Engine: 200 O/B
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
Straight from the horse,s mouth so as to speak
Thanks for that Adam i found your site late last night actually
and very informative it is
The boat that you produced sat very high in the water i seam to remember
very light one would think am i right in thinking that Atlantis follows suit
Fairly light boats - but also look quiet high in the water as the design has what I term a 'double chine' effect. Something I have developed on a few craft now and works really well. The deadrise angles between the two chines being much steeper than the main planing surface. However the two surfaces murge into one in the forward sections as the main planing surface increases it's deadrise angles.

Gives the effect of a fairly narrow craft at speed and handles well as such - but in turns and rough weather the full beam comes into play and gives reserves of lift and bouyancy. Also of course giving greater internal beam and more freeboard.

Adam
Old 26 October 2006, 20:53   #23

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
At the risk of becoming a boar your boat carrys a 150 is that the optimum rig for that size hull or a racing set up

Or would it preform with a lesser unit i see the atlantis boat at 7.12
recomending 150 max with 8 up in wich case yours must start the adrenalin
racing some what
Old 28 October 2006, 15:02   #24

Town: Brussels
Boat name: Evi
Make: Yam 380S
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15HP 2st
I didn't understand. Have you finally been in touch with Atlantis RIBs?
I also asked them for some details about the boat. After a long silence I recently received an email with what I asked for. Maybe an accident. Hope everything all right.
Anyway seems a great boat. If somebody tried this RIB what is the impression? Fast seems a motto. What about stability? Can we speak about a smooth and dry ride? Or instead a chaotic one due to the speed? Finally what is the boat's bahavior in sea harsh conditions?
Thanks in advance and apology for my English.
Chris.
Old 28 October 2006, 19:06   #25

Town: Yarmouth
Boat name: 74 Rouge
Make: Aquavite
Length: 7m +
She was really designed as a performance boat - but not purely as a raceboat. If I was designing a raceboat there would be a number of differences to the steps especially, the overall beam etc.

Generally most of the raceboats I have designed are also about performing in all sea conditions that are raced - as I go very much by the theory that is average speeds that win races. Higher the average speed of course - but you have to have a boat that handles.

With regards to power the initial ideas were for the boat to run with fairly low power - I think she would be great with 115hp, especially the newer high cubic capacity green engines. However most (including my own) have been fitted with 150hp. However this is well within the hulls capabilities and I would be happy to run more horsepower - although more testing would be required for RCD considerations.

Adam
Old 29 October 2006, 13:43   #26

Thanks a lot Adam for the details.

As I understand it, does the handling of the boat works as a means for her performance? Do you mean, that in harsh sea conditions this hull needs more power hence higher speed in order to perform correctly? And if this is so, what happens with the inevitable hard impact on the water?
What I am tryig to say is how is the handling of this boat in bad sea conditions and in lower speeds ? In these conditions is it possible to take it slow (doing say 10 and 15 knots) and hope for a dry and smooth ride or not?

Chris.
Old 29 October 2006, 14:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Thanks a lot Adam for the details.

As I understand it, does the handling of the boat works as a means for her performance? Do you mean, that in harsh sea conditions this hull needs more power hence higher speed in order to perform correctly? And if this is so, what happens with the inevitable hard impact on the water?
What I am tryig to say is how is the handling of this boat in bad sea conditions and in lower speeds ? In these conditions is it possible to take it slow (doing say 10 and 15 knots) and hope for a dry and smooth ride or not?

Chris.
Certainly no to requiring more power - the hull rides very level as a result of the steps actually making it pretty easy to drive in big seas. For it size it has a good degree of bouyancy built into the forward sections and as such stays very dry. Also the tapered step design that I have developed does allow for improved low speed characteristics over more conventional constant depth steps

Always depend on what seas you have in mind - but I would have no problems in comparing her rough water abilities to any other comparable craft. 10 to 15 knots is a tricky speed for boats of around 7 metres as you will probably not be fully planing and also depends what sea direction you are dealing with to a large degree.
Old 29 October 2006, 19:36   #28

Thanks again for your precisions and... patience.
Old 30 October 2006, 21:58   #29

No i have herd nothing Chrisk frankly i have lost intrest
if i took this long to acknowledge a inquiry i would be broke

The boat its self looked impressive however my intrest is now focused elsewhere
One last question nothing to do with atlantis ribs do you find that bucket seats
comfortable Adam in a sea compaired to jockys i like the idea could do with the lumber support the old back is shot
Thanks for your intrest CrisK and your help Adam
Old 30 October 2006, 22:08   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
One last question nothing to do with atlantis ribs do you find that bucket seats
comfortable Adam in a sea compaired to jockys i like the idea could do with the lumber support the old back is shot
I find a good bucket seat very acceptable - and does have a number of advantages over jockey seats as well as some disadvantages.

However there are few seats that are really designed for boating.

We made our own seat moulds and I think they are very good - but have been playing around with some ideas of a seat that is really a cross between a traditional jockey seat and a bucket seat that may well provide a really neat solution.

Adam
Old 30 October 2006, 22:35   #31

Interesting back support while keeping the legs as springs