Old 10 October 2005, 06:56   #101

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Someone asked why the fire service and ambulance service were run nationally not by volunteers - originally they were. ....

Finally JK - this must be one of your hottest topics ever. ..
Neil
Yes... but...... the National Fire Service (NFS) was created specifically for War time activities in 1941... when most people were "volunteers" anyway. It was run by the Home Office under the guidance of "military men" and, if I'm right only lasted 'til just after the war. Not really a relavant comparison.

I don't think a period of over 16 months between posts qualifies as "hot"....
Old 10 October 2005, 13:14   #102
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I gave up reading this a long time ago

While certain people whine and moan about the amount of money the RNLI has, maybe they'd like to work out how much they donated themselves in the past year and compare it to the cost of a rescue in French waters.

Support them ALL.

Donate to them ALL when you can.

I do.

If I see an RNLI donation pot all my loose change goes in there (and it can be up to a tenner)

If I see an independant lifeboat pot they get the same.

What price a life?

What price YOUR life...?

F*cking accountants.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2005, 09:34   #103

Town: London
Boat name: Nellie
Make: lencraft
Length: under 3m
Engine: outboard
A good way to look at charities is the cost per beneficiary. I read somewhere the RNLI spends around £12,500 per person saved. I just don't know how that compares to other good causes which do the same job of saving a life. Also can anyone guide us on the cost of the independents, or of similar services all around the world (and do their new boats cost £2m apiece?)?

The Charity Blogger provides food for thought in this area, if you're interested in this stuff:

http://www.charityblogger.blogspot.com/
Old 21 October 2005, 08:04   #104

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Interesting link.

But it's just 'one donor's take' as he says. Not necessarily solid research as he makes clear :

'I'm a regular punter in a regular job. I know lots of voluntary sector people and this blog is the result of chats with them, plus what I've picked up from overseas trips and reading the charity press.'

He provides a few interesting links himself tho'

missus
Old 04 November 2005, 08:06   #105

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Local Tv

Us folk from the Isle of Wight have the benefit of our own tv channel... It isn't quite the BBC but it can be amusing to watch when nothing else is on. They had a nice little programme the other night about the local rescue services hosted by local retired tv host Shaw 'keep em peeled' Taylor. It certainly highlighted how expensive it is to keep a small independent rescue station afloat (if you will excuse my pun). I think the independents have done a great job and will divert donations this way from now on.
Old 04 November 2005, 12:22   #106

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Our dive club mixes both, we support Humber rescue as we do some Boathandler training as it also allows us to launch for a very cheap annual fee.

Members who are also subscribers to te RNLI will probably know that that by far the largest chunk of its funding comes from very large legacies. Indeed these can often pay for a complete boat.

Quite how one attracts a legacy donor I'm not sure.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2006, 00:14   #107

Town: East Coast
I can't beleive you are all so selfish and naive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
All very swish, but couldn't savings have been made somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails

As to your pics of the Lifeboat College being very swish and couldn't savings have been made somewhere else. By building their own facility the RNLI have saved over £1million so far as it is no longer having to pay (and be ripped off by) external suppliers for training or accomodation. By using their own facility they are saving a vast amount of the charities money.

now to the other points (this will take a while)

The reason the RNLI has survived so many years on funds raised is because of the way the money has been handled by investing. In 1924 a member of my family left a legacy of £5000, to this day that money is still being used by the RNLI due to the way it was invested, its a smart way to handle funds. How far do you think £5000 would go if you just bought a few sets of kit. Sure its a gamble and sometimes you get burned just like any other major organisation, but think about it they are still here and still have funds.

As to stopping giving money to the RNLI how stupid can you be? As we all know there is talk about the reserves only being able to keep the charity going for about 2 years so if you stop giving we have no service. Unlike most of you think, the main income is from legacy's not from charity boxes, these legacy's are from people long gone, and you people think that buy dropping your change from a cup of tea makes you moraly allowed to rant on here.

My main point, the only rescue service around my area for miles and miles and miles is the RNLI, why on earth would I or any other person want to redirect funds away from an organisation that covers the whole of the UK & Ireland with 233 lifeboat stations. Why do you need an independant at Cowes when you have lifeboats at Lymington, Calshot, Yarmouth, Bembridge, and Portmouth? Or are the rumours I heard about them being setup by people who didnt make it onto an RNLI crew true?

