Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 09 June 2018, 16:33   #1

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
Denmary, Norway, Sweden....anyone?

It seemed a good idea in the pub nine months ago so the missus and I are towing the rib (5.5 delta) from Rotterdam to the above. Our lad lives in Stockholm so thats on our list. anyone out there who can give me any advice (i.e. your mad!) to where to go, see, avoid, who to track down ,contacts , costs, paperwork, Anything just to get me started on my planning! Ta Nik
Old 09 June 2018, 21:40   #2

Town: Oslo
Boat name: Seatrout express
Make: Zodiac Milpro
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 40
It is still a good idea! Just do it. It will give the best summer ever.
Stockholm is super nice. North of Denmark too. With a fast rib you can go from north Denmark to Norway (Arendal) in two hours. The «man test» in Arendal is to waterski to Denmark. That is mad!

In Norway you have the Oslofjord. Be sure to visit «Gressholmen». Its a small island with a cosy pub.

For safty become a member of «redningsskøyta». They will help you out.
https://www.redningsselskapet.no

Cheers
Old 12 June 2018, 10:00   #3

soz for late reply Brage, just back from quick holiday! I can't see the wife liking 2/3 hours from Denmark. We were keen to go up a fjord, maybe 40kms long. With a town at the far end and stay overnight. any thoughts?? Do you guys use paper charts or chart plotter. I have chart plotter charts for British isles but not for Scandanavia. We have about 140km daily range. any suggestions? Ta Nik
Old 12 June 2018, 11:11   #4

No worries.

The most famous norwegian fjord is the «Sognefjorden». It’s 5 hours drive from Oslo.

In Sognefjorden you can park your car and trailer at Lærdal. The use your rib and go to Flom. In Flom you can book a room (plenty of different choises) and then take the train up to the mountains. It’s spectaculare.
https://www.visitflam.com/se-og-gjor...ter/flamsbana/

If visit Sognefjorden and keep your rib in the Inner part of the fjord, theres no safty consernes. Paper charts will be fine. However, if you go all the 160 km to the end of the fjord, to the open sea, it’s different. The open sea at the west cost can be brutal. You should take every safty consern you can.

Hers a map with all the ports. You can zoom inn and out. The makers are placed at Lærdal and Flom.

https://kart.gulesider.no/m/B6nBy

Cheers
Old 16 July 2018, 17:00   #5

Thanks for those tips. Probably heading for Kristiansond(?) to Bergen and then east to fyords.I'm getting a bit excited as I don't know what to expect!. ill keep you posted. Nik
Old 16 July 2018, 17:04   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by matata View Post
Thanks for those tips. Probably heading for Kristiansond(?) to Bergen and then east to fyords.I'm getting a bit excited as I don't know what to expect!. ill keep you posted. Nik
Sounds Great!..enjoy.
Somewhere I'd love to get too with the RIB in the future
Please post some pics!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2018, 12:32   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Matata, how did you get on with this? I am towing my 4m Avon to Stockholm later this month. Spending three weeks in the archipelago which we know pretty well. After that fancy exploring the Fjords before heading home - have never been to Norway.
Old 04 September 2018, 20:02   #8

Hi Tim, had an insane trip. Still on my way home so hadn't got my act together to post a few thoughts and photos.Brage on the forum suggested Leardal to Flam. There are no slips in Flam but if you head out the main road towards Leardal about 5 miles there is a brilliant little harbour and slip. Free. A power company made the facilities so they could service a hydro power station. Within 50 feet of the waters edge your in 50 meters of water!!. we did about 70 miles that day, exploring parts of fyords. The weather was very kind to us. It is surprisingly difficult to find a slip.
But get this! drove down to Oslo, got chatting to a local RNLI guy who suggested a slip at the end of the city. Went there, got chatting to a guy in the main office. He handed me the keys to the slip for the main marina slip. I explained I was going for an evening cruise. don't worry drop them in tomorrow!!!Then he said to me do you know where your going. nope! So he gave me a garmin chip for my plotter and said leave that in tomorrow also!!! My lad lives in Stockholm. Milions and millions of boats/marinas fuel stations out on the islands. The first island we came to had its own brewery/fuel jetty and posh restaurant. You probably know all this. We went to Vauxholm the first day and then out to Sandham. Brill marina. You would get lost without a plotter. I bought two excellent charts of the area. With out these you could easily get lost. hope this helps. Ask me more no probs. Im driving all day tomorrow and thursday so bear with me...Nik
Old 04 September 2018, 20:25   #9

Hi Nik. Thanks for the reply. Sounds amazing! Just been googling Flam and it looks like a spectacular spot. Will have to research some more.

