Old 09 February 2005, 04:19   #1

Dispute with RIB International Magazine

< Edit: The original message claimed that Hugo Montgomery Swan had reneged on an agreement to pay for an article to be used in RIB International Magazine. I have been assured by his solicitors that this is not the case, and have deleted the statement which in their opinion is defamatory. JK 5 March 05 >

Old 09 February 2005, 09:04   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordrafting
< Edit: Quoted text deleted JK >

What is mean't by 'work with the article'? I would guess that if you brought this fellow along specifically as a reporter, he would be well trained & experienced at writing magazine articles. Why would HMS be altering the article (assuming the submission was within the agreed upon length)?

I think it's great that HMS has spearheaded the creation of RIB magazine and I enjoy reading it when I can get copies of it here in Winnipeg. Nonetheless, I have never seen such poorly written articles as those submitted by HMS in any magazine that I have ever read. I find his articles almost incomprehensible and ususally resign my self to looking at the pictures in the article.

Hopefully HMS himself does not edit/alter the submissions of other writers, since he does not have the expertise to do this properly.

Old 09 February 2005, 09:37   #3

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Join the club.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber
I find his articles almost incomprehensible and ususally resign my self to looking at the pictures in the article.
......I've had this very conversation with a pal of mine. Both of us feel let down and dare I say "ripped off" by so many of these monthy magazines. I myself subscribe to several (M.B.U.K - Mountain Bike U.K, Cycling Weekly, Yachting Monthly, R.I.B International of course and something from the R.Y.A) and upon receipt I find I've digested the entire content of article copy within one or two evenings of bedtime reading. For the remainder of the month I spend my time - much to my wifes amusement, staring at the pictures. In fact, I have contemplated submitting an article myself, however I fear I'd simpy be fuelling the drivel that already appears, rather than enhancing it. That said, let's not be to hard on the likes of HMS as I for one am greatful for anything R.I.B related. If you dare to take a look at M.B.U.K you'll find that more than 80% of the mag' is taken over by advertisments, 10% by "Where to Ride" (bloody useless if you ask me) with the remaining 10% devoted to new bike trials. Needless to say, I will not be renewing my subscription to that one. So what would interest me ? Well, hows about a "How to" section, e.g. How to winterize - How to Change.... - How to Repair... etc. I'm sure you get my drift. Ah well.........
Old 09 February 2005, 09:49   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
To be honest, most magazines are quick reads - I get through Private Eye in 1-2 hours at most, and while its a thin publication, it is mostly articles with a few adverts - the information in it is a lot more comprehensive than Rib International! (ok FHM has 100+ pages, but you arent really reading the articles!)

The things I like to read most are trip reports - e.g. cruise information, or in the dive magazines, expedition reports.

Ricky
Old 09 February 2005, 10:08   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Weve been here before, criticising RIB Int. But none of us came up with an alternative except starting a magazine ourselves. I for one have ideas but no time.

The main issue as I see it is that most of us on Rib.net are practical types who do most things ourselves, on a budget, and want a RIB magazine more like Practical Boat Owner, and without the constant badly written 50K RIB tests and repeated content.

I have already written some short stories about my early RIB experiences with my Father when I was a teenager, but have not managed to find time to continue with them into my more recent experiences, but do have plenty of topics. I also have a list of technical articles I could write given the time, and have started some of them.

Im hoping to spend more time on this in the next couple of months and was considering sending them to RIB Int. to see what reaction I got. If not Ill pass them on to Practical Boat Owner to see if they wanted them.

Nasher.
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2005, 10:13   #6

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Fjordrafting

If you have a issue with Hugo I would take it up with him rather than start a bun fight on here. Unless Hugo was going to come on here and put his point across we will only hear one side.

All you will gain from a post like this is resentment towards yourself.

Regards

Mark
Old 09 February 2005, 10:31   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey
Fjordrafting....

All you will gain from a post like this is resentment towards yourself....
Agreed.
Old 09 February 2005, 10:46   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Seconded

Even after my comments above.

Nasher
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2005, 10:54   #9

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Well, there is another way, we poll forum members for what we do want to see and then get Mr Kennet (if he is agreeable) to forward a sensible and productive suggestion to HMS at RIB INternational.

I read it and am aware of some of its shortcommings, however I also write myself, so I can sympathise with some problems. There are indeed features which I would love to see but so far have never come to light in the mag.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2005, 11:59   #10

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey
Fjordrafting

If you have a issue with Hugo I would take it up with him rather than start a bun fight on here. Unless Hugo was going to come on here and put his point across we will only hear one side.

All you will gain from a post like this is resentment towards yourself.

Regards

Mark
Good Point. If there is an actual contract dispute here (verbal or written) Rib.net is not an appropriate conduit for to persuing the issue. Nonetehless, RIB International does need major improvements in the editing department.