Old 02 August 2004, 19:21   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
DIY rib tube attachment

Guys,

Once again I look to you as the fountain of all RIBing knowledge.

I would like to learn about fitting rib tubes because I am a poor student and there is no way I could afford to get it fitted! As far as I understand it is done using a contact adhesive between the hull and tube and then a strip is glued along the bottom edge. I gather it is difficult but not impossible to do it yourself.

A few things I would like to know are:
1) is this a stupid idea and should I just pay someone £400 to do it?
2) Being a contact adhesive, I assume you have to apply as much pressure as possible to make a good bond...if so how do you do this? do the any air bubbles have to be rolled out somehow?
3) What atmospheric conditions/temp are needed for the glue?
4) I've been told it is best done with the tube half inflated? Any thoughts on this?
5) Is a single strip on the outside enough? Should there be one on the inside too?
6) Anyone have any tips on the best way to go about it? its for a 5m rib and will (if it goes ahead) be done in a regular garage. I thought maybe stick the tube on first with tape to get the position, then mark on the tube and the hull to get the alignment. Then tie it to the ceiling above the hull and lower it down into position after the adhesive had been applied. Any thoughts?

I would love to hear from people that have done this before and could offer advice. Any tips or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim
Old 02 August 2004, 19:27   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Tim,

You're a student... and you live adjacent to the Solent... and you're interested in finding out about RIB building processes...

Have you considered getting a summer job with a local RIB building company? - there's lots around you.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2004, 19:39   #3

Richard,

I am a mechanical engineering student at soton uni and my aim is to eventually get into powerboat/rib design because I have a huge amount of interest in it. This forum is therefore great for me, because as well as helpful like minded people such as yourself, there also seems to be quite a few people involved in rib design and manufacture on here.

I have indeed considered companies around where I live but at the moment i'm sponsored by AMS in Cowes on the Isle of Wight who design and build Radars. Not exactly what I want to do but its all experience and of course money. I have to work for them every summer while I'm at uni which means I can't be out in my rib!

Any ideas on fitting tubes?!

Cheers

Tim
Old 02 August 2004, 20:47   #4

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
DIY RIB tube attachment

Tim

If you have a look at the following link you will find a drawing showing how the tubes are attached. If you give me a call on 01963 33237 during office hours I will talk through the process to be followed and answer your questions about adhesive etc.

http://www.henshaw.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.110

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2004, 22:21   #5

Chris,

Thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it. I have however spoken to various other people and am a bit more clued up on the matter.

I'm quite surprised that there aren't many others on this forum who have attached a tube themselves? Is there anyone who lives on the isle of wight who might be willing to lend a hand attaching a tube if my project gets underway (for free!)?!

Thanks for your help

Tim