Old 31 January 2007, 11:56   #1

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Dogs on Ribs

Apols if this has been covered before (I did search .... honest).

We've finally settled on what rib we're getting (Cobra 6.65 HD) and will be collecting it in a few weeks. During the coming months we plan to be out on it a LOT. Prob is that we have a mutt here at home that we'd rather take with us when possible. He's a big aul eegit and can get a bit nervous at times (although he loves the sea when he enters it himself from beaches). Naturally we'll get him a lifejacket, but does anyone here have experience of taking their mutts ribbing? What would you suggest?

- take it easy the first few times to get him used to it?
- put him on lead and get a crewmember to hold / comfort?
- other?

... and what about paws/nails on the tubes?

Any advice gratefully received (both by myself and 'Boris')
Old 31 January 2007, 13:16   #2

Town: Co. Clare
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel Yamah
Boris will be OK. Dogs swim well without lifejackets. Paws/claws are no problem to tubes. My two hounds: one lays still on the deck and the other runs all over the place and looks keenly out to sea, front paws on tubes. Both become very excited when dolphins are spotted. Have had to restrain the pointer in this circumstance. Have known them both to lay motionless and look off-colour in turbulent conditions.
Only potential problems that spring to mind are boarding and disembarking. The dogs need a helping hand and this can be hazardous. Would advise you to practise this initially in a safe boarding place.
Finally bear in mind that owners have died trying to 'save' their pets.

P.
Old 31 January 2007, 13:30   #3

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
There is anarticle in this months RIB mag on just this subject.

If I was to take my dog (English Mastif) on a boat I would do a couple of 5 - 10 min trips to see how he gets on, then do some longer ones if he was OK. I would also buy him a lifejacket - dogs can drown too.

I would of thought the only real problem would be if if he gets seasick, guess that could make quite a mess .

Tim
Old 31 January 2007, 14:11   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by v666 View Post
I would of thought the only real problem would be if if he gets seasick, guess that could make quite a mess .
Point him over the stern and let him rip

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2007, 14:16   #5

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
You can buy bouency aids for dogs that have a handle on the top, makes lifting them in and out sooo much easier! Could try boating on a lake first to see if he likes it?
Old 31 January 2007, 14:33   #6

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Thanks for all the tips so far ... should also point out that he's a bit of a delicate flower and has a fondness for anonymity as can be noted below ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boz.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	24614  
Old 31 January 2007, 14:41   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
You can buy bouency aids for dogs that have a handle on the top, makes lifting them in and out sooo much easier! Could try boating on a lake first to see if he likes it?

May have a few problems with a Mastiff - would make a great aux though!!!
Old 31 January 2007, 15:11   #8

Town: Bala
Whether dogs are good swimmers or not depends on their breed - although all breeds CAN swim, some are better than others.

The problems with dogs swimming is that their back end must float... if that starts to sink they will get pulled under and drown. For this reason, I'd recommend a lifejacket - and also the fact that it makes it easier to lift in a wet dog.

Get him used to the lifejacket before you go boating. Just let him wear it around the house for a short while until he's happy wearing it and doesn't try to get out of it.

The various groups that train Newfoundlands as Water Rescue Dogs recommend a large piece of VetBed - http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/Store...etbed-Original - be put over the tubes when the dogs are getting in or out. Firstly, it protects your tubes from getting scratched, and secondly it gives the dog some grip to jump. It might also be good for him to lie on - as it'll stop him skidding around on the deck.

If he is as nervous as you make out, perhaps make a few trips out to the boat, get in it, switch the engine on and don't go anywhere. Just to let him get used to the noise and smells before he has to deal with any movement.
Remember how sensitive dogs noses are - that outboard is really going to stink to him.

Perhaps take him for a walk, put his lifejacket on, take him to the boat and start it up - making a really big fuss of him, lots of treats and praise for being chilled out about it, and ignoring him if he gets stressed out by it.

Start off with short trips on calm days and work up from there.

Hope that helps,
WMM
Old 31 January 2007, 15:11   #9

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Just take it a bit easy on your first few trips out. Get the dog used to it. Ours would either be up and looking around or fast asleep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cody boat sml.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	24615   Click image for larger version

Name:	safety first1.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	24616  
Old 31 January 2007, 15:45   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I bet he turns into a seadog in a short space of time.
Old 31 January 2007, 16:07   #11

Town: Bembridge
Boat name: Mellow Yellow
Make: Scorpion Pioneer
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards Twin 250's
MMSI: 235024352
We take our Labrador with us on the Rib, he sits up the bow,and looks off, if it gets a bit rough, then he comes back and sits between the jockey seats. You have most of the advice from others, all I would add, is when sitting close
you can comfort him, make it fun to jump on and off, but don't forget when and if you are going out, you may have to sit outside, if its a restaurant.
Old 31 January 2007, 16:32   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
My dive buddies have a yellow lab (well, now a yellow lab and a kid.)

