Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Dolphins and PWCs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/3638328.stm

Are jetskis really that bad?

If they were chasing dolphins they need to be shot but I thought dolphins love to chase boats - I would always be worried about them hitting a prop but of course jetskis are water jet anyway. Anyone know what the optimum speed is for a boat being played with by dolphins?

People always moan about PWCs and yet I have never seen really bad antics from them! In Swansea they have set up a floating boom across the barrier on the River to stop jetskis jumping off it!!! WHY i would like to know - the only people they could have possibly hurt is themselves - no boats or swimmers ever go near that section! Oh I forgot they were having fun!
Old 09 September 2004, 19:48   #2

Town: Cippenham, Berkshire
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 hp Mariner Four
MMSI: 235021077
I'm not opposed to Jetskis, but I do frown upon them when they act irresponsible. Whilst we were in Swanage they insisted on 'having fun' in the area that had been designated for swimmers. They have a vast amount of room on the sea, why did they have to endanger the lives of kids swimming?

I personally love to watch them, but only in the correct places!

Kim
Old 09 September 2004, 20:55   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowkis
I'm not opposed to Jetskis, but I do frown upon them when they act irresponsible. Whilst we were in Swanage they insisted on 'having fun' in the area that had been designated for swimmers. They have a vast amount of room on the sea, why did they have to endanger the lives of kids swimming?

I personally love to watch them, but only in the correct places!

Kim

I agree with you, like everything its only the minority that ruin it for the majority and its only when something goes wrong that the finger gets pointed at the whole group as supposed to the individual.
Old 09 September 2004, 21:13   #4

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Length: 5m +
Engine: I/B 3L
As I understand it the Dolphins love Jetski's because of the water jet. One chap I know says they would play all day under the ski if he let them !!

If too many do it though it pulls them under the water

Some of the tripper boats round here now pull a fender behind them for the Dolphins to play with so the punters can all get pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphin5.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	8062  
Old 09 September 2004, 21:13   #5

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/3638328.stm
Anyone know what the optimum speed is for a boat being played with by dolphins?
Is there an optimum speed?

I was idling, probably doing around 2 to 3 knots and the dolphins were having a great time under the rib going from side to side and jumping out the water..... they also like playing under the bow of the ferry too on its way over to Ireland, and that does around 20knots or so.

-Alex
Old 09 September 2004, 21:24   #6

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
People always moan about PWCs and yet I have never seen really bad antics from them!
Oh, really?! Obviously you didn't hear about the nutters on Anglesey who used to drive their jetskis between the twin hulls of the HSS Stena Explorer fast ferry whilst it was leaving Holyhead harbour on route to Ireland. I say 'used to' because not so long ago one of them got sucked into one its turbines and emerged in the form of a fine red mist. Oddly enough this particular problem now seems to have been eradicated and no further incidents have been reported
Old 09 September 2004, 21:36   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Are jetskis really that bad? People always moan about PWCs and yet I have never seen really bad antics from them!
I've seen just as many incidents of outrageous behaviour from PWC pilots, Yotties, Gin Palace skippers and RIB helmsmen (women?). Boats (of any type) aren't handed out on the basis of an IQ test

Keith Hart can be relied on for good advice whilst in the company of cetacea (that's dolphins and whales to you!) http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....lphin+watching
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 22:11   #8

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
My experience of dolphins / porpoises and pilot whales is that the bigger the boat and hence bow wave the more likely they are to visit. Interesting that some seem to like the jet from jet skis, it's been suggested that they like the feeling of disturbed water. Sort of like a massage? I've been visited by large groups of dolphins (50+) swimming a couple of miles out of their way to redevous with a ship and play in the bow wave. Some swim in the bow wave, some just swim in company with the boat, suspect they're not interested in the ship but rather their mates! Some like it, some don't. Also they're just as interested in looking at you as you are in looking at them, I've often seen them jumping clear of the water and rolling to one side to look up at people looking over the side.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 22:23   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by roohairy
I've often seen them jumping clear of the water and rolling to one side to look up at people looking over the side.
Wow!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 22:35   #10

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
In my experience.........

