Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 04 May 2014, 18:07   #21

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
A new boat...okay, can't go wrong there. Wrong outboard...umm no! Wrong outboard with failing gaskets...NO WAY!!! Those gaskets are cracking all over the place. If it were mine I would be performing a complete teardown before it fails.

Is there a reason you want a SIB? If putting it on a trailer I would recommend a RIB.
Old 04 May 2014, 18:07   #22

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Bill Higham Marine's name keeps popping up all to often with people buying sub standard ribs and sibs off him maybe the company name should have a public health warning like on a packet of cigarettes.

I did think that once that they have been selling ribs for a few years that they might have learned something but it just looks like they are out for a quick profit no matter what.
Old 04 May 2014, 18:39   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
You have heard it all now - demand your money back pronto - I'd even leave him a phone message to get ready for you coming on Tuesday!
Old 04 May 2014, 18:58   #24

Town: Manchester
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
What an absolute load of cobblers Who told you that
That was from Bill him self, when I talked to him over the phone.

Seems these guys have got a pretty bad reputation, I'll be demanding my money back that's for sure. Simon have another thing coming if he thinks he can get away with this.

Looks like I'll be searching for a new boat and engine then, shame really as this is the start of the season but hey, rather now then sorry later.

Thanks all for the feedback/replies, been a great help. I'll update you guys of the end result.
Old 04 May 2014, 19:06   #25

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I purchased a ex rnli unit 40 hp mariner of bh once it seemed to be a good unit. I sold it off to a fellow ribnet member and I believe he had no serious problems with it either. btw the shaft lenght on that unit was 17.5 inches mid way between a long and short shaft.
Old 04 May 2014, 19:43   #26

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
ive found bill higham to be very helpful and very knowledgable. simon i will not deal with. my current engine (force 120) is a cracking engine, had a couple of issues with it at first but all parts replaced with no quibbles at all. it was however delivered to my mates garage in the back of a small van having just been slung in there with very little care - ive just resprayed it to get rid of the scrapes and the hole in the cover! as for the the rnli using seapro's, dont make me laugh!!!!!!
Old 04 May 2014, 20:01   #27

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
ive found bill higham to be very helpful and very knowledgable. simon i will not deal with. my current engine (force 120) is a cracking engine, had a couple of issues with it at first but all parts replaced with no quibbles at all. it was however delivered to my mates garage in the back of a small van having just been slung in there with very little care - ive just resprayed it to get rid of the scrapes and the hole in the cover! as for the the rnli using seapro's, dont make me laugh!!!!!!
Problem is Jonathan, Bill has retired and Simon has taken over the business. People are being ripped off with shoddy not fit for purpose boats and Bill doesn't seem to do anything about it.

So in my eyes BH Marine is a dodgy company with Del boy at the helm.
Old 04 May 2014, 21:27   #28

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I have been using Bill for about 20 years for parts and service work, and despite his eye wateringly expensive prices I have always been happy. If I had a problem it would be sorted straight away and if I needed a 'grimbleyfurby' for a 1987 2 stroke Yamaha he would always have a few in a box.

However I have never seen such a mess for a 'professional' paint job. A 10 year old could do better with a pack of crayons. The whole lot will fall off in days. I'm really shocked that they would let that out of the door, and disgusted that they sold it to you.

Selling you a short shaft engine for a long shaft boat is just bonkers and shows a worrying lack of knowledge by the seller. Its had zero prep work and then a rattle can spray over. I would say the engine is now worth less than before it was 'resprayed'.

Glad you are going to throw the whole lot back at them, they deserve it. They actually deserve a good internet kicking as well (which I'm sure Ribnet can deliver ).
Old 05 May 2014, 05:31   #29

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
What a terrible story, you expect this from an eBay seller but not 'proper' dealer.

As you can see you have rattled everyone with this, you not only have the weight of Ribnet behind you but also consumer law, you've clearly been sold something not fit for purpose, get a full refund for the whole package, you're entitled to it.

What a crap way to start the season, really sorry to hear, but I guess 5 knots is better then bobbing about with a failed engine.
Old 05 May 2014, 08:14   #30

Town: east lincs coast
Length: under 3m
I must say my experience with this Company was also very poor.I travelled from the East coast to collect a 2700 Seapro air deck on arrival Simon was out the boat was boxed under an assortment of tool boxes not quite what I was expecting!!Opened the box at home no manual although that has since been sent the floor supports were bent on the corners if I had lived closer it would have gone back.Not the best experience for my first SIB purchase.The product seems ok and what I had expected however the service was appalling.Lesson learnt one supplier to remove from the list.Glad i've had the opportunity to vent my feelings also
Old 05 May 2014, 08:20   #31

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
from my experience last year of very poor service from a main Honda dealer, I've learnt my lesson and any future large, or small, purchases will be preceded by asking Ribnet members for advice on the dealer or product, at least I could blame 6 months of chemo for my bad choice of dealer at the time, and I don't want either experience again
Old 05 May 2014, 13:00   #32

Again many thanks for the feed back and support. I agree what some have said that some have had good service from them in the past. I myself went there on the recommendation of a mate that used them often years ago and was happy with them. However things seemed to have changed.