Oh and before you all start saying what does he know being in Scotland, I lived in Southampton & IOW for over 20 years before moving here 4 years ago. My boat was based on the Hamble and I used to Skip a Dive boat around the solent.

My money goes to the RNLI and always will, what good is Hamble rescue services to me in the North Sea? Anyway have these independants not heard of the lottery fund, I know the RNLI doesn't get any money from that but I bet the independants qualify!

I better stop now before I really offend someone.

Coach

----------------------------------
Where the RNLI lead, others follow!
----------------------------------
Old 03 October 2006, 00:34   #108

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
"Way to go Coach" From someone who started buying a RNLI pin at the age
of 5 because my parents explained why I should, and it is still true today.
Old 03 October 2006, 01:01   #109

You Sir are an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
No, this isn't a wind up -- although it may cause some discussion!

< Edit: Before wading in to "defend" the RNLI please read and digest the whole of this post. They don't need defending, because I'm not attacking them. JK >
John,
I went back and read your post completely over and over again before I decided to wade in and IMHO...
You Sir, are an idiot!

How could you give a title "DON'T support the RNLI" you should have said ... Your independants need some cash, after you give to the RNLI can you give any you have left to the independants.
And where you get the information that the RNLI is well funded if in other posts people talk about the reserves being so low against its running costs.
The way you speak you would think that all 233 stations were fitted out with all the latest gear and gadgets, if that were the case why are there not 233 Tamar class lifeboats on every station?
You talk big but don't really know what you are talking about really do you, it's easy quoting stats from the RNLI website and turning them into spin for your own benefit. But you dont mention that the RNLI running costs are high because its a 24x7 365 day operation. You don't mention that all ALB stations require full time staff ie mechanic. You don't mention the other costs incurred by the RNLI where suppliers rip off the charity because people like you think it can afford it. I get a better discount from marine suppliers than the RNLI does. If the RNLI always get the best gear why do they get issued with Musto instead of Gill.
What about Beach Lifeguards and Sea Safety that all comes out of the ops budget and they are volunteers.
Then you have logistics and spares, how much do you think it costs to 233 stations on service 24x7 with vessels ready to go at a moments notice to be honest I really don't think you have a clue and I think you started this emotive thread in order to expand your ego and not the funds of the independants.

As to the so called 1600 fundraising branches manned by volunteer fundraisers, the average raised at any event I have ever attended has been below £500 so get your calculator out and start counting again.

There were many other ways you could have used this forum to help raise funds for the independant but to call the thread what you did was wrong.
Instead of spouting off you should try organising a fundraising event see how hard it is compared with how much you raise.
Old 03 October 2006, 01:11   #110

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Wow. I hadn't seen this thread till today but have just read it right through. Quite a discussion

Personally I've love to have the reassurance of ANY lifeboat in this neck of the woods (There isn't one. None. Nil. Zilch. No lifeboats. Not even a small one.) whether it was well funded or not.

Folks moaning about the quality of their local lifeboat service ought to be jolly grateful that they've got one, IMHO
Old 03 October 2006, 04:51   #111

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
first of all Dirk you should look at your sig line, because you have removed ALL doubt
Oh, you can be so hurtful at times

Quote:
I better stop now before I really offend someone.

Coach
We're all entitled to our own opinions, assuming they are the same as yours I suspect.
Old 03 October 2006, 08:58   #112

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Instead of spouting off you should try organising a fundraising event see how hard it is compared with how much you raise.
Just for the record, John was involved in this little event we ran a while ago: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ghlight=gafirs If you have a look around the forum, you'll find other benevolent events such as http://rib.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Right Kennett, you can have your trumpet back now I've blown it for you!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2006, 09:04   #113

Quote:
Oh, you can be so hurtful at times
It hurts me to think that people would want to stop people funding the RNLI and you certainly do not want this service funded and controlled by the Government do we.

Quote:
We're all entitled to our own opinions, assuming they are the same as yours I suspect.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you don't have to share mine, hence the discussion forum. I am just expressing my opinions and feelings like everybody else. The one major difference is mine is based on fact.

Lets do something useful here, lets see how many "Lives Saved/ Boats Rescued" by the RNLI against "Boats Helped" by the independants since this thread started.