.....I have yet to meet, see or hear of a decent Jetski Driver. Around our way they take all forms, rich, poor, tattoed, well heeled, young and old, however, whichever category they come from or fit into, once they saddle one of those things they all turn into "Scum" and I for one can't stand em, they're all a bunch of wan**s. And if you happen to have one, you're one too.
Old 09 September 2004, 22:59   #11

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
If you go to the link posted by richard b and then go to the link form the bbc website about georges the dolphin...I swam with him at Compton on the IOW one evening a couple of summers ago. Wasn't aware of the dangers at the time but it was quite a strange experience!

PWC's, Never been on one and they do look great fun but it is a shame many (but not all!) are driven by plonkers which gives them and bad name. Once I have a nice RIB sorted I might get a jetski for wakeboarding in the surf (well away from surfers and swimmers obviously).

Tim
Old 10 September 2004, 12:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
Oh, really?! Obviously you didn't hear about the nutters on Anglesey who used to drive their jetskis between the twin hulls of the HSS Stena Explorer fast ferry whilst it was leaving Holyhead harbour on route to Ireland. I say 'used to' because not so long ago one of them got sucked into one its turbines and emerged in the form of a fine red mist. Oddly enough this particular problem now seems to have been eradicated and no further incidents have been reported
Strangely this incident doesn't seem to have been reported anywhere - unless everyone missed it? Urban legend perhaps????
Old 10 September 2004, 12:06   #13

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Told to me by the restaurant manager on the HSS Explorer but it was a couple of years ago.
Old 10 September 2004, 12:13   #14

Funnily enough the MAIB never investigated - any wonder PWCs have such a bad name????
Old 10 September 2004, 12:14   #15

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Strangely this incident doesn't seem to have been reported anywhere - unless everyone missed it? Urban legend perhaps????
I rather suspect it is a bit of exageration too. I do recall a story about a jetskier going betweem the hulls of a HSS and getting prosecuted/told off/told that he was an idiot etc for risking life and limb. As Phil points out falling off would result in getting sucked into the water intakes which would be fairly unpleasant.

Personally I reckon that PWC's look really boring. You zoom around in circles for a while and then what next?
Old 10 September 2004, 12:37   #16

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Jetskiers are probably oblivious to peoples opinion of them, they misinterpreted peoples annoyance as envy or jealously. So what is needed is a more forthright way for people to express their opinion.

That is why I am advocating at all boat owner should be armed with shot guns If you were shot at each time you appeared somewhere or other you would soon get the idea that your presence was not welcome and the nice thing about a shot gun is that, other than at close quarters, it is not lethal so the jetskier gets time to learn . I suppose that a fringe benefit it that this could be new sport ‘jet ski hunting’ could go Olympic, who knows.

Des
Old 10 September 2004, 12:43   #17

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
What with gArfie targeting RIBsters with his 'RIB-flikkin' machine and now Scary Des taking pot shots at jet skiers, I'm very glad I invested in a Gekko helmet. Now can anyone tell me where I can buy a bullet-proof vest?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2004, 12:53   #18

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
My opinion about jest skiers and any oink that abuses any floating object and endangers the lives of people around him/her?

Well is a bit radical but

IS THIS!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2004, 12:57   #19

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
What with gArfie targeting RIBsters with his 'RIB-flikkin' machine and now Scary Des taking pot shots at jet skiers, I'm very glad I invested in a Gekko helmet. Now can anyone tell me where I can buy a bullet-proof vest?
I wouldn’t shoot you Louise, you are a responsible ribster or have you got latent jetski tendencies . Des
Old 10 September 2004, 13:01   #20
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
if you happen to have one, you're one too.
yeh, couldn't agree more. Recognise this geezer?
Attached Images