Click Here to Login

Old 02 September 2008, 16:45   #1

Town: Cheltenham, UK
Boat name: Hatty
Make: Terhi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP outboard
Difficulty 'trimming' the boat!

I have a trim button on my boat to affect the position of the water at speed. Problem is when its just me on board when I speed up at all the nose seems to lift too much. The trim button can tilt the engine either way, but I'm tilting it to the furthers point & still having the nose rise up too much?
Thanks for any tips, Ivan
Old 02 September 2008, 17:20   #2

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan4199 View Post
I have a trim button on my boat to affect the position of the water at speed. Problem is when its just me on board when I speed up at all the nose seems to lift too much. The trim button can tilt the engine either way, but I'm tilting it to the furthers point & still having the nose rise up too much?

Start off by trimming all the way in the down position and next I suggest you get proper trainning on how toopperate your craft.
Old 02 September 2008, 17:49   #3
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
knite to d4 an bishup to g4

garF
Old 02 September 2008, 20:40   #4

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
What are your trying to accomplish by trimming it up???

shift weight forward
trim the motor down
keep the bow in control
Old 03 September 2008, 11:08   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
A lot more detail would be useful - boat make and model, same for the engine and what prop do you have on it - where is the fuel tank and any loose gear?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2008, 13:42   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Ivan,

When you say the nose goes up, is tht just while you are accelerating, or all the time?

- If just while accelerating that's normal. To reduce it, trim the engine right down, then once you're moving, bring it back up a bit. If you are trimmed right down already, look at moving some weight forward or just live with it for the few seconds it happens.

- if it's "permanently" up there - could be down to a couple of things. The first could be an optical illusiion! My humber gives the impression of sitting at a really silly angle and the bow seems to be waaay up in the air compared to my old Searider. Having seen a broadside photo, in reality it looks fine when you're not sat at the wheel. The further back your seat is the more pronounced any "nose lift" will seem.

As said above the weight distribution issue may help as well. e.g If you have bought the boat recently did the previous owner have a 20Kg anchor & 30 yds of chain in the bow locker?

If all of the above don't explain it, post back, your engine may have a "traditional" tilt pin to set the lowest (furthest in) possible trim. My museum piece doesn't have PTT, but I need to set the trim pin at different places for towing, running with & without crew & storage! Again if you have a secondhand boat it may be in some inappropriate place from the previous owner's last movements (e.g to fit a towing supportwhen he / she last towed it home or similar. )
Old 05 September 2008, 12:52   #7

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I had the same problem with my 4m Avon. Even with the engine trimmed all the way down the and with anchor & ballast in the bow she wouldn't balance smoothly and handling was awful.

After taking advice from here I fitted a pair of doel-fins and trim & performance are now great.

As others have said, difficult to fully diagnose without detail of weight distribution etc.... but I've found the fins solved all of my problems.
Old 05 September 2008, 19:34   #8

Town: Cheltenham, UK
Boat name: Hatty
Make: Terhi
Engine: 50 HP outboard
thanks everyone for these helpful comments - passed my PB2 training just today in Bristol
so got some good tips about it there too, thanks again,. Ivan
Old 07 September 2008, 09:33   #9

Town: sandefjord
Boat name: falcon ..
Make: falcon
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Trim Problems

Quote:
hi there i have the solution for you i hope.... you are using the wrong prop for the boat you have... probably to big blade area or a to much bowlifting prop... wahat is the installed height off your engine ???? well give me the details and i will try to help you....