Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 September 2007, 18:51   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
It seems to me that the whole design of the throttle lever / kill chord is wrong .
The throttle lever was surely made for slow boats , not fast boats .
The kill chord seems to be added as an afterthought , and its easy to forget to put it on
The only other thing that i can think of that has a hand throttle lever that stays set is a Tractor . Even a lawnmower has a dead mans handle .

A complete re think is what is required IMO

Yes, it's called a foot throttle. as you say, a setup where the driver also throttles in a boat that is capable of any more than say 30knts is fundementaly dangerous. my argument is that there's very little to keep you in a cockpitless boat if it changes direction quickly, or without warning.

You could in theory get wrenched away from the wheel/throttle, but still be within the boat, and close enough for the stretchy kill cord to remain connected, so sat in a driverless boat, at least for a few seconds. At least with a self returning throttle, you return to idle if the kill cord doesn't do it's job.

My foot throttle arangement:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	footthrottle.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	29874  
__________________

__________________
Jonny Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 18:56   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Great that turned from fuller to puller really well .

Maybe a racing boat cockpit is better if you are strapped in to a racing seat , but most speedboats / bowriders etc would only ensure you went through a widshield or smashed your legs uder the dash or whatever hardon boaters call it .
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 19:03   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,437
bowriders should be banned from going over 10knts, along with you lot.

when I talk about fast hardboats, I aint talking about all that windscreened/bowrider type American dross.

Having said all that, I'd still rather be in a drossy yank hardboat at 60, than any open rib, especially one equiped with those joke jockey ejector things!

Still, I hope you manage to stay in your boat having said all this to me.
__________________
Jonny Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 19:16   #24
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Jonny. I think you do have a point with regards RIBs and very high speed. Speedboats are good at that stuff and I don't think RIBs will ever beat speedboats at going fast and being reasonably safe.
However your average speedboat is pants in the rough stuff and thats why I use a RIB. If I wanted to ponce around in a speedboat I'd move to America and zoom around a nice smooth lake. Unfortunately I can't afford to do that just yet so I'll stick to my small RIB which is capable of a fair speed but loves the rough stuff and I can tow it, but not reverse, easily.

I've never seen a poncy speed boat at sea in February ! Plenty of yachts, a few RIBs and many fishing boats but not speedboats. As you say, for me, its Horses for courses !!!
__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 19:21   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Jonny. I think you do have a point with regards RIBs and very high speed. Speedboats are good at that stuff and I don't think RIBs will ever beat speedboats at going fast and being reasonably safe.
However your average speedboat is pants in the rough stuff and thats why I use a RIB. If I wanted to ponce around in a speedboat I'd move to America and zoom around a nice smooth lake. Unfortunately I can't afford to do that just yet so I'll stick to my small RIB which is capable of a fair speed but loves the rough stuff and I can tow it, but not reverse, easily.

I've never seen a poncy speed boat at sea in February ! Plenty of yachts, a few RIBs and many fishing boats but not speedboats. As you say, for me, its Horses for courses !!!
MMmn, you might occasionaly find me out in the winter, but it aint the boat stopping me from making regular trips out!.....ribs just attract the bowie knife survival type for some reason.
I'm not too sure what it is that everyone on here thinks makes a rib so good in rough conditions, but hey, if you wanna believe that, that's just fine.

As for 'speedboats', especially the ponsey yank bowrider type of thing, i'm in front of you in the que for calling them pants, so no argument there from me.
__________________
Jonny Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 19:24   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Must have posted together there , i was replying to previous post

But saying ribs are more dangerous , you have to compare like sized boats .
I think most 5m speedboats would give up in a rough sea long before the same size rib .

I hired a jetski recently on holiday , it wasn't my cup of tea but the lever throttle was very good , surely that could work on a rib .
Mount a hand throttle to a solid bar so you could hold on as well as adjust the throttle .

How difficult would it be for someone to make a kit to seperate the throttle cable from the gear selector , or even run a seperate cable to a thumb throttle so it could be used seperatly . I for one would be a customer .
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 19:31   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
saying ribs are more dangerous , you have to compare like sized boats . I think most 5m speedboats would give up in a rough sea long before the same size rib.
Well, to some degree, I agree with that, but that's because the average 5m 'speedboat' is a cheap piece of crap, for lake boating, or pulling a doughnut.

In comparison, I'd have a go go at you (race) in an 18' phantom, up against an equal sized rib (5m) with equal power, in any sea condition you chose. now that would be "like for like" and I'd be happy to have a wee wager on it too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I hired a jetski recently on holiday , it wasn't my cup of tea but the lever throttle was very good , surely that could work on a rib .
Mount a hand throttle to a solid bar so you could hold on as well as adjust the throttle .

How difficult would it be for someone to make a kit to seperate the throttle cable from the gear selector , or even run a seperate cable to a thumb throttle so it could be used seperatly . I for one would be a customer .
I think that's a fine idea. or maybe even a business opportunity!....could be your future that!!
__________________
Jonny Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 20:06   #28
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 312
Dog (strike that) Dandy at the Helm

Pardon me while I barf.
__________________
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 20:46   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller View Post
Well, to some degree, I agree with that, but that's because the average 5m 'speedboat' is a cheap piece of crap, for lake boating, or pulling a doughnut.

In comparison, I'd have a go go at you (race) in an 18' phantom, up against an equal sized rib (5m) with equal power, in any sea condition you chose. now that would be "like for like" and I'd be happy to have a wee wager on it too.

You could be right , I have never been in a phantom . All I can compare is when i see people swimming etc from speedboats they seem to almost dip the gunwhale under with one person stood on it . When the rib lands a bit on its side off a wave the tubes do put it back on even keel . There has been a few times i have felt that without the tubes things could have been a bit interesting .



I think that's a fine idea. or maybe even a business opportunity!....could be your future that!!
If I had time ,
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2007, 23:33   #30
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller View Post
You're a real switched on guy aren't you!

my comments are about how the usual seating setup, and lack of freeboard in rubber dinghies, generaly make them a poor vehicle for fast operation, coz any sharp change in direction is highly likely to result in an 'ejection'. That is not only 'fact', but with half a brain, it's pretty easy to see the logic.

Now, your fabulous comparison of the 61 year old pensioner, sat in a swivel chair at the bow of fast aluminum fishing boat is hardly representative of a performance cockpited hardboat intended for tearing about in a chop, is it!

"Ontario Provincial Police in Kenora said 61-year-old James Smith of Newport, Kentucky, was sitting in a swivel chair at the bow of the five-metre aluminum boat when the operator momentarily lost control of the vessel, causing him to fall out of his seat"

That sir, is nearly as stupid as trying to go fast in a rib!.....horses for courses, as we say here.

If you're going to quote me as talking Bullshit, please at least try and find an example that holds water (excuse the pun)
Do you prefer to run your raceboats fast, or do you prefer trolling? The incident I cited was because it happened within the last week. People get separated from there hardboats frequently in North America, especially when on the lakes that are larger than the average European country (eg. Great Lakes, L. Winnipeg, Great Slave L etc...) All it takes is a large wave to come over the bow/stern/side of the boat, and people are separated from it as it sinks straight to the bottom.

The premise of your argument that RIBs are no good for high speed boating does not hold water because it is based on your presumption that they cannot have racing style cockpits whereas hardboats can. The issue is really what style of seating/cockpit is appropriate for high speed boating not whether it's a RIB or a hardboat. There are lots of RIBS out there that are with cockpits for high speeds as well. I can't think of any racing hardboats I would prefer over a RIB such as an FB Techno 42 for travelling at high speeds in rough conditions. .
__________________

__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.