Old 27 May 2010, 08:26   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Last November, I was doing holding an organised Flare Demo, when an orange smoke exploded in my hands, burnt my protective gloves, melted one of my clothing layers and bruised my leg.

This Flare was in date, and was always deemed the safest type of flare being orange smoke. I filled in accident report and flare demos have been suspended.
That must have been scary. Have your demos been suspended pending an investigation, or just stopped?

This would seem to be a very unusual isolated incident, as quality control on these products is generally pretty good (for obvious reasons). Something like this shouldn't mean that setting off flares in general is unacceptably hazardous though.

Quote:
This flare was 2 years in date...I would not like to set off out of date flares, how do you handle a misfire? what do you do if you get a misfire?

Do you really want to carry expired explosives in your rib? You can submerge a flare in water and it will not go out!
If you have a misfire (ie the device doesn't fire when you activate it) then you treat it exactly as you would any other time expired flare.

Being "out of date" doesn't make flares suddenly dangerous. They're not going to spontaneously combust. You may find that they burn less brightly, or appear to be less red, or at worst simply don't fire.

I think that keeping expired flares on board as a back up is a good idea. There's no real downside to it, and they just might come in handy one day.
Old 27 May 2010, 08:51   #22

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post

I would be committing an offence if I stood in my garden slowly and repeatedly raising and lowering my outstretched arms.
......and a hazard to aircraft
Old 27 May 2010, 09:31   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +

Damn. There goes my coffee again . . .
Old 27 May 2010, 13:26   #24

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
The Coastguard have spent millions
a tad of an exageration perhaps. The words millions, spend and coastguard are rarely seen together in a sentence and with cuts everywhere the CG will doubtless be a prime target for cost savings-but when ya cut to the bone already there is not much further to go!