Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 10 July 2012, 13:05   #1

Town: hereford
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Documents and Legal Requirments

I am the owner of a small rib purchased recently for pleasure use and abit of recreational fishing! do i need any legal documents such as the SSR or similar before using it on the sea? if so what and where do i apply for this? Also what are the laws and legisaltions on where you can launch the rib from?? I am sorry if this is seen as abit stupid but i am new to ribs and ribbing and all information would be greatly recieved as i would not wish to break any rules or laws when using the rib! Thanks Seb
Old 10 July 2012, 13:11   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
In theory you don't need any paperwork or training to use your boat around the coast of the UK. In reality, it's a good idea to have insurance, some basic training (ideally an RYA powerboat level 2 if you're a beginner) and a VHF radio licence (a legal requirement if you plan to use a VHF radio on board, which is a good thing to have in case you get into trouble).

In terms of launching, different slipways have different rules and regulations. For example, if you launch at the Camber dock slipway in Old Portsmouth, you have to call up the harbour master on the radio to get permission to cross the harbour and head out to sea. Other places have no regulations at all. Your best bet is to buy an almanac which will have details of local regulations, and have a look at boatlaunch.co.uk which also has lots of info.