Old 05 October 2003, 16:53   #21

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
thanks for the replies lads (n lassies?). cheaper than therapy or prozac. edwardh i read that relocated celts are suffering high rates of skin cancer out in oz. if you're one of them, keep your cork float hat on :-). BTW the great thing about baseball caps is they float, i notice. with no need of a cork fringe.
interesting point hauser about the cold making the brain develop. i remember auberon waugh rip writing that the aboriginal people of australia had inhabited the continent for tens of thousands of years and had nothing to show for it apart from some places which they reckon were good for dreaming.
but then again if the coldies are so brainy why do they live in gloomy miserable places? No wonder they (we?) invent things.
have you noticed that the coldies and wetties (ireland through scotland to siberia) prefer spirits to beer or wine? i reckon it's the long cold wet winters. bloody english shifted us west. where's that bottle? i feel a song coming on.
Old 05 October 2003, 17:40   #22

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Sea Dachshound
Make: ..shopping for a RIB
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90 4-stroke
MMSI: 265585460
Energy and darkness

Indeed,

We call it the vodka-belt up here..,-)
Hard spirits and many dark long nights to invent things as well as write drama and prepare the boat for that inevitable summer that will come...but would not be what it is unless it was eclipsed by the long hard winters...
It certainly keeps you going..;-)
..and just to stay on the peaceful path..
I obviously don't mean people are more or less intelligent in warmer or cooler climates..I just mean you have to try harder in the dark..,-)
(as the actress said to the bishop..)
..and it gives you that vodka-belt-edge..
Old 08 October 2003, 00:22   #23

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
LOL - They're not MY Wallabies Charles...

I shall take great delight in England AND Ireland beating all the Southern Hemisphere pretenders this year... ;-)

I am a relocated half-celt so I'll fly the flag for all of you down here this year (whilst wearing the floppy hat and factor 40 religiously... ;-)

TBH, I miss a bit of cold weather boating so houser - I know what you mean about the vodka belt edge... There's nothing better than a dip in frigid waters...

Old 08 October 2003, 11:14   #24

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi folks

John count me in if its North Wales.

As long as the weather is OK for the crossing ( I will have kids with me) I will be their.

Regards Gary