We took Riley (the dog) out on a bit of a spin (pre-kiddo). A couple of us were going to do a quick dive, while one stayed up top with pooch.

So, life jacket on Riley, we motor out to our spot, drop the hook, and Riley spots a sea otter in the kelp, maybe 30 yards away. Full alert, straining to get closer over the tubes, until he decided to go after it.

I don't think I've ever seen a dog try to turn around so fast in my life. He hit the water, and immediately tried to get back on the boat. Don't think he realized that the surface wasn't ground. Until he hit it, that is. Lifting him in was a bit of a pain (big dog, even as a puppy), but it was easier with the top mounted handle on the CFD (canine flotation device.)

jky
Old 31 January 2007, 17:46   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
My Collie Stella is on and of our boats all the time. She runs about all over the RIBs when we are in the River / speed limit / flat water. As soon as we get out into Southampton water she finds it a bit bumpy over the ferry wakes etc and likes to sit on the bench seat at the back.

The thing I try to watch is that she does not soaked, she will cool down very quickly and I dont have any mustos that fit her

On the yacht she is quite happy in the Solent etc when we have land on most sides- open sea she tend to go below to the saloon for the first couple of days of a holiday.

Motor cruisers with flybridge she is quite happy up top.
Old 02 February 2007, 09:13   #14

Town: Torpoint
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Mariner 75hp
dogging on a rib

I've got two Cocker Spaniels and I take them out on my SR4 - they've both got lifejackets and as soon as I pick the jackets up the dogs can't wait to get them on.
They both like to put their front paws up on the tubes and look around when under way and I usually let them loose for a run about on a beach which they enjoy.
It's not so good for them in anything other than slight seas as it gets a bit too bumpy for them, although they have mastered a technique of wedging themselves between a leg and the inside of the tube either side of the centre console.
They've never been seasick, walk along the tubes and leap off the bow into the water to swim without causing any damage.
Lifejackets are great for lifting them in and out the boat/water/car etc.
Old 03 February 2007, 15:56   #15

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Our two Siberians LOVE the boat. Until last year, we also had a German Shephard... and I think he liked it more than I did!

Take it easy at first if it's choppy, but he'll come to love it in no time. One of the Huskies curls up and sleeps until we arrive at whatever destination we have chosen for "wildlife harrassment". The other rides high in the bow as lookout. When we slow down close to shore, he leaps out and swims to the island. I should train him to take a line when he goes, but I don't think I'd have much luck with that!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 20:31   #16

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I take my Border Collie everywhere in the boat except when diving. Put on a lifejacket as suggested and he is fine.
Two problems you have to watch though.
Mine tends to jump off the boat and swim for shore if you get too close although he does swim back when it is time to leave. keep them dry if you are going for a run of any length, they get cold quickly if they are saoking before you even start in the wind.
Rough weather is a problem as they can hold on, you really need a second person to hold onto them in any rough water as they just slide all over the deck, mine usually tries to jam himself between me and the console if there are any "bounces"
Old 22 January 2008, 23:24   #17

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
My Newfoundlands enjoy the RIB,

Although Tyrone the grey one is more active jumping all over the place and Luna the black one is a bit nervous about the slippery tubes. The CFD is key to helping them on and off. Having one slip in between the tube and a dock would be a real hassle and challenging. They aren't allowed to get out at sea cause they are just too big to retrieve (110+ lbs 55+kg)

Richard
Old 23 January 2008, 00:16   #18

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Navigation by dog

I was just re-reading this thread and I remembered a strange adventure from years ago...

It was my first inflatable... a Zodiac Mk II Compact (12.5') with a little Merc 25. I was diving in Georgina Bay with my eventual wife and our mangy old Samoyed cross. Navigation equipment consisted of a hand held CB radio, about the size of a loaf of bread... and a diving compass.

Sure enough, the fog rolled in and we couldn't see 50'... and we were well and throughly lost.

Our beast used to stand in the bow with his rear legs on the deck, kind of lying on the fabric "deck" across the pointy end. As we puttered about in the fog, he became quite agitated and "woofed" toward our port bow. I thought that he might be smelling land, so we cautiously motored in the direction his nose pointed... Within minutes we came across a cottager barbecuing hamburgers in his back yard, who gave us new bearings before we set off! We were saved thanks to old "Inuk".

Three boats, a new wife (almost) and 5 dogs later, my navigating skills have improved, as has the technology, but it's nice to know if all else fails, I will likely still have a beast to help find the way!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2008, 19:51   #19

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
That's a great story!
Old 23 January 2008, 20:30   #20

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none