When I first asked about the Seapro the one guy in there told me you get the seat bag, bow bag etc with the sib. However when I got my box those items were missing and when I asked Simon he said you have to purchase them separately for £30 odd each (cant remember exact amount but something like that)

When I took it back due to poor quality I had to go pick it up from the warehouse, this time it was an un-opened box and when I got home surprise surprise those items were included. He was with other customers at that moment trying to flog them a big boat so probably did not have the time to remove it...

The current sib does seem fairly decent quality but have my doubts now plus no good with a 20" transom and a short shaft. In future buyers beware of this company!

Thanks.
Old 05 May 2014, 13:07   #33

Town: east lincs coast
Length: under 3m
Told me exactly the same bow bag and seat bag extra!!Both in the box when I got home!!Must be his standard pitch!!He must be the company sales prevention officer
Old 05 May 2014, 13:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
A new boat...okay, can't go wrong there. Wrong outboard...umm no! Wrong outboard with failing gaskets...NO WAY!!! Those gaskets are cracking all over the place. If it were mine I would be performing a complete teardown before it fails.

Is there a reason you want a SIB? If putting it on a trailer I would recommend a RIB.
Hi Peter.

I do not currently have storage for a trailered boat, although I might have in the future. I am also a little bit worried that I'll need to launch from slips all the time, some places we go to one can only launch/recover over high water, it's nice to be able to launch any state of the tide, something I think might be difficult with a rib due to weight, dont suppose you can fit them with transom wheels? Rib's also seem a bit more pricy... Obviously a rib would have been preferred.

Thanks Chris
Old 05 May 2014, 13:43   #35

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
i enquired about a yam 90 ages ago, eventually the higher resolution pics came thro.Clearly showed the skeg 1/3 was missing, i told him this and he replied, Its not missing mate and you get what you pay for...
May they go bust and rot for the crap verbally and otherwise that comes out of that company!
Old 06 May 2014, 13:23   #36

Town: manchester
Make: Seapro
Engine: 125 mariner opti
wow flippin' eck guys, i know a lot of you that have written these posts…

i feel genuinely hurt about what you have written on here.

chris: the first i heard about your upset with the 30 johnson was this morning, you explained your concerns and i offered you an immediate and full refund. the 430HD is built with a short transom, however, our latest batch have been made with long transom by mistake, the first we knew of this was your boat - there is NO WAY i would intentionally sell a short shaft engine for a long shaft boat.
with regard to the engine paint job, we have recently taken on a new spray man, this is unacceptable paint finish and he will be addressed about it. i hope you are happy with the way i have dealt with this but if not please let me know.

Steve Kern: you are seriously out of order with the way you have spoken about me and our business. i bent over backwards for you during the chinese hull problems you had. I ended up £3000 out of pocket on your boat alone, but i still kept my word to you.
andy hadden: your boat was from the same batch as steves and we refunded you in full aswell. this chinese manufacturer took us for over £20,000 and nearly put us out of business so at that time we refunded both of you from our personal accounts so that we could afford to do it without going bump.

Steve kearn: you said after our last meeting that you thought we had dealt with the problems really well and you thanked me for being straight and doing the right thing by you. so what has happened since to provoke such spiteful and damaging remarks?

good service especially after sale is THE most important thing to me and i go out of my way to help any customer with a problem. we get emails and phone calls every week attesting to our good service and hardly ever have customers saying they feel unhappy with us in any way.

i would ask that please if anybody is unhappy with anything they buy or any service they receive from us to call. its that simple, just pick up the phone. at least give us the chance to help if things aren't what you expected.

i would finally say that those of you who have replied and are genuine people, please re-read this whole thread and decide for yourselves why you have posted, is it to look good in front of your mates?

if so there is a word for that - Bullying, almost excusable as a kid, but you are adults and should know better, it isn't cool or fair.
Old 06 May 2014, 14:04   #37

Town: Gillingham
Boat name: Harrys Game
Make: Avon WB 450
Engine: Yamaha F50
"i would finally say that those of you who have replied and are genuine people, please re-read this whole thread and decide for yourselves why you have posted, is it to look good in front of your mates?"
I consider myself a genuine person and my reply was in response to a request for advice. My suggestion from the evidence supplied was to return the item.You yourself have said that you offered him a full refund so it would seem my advice was reasonable.People ask for advice, I give it if I think I can contribute in a positive manner. So in answer no I am not trying to look good in front of my mates. I have had no dealings with your Company so no axe to grind there. Regards Jim
Old 06 May 2014, 14:25   #38
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Hi Simon, and welcome to RIBnet.

Thanks for letting us hear your take on things, it's always good to hear both sides of a story.
Old 06 May 2014, 15:44   #39
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Hi Simon, and welcome to RIBnet.

Thanks for letting us hear your take on things, it's always good to hear both sides of a story.
Seconded.Welcome to Ribnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhigham View Post
our latest batch have been made with long transom by mistake, the first we knew of this was your boat - there is NO WAY i would intentionally sell a short shaft engine for a long shaft boat.
with regard to the engine paint job, we have recently taken on a new spray man, this is unacceptable paint finish and he will be addressed about it.
A silly question but don't you PDI new boats or inspect motors before they go out of the door?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 15:56   #40

My advice would be to listen to your own internal advice, its telling you that most probably these issues are only the tip of the iceburg and you may find other issues if you stick with it. You know its not right, see if you can take it back and get your money back if they cause difficult threaten to sue them.

Tags
bill higham marine, seapro