Old 20 January 2007, 04:21   #31
Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Quick question on Zodiacs...

How easy/difficult is it to repair this "Strongan Duotex" fabric they are built of in the event of a minor repair being required? The tubes themselves are heat welded but I assume if you pop a wee hole in it you just glue it?

Zodiac owners - any comments from personal experience please?

I still prefer the Ospreys in other respects but the ability to change out a set of tubes easily if the worst comes to the worst is sooo appealing after my recent "experiences".
These are pictures from my zodiac SIB. The plastic on transom moulding has cracked and proceeds to get worse. This has happened twice now on two new boats.

Hope this helps you in you desicion over zodiacs.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	133_3400.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	24378   Click image for larger version

Name:	134_3404.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	24379  

J S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2007, 09:23   #32
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Zodiacs boats have 2 main quality levels. The boats within their 'Mil-Pro' line up are very well constructed and pricey. This would include both some RIBs (Hurricanes, SRMNs & SROs) and SIBS (Futura Commandos, Heavy Dutys & Grand Raids).

Everything else they build falls within their leisure market and tends to get mixed reviews. I have seen a Zodiac with PVC tubes where parts of the tube had become completely rigid and brittle. If you tried to bend it it would simply crack.

Having said that, their is also a wide range of hypalon quality levels. Pennell Orca is one of the premier brands of hypalon fabric, and they have different levels of fabric weight and strength within this brand;

Note that within the above chart that their are different grades of so-called '1100 dtx' hypalon, so it is important to be very specific about fabrics when ordering an inflatable boat or tubeset.

prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2008, 20:45   #33
Town: Deventer
Make: Zodiac pro 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90hp 1992
I find a zodiac rib without tubes (530 pro 95')
Asked zodiac for a tube and got a red one. Price was then 1700,-(2006)
I then put it on the boat in +/_30 min with out any experience and utile now there is no color change (Zodiac guarantied it)
For me it works great but need a set extra hands. (wife)

Bertus is offline   Reply With Quote