Nice one
Old 14 August 2010, 22:01   #24

Town: isles of scilly
Boat name: Still Miss behavin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250 suzuki
whoops sorry seem to have come out a bit big

The actual hull plate says 225hp but i'm told this was put together to demo the 250, then was used as safety boat as said before..

In the bow section is the anchor locker and contains one 10kg bruce and chain and a 5kg with 3m chain so there is quite a bit of weight up there already.

see what you reckon

pete
Old 14 August 2010, 22:04   #25

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by behavin View Post
whoops sorry seem to have come out a bit big
Don't worry. Gotchiguy's pics are so big they stretch halfway into Ebay.

BTW, she looks ok to me. The bits all look in the right places.
Old 14 August 2010, 22:34   #26

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
It does not look too bad to me, are you sure you dont have a load of water in the hull? otherwise unless you startloosing weight on the transom your best bet will probably be to try some tabs...

I would look at going down the Lenco route and probably some 12"x12" Tabs will be the right size.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2010, 23:04   #27

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I have virtually the same set up with my Ribcraft 6.8 except I have a 225 ETec and a heavier A-frame due to radar and a reflector cage. My boat also feels stern-heavy in rough conditions but rather than go to the hassle of adding trim tabs you could always try a different prop. I have recently changed to a 4-blader and now have more stern lift at speed as well as better acceleration and even a slight improvement in fuel economy. One of the problems with the 6.8 is that it's a wide boat for its length and so will always suffer in rough conditions compared to, say, the Ribcraft 7.8 which maintains the width of the 6.8 but has the extra metre so making it a proportionally narrower boat.
Old 14 August 2010, 23:25   #28

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It does not look too bad to me, are you sure you dont have a load of water in the hull? otherwise unless you startloosing weight on the transom your best bet will probably be to try some tabs...

I would look at going down the Lenco route and probably some 12"x12" Tabs will be the right size.
Looking for water ingress in the hull seems is a good Idea as this might well explain the weight at the stern.

Before you go to the expense of buying trim tabs and props, it might be well worth chucking a few heavy sand bags in to the bow area next time you venture out in to rougher conditions and see how you go. 20kg's of anchor and chain isn't very heavy for a RIB of that size. You really need in excess of 50kg's IMHO and 2 or 3 Wicks sand bags would do the job for a £5er. Don't get quick setting cement though

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2010, 23:28   #29

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by behavin View Post
as you can imagine she is stern heavy and in rough seas will drop back into troughs lifting the bow and on occasions causing quite an uncomfortable ride.

ipete

Is this in following or head Sea's?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2010, 09:08   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Don't worry. Gotchiguy's pics are so big they stretch halfway into Ebay.

But seriously, our boat has trim tabs and we find them a real help, most of the time we have them on with two stages down, (a tiny bit) and into a chop up to say 3ft they are fantastic at smoothing the ride, and keeping the nose in the water. When it get a little rougher though, it becomes a game of balancing this smoothness with how wet you're prepared to get. You get ALOT wetter when the tabs are down, and its just a case of balancing it out. Often we leave them turned off and let the hull do its work.

Another benefit is that you can get on the plane quicker: in a large harbour (of drying moorings) the speed limit is around 10knts, and in the flat calm conditions of a harbour it is possible to use the tabs to get on the plane at around 12 whereas it would usually be around16-18knts.

The final benefit is in a very large head sea, ie swell/waves over ~2m they enable you to hold the nose right down and stop any little jumps at all.
Old 17 August 2010, 17:50   #31
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
My 7.8 is quite stern heavy - what with a Yanmar 315 lump in the back end - and she sits deeper in the water at the stern than yours . Can someone point me in the direction of a good Lenco supplier - the 'distributors' listed on their website aren't very helpful - and only seem to carry limited kits and accessories.

D...
Old 18 August 2010, 04:40   #32

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
My 7.8 is quite stern heavy - what with a Yanmar 315 lump in the back end - and she sits deeper in the water at the stern than yours . Can someone point me in the direction of a good Lenco supplier - the 'distributors' listed on their website aren't very helpful - and only seem to carry limited kits and accessories.

D...
I found the same when looking for mine, I eventually got them from a US seller on ebay called Medetech just PM him on ebay with what kit you want and he will sell direct.

A current item number that links to him is 330460106458.

Good service and quick shipping not sure how the warranty works as I suspect you would have to ship back to Lenco US if you had a failure however worth the risk in my book.

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 15:23   #33
DGR

Thanks Chris - I'll do that.

D...
Old 18 August 2010, 18:05   #34
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Tabs

I have an Humber 8.5m with a Volvo Kad44 and when we got her I had to stand on a beer crate (Grolsh seem to make the sturdiest ) to see when going at displacement speeds , have now fitted Bennet tabs and we can now see where we are going! It also get up on the plane faster and when we have fat friends on board we can trim them out laterally . I try not to carry fat people as it does our street cred no good .
Old 18 August 2010, 19:13   #35

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
I try not to carry fat people as it does our street cred no good .
but if you had ballasted em right, around the boat , might have saved you carrying a beer crate .. or to put it another way .. if they dont lose it .. use it
Old 18 August 2010, 20:07   #36
DGR

I always used to place the heaviest items of self loading cargo towards the front - it made a big difference...
Old 18 August 2010, 22:44   #37

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post

D...
nice boat dgr, i am the scruffy looking midlander who was asking you about storage in the yacht club pound about a week ago, do you know any campsites in your neck of the woods that will let you pitch a tent and park your boat and trailer next to it?
most seem to not want boats on campsites,
Old 19 August 2010, 12:11   #38
DGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
nice boat...
Thank you!! I've spent more time cleaning her this year than actually using it - too much time spent DIYing at home...

On the campsite question - I think that the main reason why they are reluctant to let you keep your boat by the tent is that it will take up room where tents could go!! Your best bet would be to ring round and ask to see what they say - good options would be Hendre Mynach (01341 280 262) which is at the end of the prom, or Caerddaniel/Trawsdir (01341 280 611) which is a bit further out of town, but they are more geared up towards boaters, as they allow beach launching from there. They also have a boat compound where they might let you keep the boat if there's room. Roy (Mr Osprey) runs his boats out of there, and is often seen in the harbour...

Alternatively, give the Harbour Master (01341 280 671) a call - you could put your RIB on a visitors mooring, and the local ferries provide a water taxi between 10am and 5pm ish (sometimes longer hours). If you are already a memebr of a Yacht Club elsewhere - or any other RYA affiliated club (dive club maybe?) then you could keep it in the Yacht Club compound for a fee - but I don't think it's that expensive.

I hope this helps!!

D...
Old 19 August 2010, 18:02   #39
DGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
......I eventually got them from a US seller on ebay called Medetech just PM him on ebay with what kit you want and he will sell direct......
Chris, for some reason e-bay won't let me PM him. I don't suppose you have regular e-mail details for him?!?

D...
Old 19 August 2010, 22:12   #40

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
thanks dgr, it looks like a mooring and leave the trailer at that caravan storage place by hendre mynach, i tried the two sites you said caerdaniel pound is for static owners on site, the other as you said likes to keep space for tents, other option might be to try a bit further inland, less busy sites might be more amenable and more peaceful,
thanks for you help and sorry for the thread diversion, mark.