14 June 2004, 12:55   #70

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I am afraid my oppinoin of them, is, that some but not all, are of the well meaning sort of people who will stop to let you pull out into a main road from the right without considering the stream of traffic coming towards them, and the 20 cars behind who have had to break sharply to avoid someone who has suddenly stopped for no reason.

Aren't they annoying.