The in laws have a place out in the archipelago - I know Vauxholm and Sandham well. Should be pretty chilly come late September but hopefully some crisp sunny boating to be had. Would love to see some photos of the the fjords when you get a chance.
Old 05 September 2018, 08:18   #10

Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
"But get this! drove down to Oslo, got chatting to a local RNLI guy who suggested a slip at the end of the city. Went there, got chatting to a guy in the main office. He handed me the keys to the slip for the main marina slip. I explained I was going for an evening cruise. don't worry drop them in tomorrow!!!Then he said to me do you know where your going. nope! So he gave me a garmin chip for my plotter and said leave that in tomorrow also!!! "

That is awesome

Cant wait to see your photos & read your report of this Trip
Old 05 September 2018, 18:50   #11

Sounds like a nice summer!

Regarding slips, there are plenty. Use https://kart.gulesider.no or https://kart.finn.no to find one. Click on satellite photo.

Cheers
Old 05 September 2018, 20:49   #12

Hi Tim, I've got two very nice/detailed paper charts of the archipelago. I enjoy planning the trip in the pub first. Your very welcome to a loan of them before you go but i need them back. I don't mind if they're a bit used. Have you got a launching jetty organised for Stockholm.? I reckon you know the area better than me. I know a good boat yard there for you trailer etc.
Don't rule out Oslo. very like the Stockholm Archipelago. Had my channel 16 on, then I heard a very clear message that sounded important. I stopped and looked around to watch a Cessna sea plane take off just past me. We are talking zero acceleration. Must have taken him two miles to get up!
Norwegain fyords speak for themselves. The mountains are vast. You won't get lost but I could imagine a severe wind barreling down the valleys so bring spare kit. Flam is a real tourist honey pot. We cycled to the top of the famous rail line. That took some doing! There are very few pubs.
We have four 25 litre tanks on board which are easily carried to local petrol stations. It is not like Stockholm in that sense. Boats are more a tool or transport rather than leisure. Nik
Old 26 September 2018, 08:27   #13

Well, we’ve made it to Sweden (near Stockholm). Straight forward enough journey: UK to Paris (room got broken into in Paris so we only stayed one night - in hindsight would have missed this leg out), Paris to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Hamburg, Hamburg to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to Stockholm. Tolls and ferries added up to around £350 (2x ferries + tolls). You could do the journey in less time if you wanted to hit it hard but I didn’t fancy driving more than a few hours each day, plus this itinerary allowed a bit of time to explore some new cities. Last day was a bit of a trek - 450 miles at 50mph (speed limit in Sweden). Anyway, worth the effort. Weather today is 25 knot winds and driving rain. Still couldn’t resist a bit of morning RIBBing!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9750.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	127013
Old 26 September 2018, 16:11   #14

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred. View Post
"But get this! drove down to Oslo, got chatting to a local RNLI guy who suggested a slip at the end of the city. Went there, got chatting to a guy in the main office. He handed me the keys to the slip for the main marina slip. I explained I was going for an evening cruise. don't worry drop them in tomorrow!!!Then he said to me do you know where your going. nope! So he gave me a garmin chip for my plotter and said leave that in tomorrow also!!! "

That is awesome

Cant wait to see your photos & read your report of this Trip
Ive spent a lot of time in those countries, super nice people and super friendly, keep posting pics.
Old 26 September 2018, 16:53   #15

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Finland at its archipelago is also fantastic if you ever venture that way is is Aland the group of Islands between Finland and Sweden - brilliant fun when some Finnish friends took me sailing there years ago and pop back every year for midsummer
Old 27 September 2018, 08:53   #16

Tim, I presume you've been to the very small island about three miles off stockholm. It has a lovely marina with fuel facilities, credit card only, with also a great little brewery and restaurant. good spot. We then went to Vauxholm, nice town ,good marina and fuel about 10 miles,,well buoyed, stayed there and out to Sandham, 35 nm further out.Excellent marina but not many pubs. Def need chart plotter or good charts. Very little swell as so many islands. My lad lives in stockholm so if i can help give me a shout.He organised an excellent boat yard and slip for us in stockholm . Nik