Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 27 February 2016, 22:08   #1
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Diesel Fuel - west coast of Scotland

I'm looking for up to date information on the availability of dockside/nearby/delivered diesel in the triangle from Ardnamurchan - Barra - Pentland Firth (including Orkneys). I'm trolling through the usual sources including on here but the data seems a bit iffy - lot of "maybes" and "was" mentioned! Any hospitable secure corners to overnight/shelter a 10m RIB would be of interest too. Typical refuel can be up to 400L and generally 300L so would prefer not to be d1cking about with 25l drums but needs must were the devil drives...

...and he WILL be driving

Some of the local lads and Round Something teams will have been over most of this ground last season and any details would be very much appreciated.

willk
Old 27 February 2016, 22:54   #2

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
You probably already know but there is diesel in Tobermory, it not a kick in the ar5e from Ardnamurchan
Old 28 February 2016, 00:00   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Get hold of a copy of welcome anchorages or you can download it gives all the marinas and moorings with details of facilities available.
Don't know which way your headed but the cheapest place in the area to fill up is from a tanker on Oban pier a guy just next to the ferry terminal we've used him several times so if your heading up via Oban it's worth filling up before you head out as it gets more expensive.
There are facilities on several of the outer islands via self service pumps but you need to organise a key for access before you go
Old 28 February 2016, 08:07   #4

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Hi Wiilk
The tanker guy on Oban pier is called Tommy its McIntyre fuels tel.01631 562849. Cheep fuel but cash only.he is just past the station
Mike
Old 28 February 2016, 08:45   #5

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
There are a number of places on the east coast of the Outer Hebrides - the Clyde Cruising Club guide to the Outer Hebrides is a good source of information.

From the guide the following places have fuel available by hose (going from Harris and Lewis in the north):

Brevig (Broad Bay)
Stornoway
Carloway
Kirkibost
Miavaig
Scalpay
Stockinish
Leverburgh
Berneray
Griminish
Kallin
Ludag
Eriskay
Vatersay
North Bay, Barra

You need a key card, as beamishken has already mentioned. The phone number is 01870 604991.

All this info is from the CCC guide.

I'm up there at the end of May so I'm hoping for two windless weeks.
Old 28 February 2016, 09:24   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Ah, the benefits of diesel!
You can get diesel in lots of places as GuyC says.
If you think about it, all fishing vessels use diesel and they must be getting it from somewhere.
So you will find it available in nearly all fishing ports-if you ask nicely.
The thing that I do is to ask the Harbour Master in your destination port, politely, over the radio or when you arrive. He will usually arrange it for you, if he has no fill-up point. He will ask what time you are arriving/when do you want it and how much fuel, roughly, do you want. He will then advise payment method.
It has never failed me.
I even arrived at a tiny, tiny fishing dock in Miavaig, North Lewis and the clerk gave me 100 litres which was all he could spare!!

Now petrol, on the other hand......

In the VERY WORST CASE.....if you run out of fuel at sea (and that is really stupid!) you could try and hail a passing fishing boat. You might get short shrift if he is busy, but at least they will drag you "home" at the end of their working day. If you are really lucky they sometimes carry a spare 50 gallon drum on deck from which they will give you some. Don't expect to pay port rates though!

To expand slightly on GuyC's list:
Kyle of Lochalsh (end of NATO pier)
Stromness (by road tanker)
Kirkwall
Pierowall, Westray

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2016, 10:04   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Thanks for replies - both posted and PMed (for future record, info in the PM was to seek out the fishermen's supply)

I had been hoping to avoid having to apply for a Council fuel key/card for the Eilean Siar but if it has to be done, best t'were done in time.

Random thoughts to points in your replies above:
I'm reasonably familiar with the area south of Ardnamurchan, including the Inner Hebrides but still good to get contacts and ideas. I have fond (not) memories of handballing petrol drums on Jura and Islay. I've topped off petrol reserves in Tobermory previously too. I don't begrudge an alongside supplier a whean* of extra pounds for the convenience.
Fishing boats here are all supplied by roadtanker. We're an inbetween size - too big for cans but a bit mickey mouse for a tanker call out. Upside is our range is good so I hope to do a bit of topping off wherever I can get easy access to fuel.