I also read in someone elses post where someone said that it doesn't matter who comes to rescue you as long as you get rescued. That is true, and another guy got slagged off becuase he said he would prefer the RNLI. I think the comments included something about a guy in a fast car with a bucket of water but think of this...

If the rescue coordinator said to the Fire Brigade, there is no need for you to attend as there is a guy with a bucket of water on the way.
Great the guy with the bucket of water gets there, but his resources are limited to the bucket of water when he gets there he needs a hose, and there are major burns victims, now they need the fire brigade and paramedics so the delay in getting the proper rescue services onsite are delayed.

My point being that it is great having the independants available as long as it does not interfere, detract or stop with getting the correct rescue service on scene, being the closest doesn't always help it can delay in getting real help.
Old 03 October 2006, 09:15   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Just for the record, John was involved in this little event we ran a while ago: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ghlight=gafirs If you have a look around the forum, you'll find other benevolent events such as http://rib.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Right Kennett, you can have your trumpet back now I've blown it for you!
Involved or fully organised?
And I bet it was a hella lot of work for the £200 you raised, but then every little helps
Old 03 October 2006, 09:28   #115

Quote:
Involved or fully organised?
Don't start splitting hairs just because you've been knocked off your high horse!
Quote:
And I bet it was a hella lot of work for the £200 you raised, but then every little helps
The Treasure Hunt was a helluva lot of good fun, that was the point!
Old 03 October 2006, 09:42   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Don't start splitting hairs just because you've been knocked off your high horse!
The Treasure Hunt was a helluva lot of good fun, that was the point!
ooh err missus, handbags at dawn.
And I thought the point would have been to raise funds for the charity?

I think you missed my point (and you never answered my question)
Look back at the 1st post where he makes out that because there is 1,600 fundraising branches that the RNLI is rich. Your fundraising event proves my point exactly a lot of fun yes, a lot of work "organising" YES a lot of money not really. Asking the question whether he was involved or organised is not splitting hairs there is a HUGE difference in organising an event in comparison to just being involved.

BTW: I don't have a high horse, just a short ass little Donkey! lol
Old 03 October 2006, 09:59   #117

Stats

Since this post was started on the 9th of June 2004 upto the 30th September 2006 (based on averages)

The RNLI has saved 1107 lives and has launched to 19,152 incidents

has anyone got the stats for the independants?
Old 03 October 2006, 10:07   #118

Quote:
has anyone got the stats for the independants?
Unrealistic, as different organisations will compile different stats, and some probably won't have particularly good stats. RNLI stats are always easy to find, and I certainly wouldn't knock them, but the politics motivate them to produce this data.

Have a look here for a brief overview of the GAFIRS stats: http://www.gafirs.org.uk/profile.html
Old 03 October 2006, 10:12   #119

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
I can't help thinking that this thread has now lost it's way.

The RNLI is a fantastic organisation that is now run by a shrewd team that understood the need to develop revenue (and save expenditure) by using their property assets better. The college is a superb facility for training and generates revenue that would otherwise have to come through the collecting tin, fundraisers, subscription, legacies etc. It also happens to save a phenomenal amount of money on accommodation (which is why the Bournemouth and Poole hoteliers got together to oppose it's planning permission!). Nothing should change and there is no doubt that this is a FANTASTIC, world leading example of life saving.

The Independents do a superb job. They provide a fantastic service in areas where the RNLI may be stretched (the Solent being an excellent example). In most cases they are superbly trained, well equipped and use theirs skills, abilities and tools in a manner that is professional in all but name! They need MORE support than the RNLI simply because they don't have the fundraising infrastructure and revenue generation opportunities that are available to a time-served, national body like that.

In an ideal world there would be more cross-over of funding, training, resources etc. It isn't an ideal world so lets get off the f**king soapboxes and realise that we have the best commitment to lifesaving anywhere in the world and that in order to keep it at that level we need to ensure that all parties remain well supported.
Old 03 October 2006, 10:17   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
It isn't an ideal world so lets... ...realise that we have the best commitment to lifesaving anywhere in the world
A very good point - backed up by BogMonsters wish for just one lifeboat!

I pay an RNLI membership each year, and donate to collecting tins for other organisations as and when I see fit. At the end of the day, if I need rescuing, I'm not going to be picky about who rescues me, and whether as an organisation they are rich or poor.