Old 24 March 2024, 18:35   #1

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
DIY Seats & Sewing Machine

Has anyone had a go a making their own seat cushions? And if you did, could I have some recomendations on a decent, but still budget, sewing maching (probably a used one) that could handle the vinyl. How did it all turn out?
Thank you.
Old 24 March 2024, 23:28   #2

Length: 3m +
What is your cushion attaching to? Is it solid based?

I think people often manage to fold vinyl (like wrapping a Christmas present) and staple it to a plywood base. But... ...I'd expect stitching if you don't have a huge amount of experience is hard to do well...

...I expect it's far easier to find someone who can do it for you.
Old 24 March 2024, 23:51   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Hi Matt. I have a nice old pfaff machine I use for cover repairs maybe 3 layers deep with a v69 needle. Vinyl seats are a different league, the thicker the material the smaller the stitch gets on average machines and the harder it is to keep it well spaced. I used to muck about in car stereo industry and as a well reputed shop we mostly worked in vinyl and leather (rather than carpet) the lad that did upholstery had a cracking walking foot machine. £.k

If it's a repair or a touch up you might get away with a denim or "jeans" classified machine.

I live sewing but don't get enough time on the machine.its art and mathematics in one. Very impressed by those that can' do it
Old 25 March 2024, 04:34   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
A Sailrite walking foot sewing machine is what I use for vinyl, Sunbrella, and leather with a #18 needle typically. Otherwise I have a nice Brother industrial machine for more cloth projects. It has a BIG motor, but no walking foot. I got a lot of help from a close friend to redo my boats interior. Remaking the seat bases wider to accommodate more or larger butts from fresh wood, sealing them in epoxy, and making thicker foam cores. Do use marine foam that won't absorb water, and it cuts easily enough with a sharp bread knife. The thicker the vinyl, the less it will bunch up. Polyester thread won't degrade as much in the sun.

Staples are not the way to attach it. Best is to use a zipper and go all the way around the seat base. Starboard would be preferable over wood, but wood sealed with epoxy will outlast the original seat bases.

Sailrite has a ton of information on their webpage and they have a Youtube channel showing how to do about every sewing repair on a boat.
https://www.sailrite.com/
Look at the top for "Learn"