Another question occurs - what's the situation on the ground as regards diesel types/rebates etc.? (I've not bought boat diesel in the UK before)
We have a cabin (which might contain a heater ). The boat is obviously on a pleasure trip. Someone might talk me through the purchase procedure - by PM is there's any hooky advice going...

GuyC - end of May? Yeah, that's the time for the Isles, that and up to the solstice. Keep a weather eye out for a couple of Irish lads flying a RIBnet burgee.

* an amount slightly smaller than a "lock"
Old 28 February 2016, 10:06   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Oh, and Thurso (Scabster).
Phone the number on the wall of the harbour as you go in.
Don't forget to radio the HM before you go in as he gets rather short if you don't.

Seem to remember paying 11.5 p per litre first time I went in there.
It's changed a bit now though!

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2016, 14:13   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Another question occurs - what's the situation on the ground as regards diesel types/rebates etc.? (I've not bought boat diesel in the UK before)
We have a cabin (which might contain a heater ). The boat is obviously on a pleasure trip. Someone might talk me through the purchase procedure - by PM is there's any hooky advice going...

When you buy diesel for recreational use in a boat you declare the split for propulsion (full duty) and other use. HMRC have said that there is no requirement for record keeping providing that you declare no more than 40% for non-propulsion use. You'll need to fill out a simple form when you buy fuel, and declare a 60/40 split.

http://www.tyha.co.uk/Downloads/BMF_...el_Jan2011.pdf
Old 28 February 2016, 14:16   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Seem to remember paying 11.5 p per litre first time I went in there.

It's changed a bit now though!
I remember paying that in Scrabster on the round Britain jaunt in 1999, and being outraged a couple of days earlier to be charged the extortionate amount of 35p a litre in Falmouth!
Old 28 February 2016, 14:29   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
HMRC have said that there is no requirement for record keeping providing that you declare no more than 40% for non-propulsion use.
Thanks Boss. It's generally very cold up there at night!
Old 28 February 2016, 20:04   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks Boss. It's generally very cold up there at night!
Yes very cold willk and the heaters on the blink using three time more fuel than it should
Old 28 February 2016, 20:12   #13

i bet that 60/40 split form is VERY popular
Old 28 February 2016, 21:24   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If you set up an account with Eilean Siar you'll get an electronic key and you're allocated a number. The account is normally a direct debit for payment and you'll need to declare whether you're private or commercial so you can't work the 60/40 split. The benefit is that you'll be sure of fuel for the length of the Hebrides and if you fill up at the top end you'll be all set for a fair distance afterwards. Also, where you have fuel you will have shelter so leaving the boat for a night over BnB shouldn't be a problem. Loch maddy has nice new pontoons and a hotel with a restaurant and a gimongous selection of malts....

Can't help around the top until you're down to the Moray Firth on the east side.
Old 29 February 2016, 00:37   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Cheers Mr Walker - the low down/go to as usual. Don't figure on running down the east coast, unless we take a mad notion for Chinese food in Inverness....

...that said, I like Inverness.
Old 29 February 2016, 10:50   #16

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
...that said, I like Inverness.
Well, you could do worse than spending a few days chilling in the gorgeous Caledonian canal doing a homeward leg....I always hate just going back the same way I came.
Old 29 February 2016, 16:30   #17

Town: Isle of Tiree
Boat name: AURORA
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 150s
If it's any help You can get diesel from Tiree pier the garage is right next to the calmac Gottbay pier , would need flasks but if you let me know I could give u a lift with my pickup ,
Old 29 February 2016, 17:45   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraztiree View Post
If it's any help You can get diesel from Tiree pier the garage is right next to the calmac Gottbay pier , would need flasks but if you let me know I could give u a lift with my pickup ,
Hmmm. Interesting Fraztiree. We might be swinging by Tiree anyways, as donegaldan has distant relations there. He collects relations.

I always meant to ask you what the alongside situation is on Tiree - is there anywhere for a RIB to safely tie up - are there visitor moorings?

I'm gonna dieve yer heid with questions
Old 29 February 2016, 18:41   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraztiree View Post
Fraztiree, last time I was there it looked like there was maybe diesel alongside at Milton? Or is that a private supply? Would save lugging cans down the pier.
Old 01 March 2016, 05:59   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Get hold of a copy of welcome anchorages or you can download it gives all the marinas and moorings with details of facilities available.

👍 they were dishing them out at Seaworks, I picked up a copy, loads of useful info for "foreign visitors"😄
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote