Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 August 2014, 09:08   #91
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
To be fair, if you want some out of date flares it seems like the best place to go....
makes you feel safe dont it
out of date flares
chopped down transoms
un trained staff
no quality control
wrong shaft engines
and boats that fall apart
put this together with maybe some "new" boaters
maybe a donation towards running costs to the RNLI wouldnt go amiss due to future call outs that may come of this
__________________

__________________
stigoftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 10:25   #92
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,239
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigoftd View Post
after reading all of this thread i see a pattern appearing and with my experience with trying to get hold of proper answers and spares even a call back from someone who knows what they are talking about to order the correct spare part from b/h i have always ended up taking my business else where to someone who actually wants to sell you the right part with good advice and at a reasonable price with excellent after sales
ime sorry but i also ust to run a business and every customer left happy with what they wanted or asked for if they had a problem it was sorted there and there and they had no need to go shouting about it or spreading it over the net which is usually the last thing they should do you need to make sure your customers know that if they have a problem they come to you and only you first - either way you look at it the business has been around for a long time but now under new management time will only tell and getting it right from the start of your take over will secure your future
And after reading that reply I nearly passed out.
__________________

__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 10:31   #93
RIBnet supporter
 
Copinsay's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 416
Or maybe it was this type of out of date Flares you free got with the boat?

Unisex 70's Flared Trousers

Should not jump to conclusions.... probabaly less dangerous too (in some situations)
__________________
Copinsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 10:31   #94
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Concorde
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 V6
MMSI: 235103209
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 36
my contribution:

1) I bought an outboard from Bill Higham on the phone, no complaints about the price, customer service or quality.

2) I think all people were looking for from Simon here was to say: we screwed up, sorry, here's why it won't happen again. what we got was "our paint guy screwed up, our supplier screwed up" not quite the same.

3) I think bitching about the flare thing is not helpful, I imagine he was trying to do the guy a favour, yes out out of date flares are bad, but an out of date flare may be better than no flare (but acquiring a new one is clearly the only "safe" choice).
__________________
mdearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 10:38   #95
RIBnet supporter
 
Copinsay's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdearman View Post
I imagine he was trying to do the guy a favour,
Some good points though I'd disagree re the flares from the comments here:

Flare training???
__________________
Copinsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 10:57   #96
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
And after reading that reply I nearly passed out.
any reason ?
__________________
stigoftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 10:59   #97
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,239
RIBase
Disastrous start with new boat, need some advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigoftd View Post
any reason ?
I ran out of breath
__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 12:12   #98
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdearman View Post
my contribution:

but an out of date flare may be better than no flare (but acquiring a new one is clearly the only "safe" choice).

No you are wrong, especially for a newbie. Because someone has a flare, they dont think they need to buy another one, so they dont.

2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months etc later they need to use it in a life threatening situation and all they get is a damp pop and a fizzle.

Flares have dates for a reason, you could make an argument for carrying out of date flares as extra's to your standard in date kit *, bit not instead of it.

As for a business giving an out of date flare to a customer, I cant believe how stupid that is. How would you feel if Tesco gave you an out of date chicken or a car dealer gave you an out of date MOT on a car ? Quite apart from the possible life altering possibilities, imagine the liability issues for the business if it all goes wrong.

*I wouldnt use out of date flares because I have seen how much damage a faulty one can do to a person.
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 12:27   #99
RIBnet supporter
 
Copinsay's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
No you are wrong, especially for a newbie. Because someone has a flare, they dont think they need to buy another one, so they dont.

2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months etc later they need to use it in a life threatening situation and all they get is a damp pop and a fizzle.

Flares have dates for a reason, you could make an argument for carrying out of date flares as extra's to your standard in date kit *, bit not instead of it.

As for a business giving an out of date flare to a customer, I cant believe how stupid that is. How would you feel if Tesco gave you an out of date chicken or a car dealer gave you an out of date MOT on a car ? Quite apart from the possible life altering possibilities, imagine the liability issues for the business if it all goes wrong.

*I wouldnt use out of date flares because I have seen how much damage a faulty one can do to a person.
__________________
Copinsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 12:42   #100
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,594
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
No you are wrong, especially for a newbie. Because someone has a flare, they dont think they need to buy another one, so they dont.

2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months etc later they need to use it in a life threatening situation and all they get is a damp pop and a fizzle.

Flares have dates for a reason, you could make an argument for carrying out of date flares as extra's to your standard in date kit *, bit not instead of it.

As for a business giving an out of date flare to a customer, I cant believe how stupid that is. How would you feel if Tesco gave you an out of date chicken or a car dealer gave you an out of date MOT on a car ? Quite apart from the possible life altering possibilities, imagine the liability issues for the business if it all goes wrong.

*I wouldnt use out of date flares because I have seen how much damage a faulty one can do to a person.
There are potentially hefty fines in France for carrying out of date flares. No requirement to actually carry flares, but if you do, they must be in date.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bill higham marine, seapro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.