Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 February 2005, 07:59   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
Hello Christopher,

Unforunately this Forum doesn't have a Tounge in chief emoticon. The quote was from a thread on Ribsters which raised my eyebrows a bit. But then I am a cynical old Celt

Let me explain my comment 'a stat verified by ABC' (which is short for Audit Bureau of Circulation) , It is my belief that the circulation figures are worked out by how many people read one magazine as opposed to buy em!

I guess it's worth pointing out that the Rib and Sports Boat Show is running again at Town Quay Southampton for those of you that don't fancy a sea trip
__________________

__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 12:22   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I read somewhere here on Ribsters ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
The quote was from a thread on Ribsters
Are those typos Stu? Did you mean Kim's forum or here on RN?
Just trying to locate the reference.

missus
__________________

__________________
Happy New Resolutions!!! : RIBbing for the craic!!!
The Jackeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 14:06   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
This was the line that I was referring to. The thread was called Rib and Sports Boat Show

Many potential exhibitors pulled out of Ribex last year to their own detriment as almost 10,000 people attended
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2005, 17:50   #34
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 105
To add my tuppence worth...

Fjordrafting - I see no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't voice the issue here... however your language may be a bit confrontational. I won't get into the rights and wrongs of what HMS/RibInt did as we only have half the story here but I wholeheartedly support your right to voice whatever you wish in here.

Personally, I believe that its supply and demand. RibInt will get away with providing a substandard product for as long as it is the sole publication out there. Its not your cover free that pays the wages, but the ads... and right now, Ribint is one of the few targetted vehicles for advertisers available.

I have not renewed my subscription because I do not feel the product is up to scratch, however I'm sure HMS has done his sums and worked out that he needn't up the quality whilst he is the only 'player' in the market.

However, a salutary lesson - someone with higher standards WILL come along and start a rival mag at some point as the industry grows. And then hopefully the standards across the board will be forced to rise. Personally, i have a lot of time for people who take risks in business and drive new ventures - so hats off to HMS for that, however for me, the mag needs to improve.

others are obviously still happy to buy - you pays your money and you takes your choice.
__________________
EdwardH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2005, 08:34   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
If you dare to take a look at M.B.U.K you'll find that more than 80% of the mag' is taken over by advertisments, 10% by "Where to Ride" (bloody useless if you ask me) with the remaining 10% devoted to new bike trials. Needless to say, I will not be renewing my subscription to that one.
Urgh, most pointless monthly waste of glossy paper known to man. Bought that one myself a couple of times, and apart from the odd techniques article by Steve Peat it's complete rubbish. They actively encourage illegal riding (in one issue I had they ran a 4 page article on a street ride they did somewhere, and were busy gloating about how many security guards and pedestrians they annoyed), and as you say, seem to focus almost entirely on ads and Trials riding. Much prefer MBR or What MTB myself, though Singletrack is a good read too, if a bit arty-farty at times.

As for RIB International, I'd love to be able to buy it locally to try it out, but as nowhere seems to stock it the only option would be subscription, which I'm not willing to do considering how much bad press the thing gets.
__________________
narked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2005, 10:09   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by narked
Urgh, most pointless monthly waste of glossy paper known to man. Bought that one myself a couple of times, and apart from the odd techniques article by Steve Peat it's complete rubbish. They actively encourage illegal riding (in one issue I had they ran a 4 page article on a street ride they did somewhere, and were busy gloating about how many security guards and pedestrians they annoyed), and as you say, seem to focus almost entirely on ads and Trials riding. Much prefer MBR or What MTB myself, though Singletrack is a good read too, if a bit arty-farty at times.
I completely agree, an absolute pile of s**te. I used to buy mbuk all the time, now its just turned into a comic book aimed at young scallies who do their mountain biking in carparks, and I'm not just refering to trials riders!

Anyway, slightly off topic! As a photographer that has and would like to continue to supply images to RI, I wouldn't like to comment, whether it be good or bad. Perhaps we could work towards a RIBnet issue of RI where we get a few articals in one issue and see if it makes a better read?

Tim
__________________
slimtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2005, 10:29   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
I completely agree, an absolute pile of s**te. I used to buy mbuk all the time, now its just turned into a comic book aimed at young scallies who do their mountain biking in carparks, and I'm not just refering to trials riders!

Anyway, slightly off topic! As a photographer that has and would like to continue to supply images to RI, I wouldn't like to comment, whether it be good or bad. Perhaps we could work towards a RIBnet issue of RI where we get a few articals in one issue and see if it makes a better read?

Tim
This thread started because Fjordrafting felt that HMS was in breach of contract with a reporter who accompanied him on his trip. If what Fjordrafting says is right this should worry you Tim because next time it might be you that is on the receiving end of this type of practice It has always been the case that if a commissioned reporter or photographer did not deliver what you were expecting that you (as the commissioning editor) paid-up but never used them again. Des
__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2005, 10:48   #38
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Anyway, slightly off topic! As a photographer that has and would like to continue to supply images to RI (snip)
Tim
Tim,

Out of interest do you get paid for images supplied to RI?

(Please tell me to mind my own business if you'd rather not say)
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2005, 10:50   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
This thread started because Fjordrafting felt that HMS was in breach of contract with a reporter who accompanied him on his trip. If what Fjordrafting says is right this should worry you Tim because next time it might be you that is on the receiving end of this type of practice It has always been the case that if a commissioned reporter or photographer did not deliver what you were expecting that you (as the commissioning editor) paid-up but never used them again. Des
I have read a lot about all this stuff as I need to protect myself against people/companies/editors using my work without permission or without paying. I have yet to have any major problems as I try and make sure I get written comfirmation of rights, use and payment (although it sounds as though Fjordrafting's reporter did all this?) before the images are used.

Various bodies setup to protect photographers/reporter's interests always state that if an image has been used without permission, you should invoice for perhaps double (or more) of what would normally be paid. This is all very well and the law would be on your side (i think) but there is often the additional problem of being blacklisted by an editor if you kick up too much of a fuss about misuse of images. If all photographers etc did this then there would be little or no misuse of work!

Cheers

Tim
__________________
slimtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2005, 10:55   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Tim,

Out of interest do you get paid for images supplied to RI?

(Please tell me to mind my own business if you'd rather not say)

Alan, yes I have been. Per pic, its not a king's ransom, but it is a small mag with a limited production run so it is expected. I was paid for 4 pics though so it all mounts up and I put it all towards my RIB build project so it all helps!

Cheers

Tim
__________________

__________________
slimtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.