Old 13 July 2005, 02:17   #1

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Demo

Hey im going for a demo on a 5.85 RIBCRAFT tomorrow and since im new to RIBS i was just wondering, What should i look for in the boat? Should i try to find the biggest wave and go off it or will the salesman get mad? heh. Any help would be great
Old 13 July 2005, 04:41   #2

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I'd offer to join you to "help", if I weren't going to be goofing off (again ) tomorrow afternoon to go sailing in Marblehead. If you're out after 4:30-5:00 look for a 23' Sonar (sail logo is red horizontal stripes) with sail # 725. I'll be the guy on the boat Should be right outside the harbor. There's an outside chance I may be in my Searider, as a tow vessel for the Sonar.

Not that I know much of anything about buying a new rib, or any new boat for that matter!!
Old 13 July 2005, 13:05   #3

If im still out at that time ill look for you heh
Old 13 July 2005, 13:16   #4

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Look at the quality of the fittings and electrics ( fuses / cable runs / screw heads stickng out etc etc )

I'm sure the salesman knows how to make the boat handle well to make you think its the best boat in the world.

Mark
Old 13 July 2005, 20:49   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
see a wave GO FOR IT , if the boat breaks dont buy it
SIMPLE AS THAT
Old 13 July 2005, 20:59   #6

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker
look for a 23' Sonar (sail logo is red horizontal stripes) with sail # 725. I'll be the guy on the boat Should be right outside the harbor. There's an outside chance I may be in my Searider, as a tow vessel for the Sonar
I love those Sonar Keel boats couple of my mates won a Gold Medal sailing in one of those at the last US Disabled Olympics . I used to race on them on a regular basis sailed round the Island once with a blind mate and a paraplegic force 7 went like a rocket did it 8 hours 55 mins well chuffed with that result 5th in our class .
Old 13 July 2005, 20:59   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah
see a wave GO FOR IT , if the boat breaks dont buy it
SIMPLE AS THAT
Great quote Hannah - maybe i should get you to test my new boat before it is finally handed over!!!!
Old 13 July 2005, 21:04   #8

The demo was AWESOME lol i test drove a smaller version but i found some nice swells and flew off them. I loveee the boat hah. I think the salesman was a little scared because i was taking it off huge waves then turning around and seeing how it did down wind heh.
Old 13 July 2005, 21:46   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
so you took Hannah's advice?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2005, 01:54   #10

yeppp haha
Old 14 July 2005, 15:10   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
thats good , im going , on holiday soon , i just cant wait to get back , so we can get back to wave jumping !!
Old 14 July 2005, 16:24   #12

one question lol when the prop is out of the water should i ease back on the thrtotle so the impeller doesnt burn or can i just keep goin?
Old 14 July 2005, 19:36   #13

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Burn Baby burn!!!! Especially if its not yours .

I always throttle back if I'm about to get airborne but I don't think it'll hurt the impeller in either case. Its so brief.
boatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2005, 21:01   #14

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
I love those Sonar Keel boats couple of my mates won a Gold Medal sailing in one of those at the last US Disabled Olympics . I used to race on them on a regular basis sailed round the Island once with a blind mate and a paraplegic force 7 went like a rocket did it 8 hours 55 mins well chuffed with that result 5th in our class .
My wife is the first woman on the US Disabled Sailing Team. Her team was trying to be the US Paralympic Sonar team in Athens last year. We were in Cowes in 2003 racing against Andy Cassell, who I suspect may be the mate you mentioned. As I recall, he was the 2000 Paralympic Sonar gold medalist. Maureen's team finished a very close second to Andy in the UK 2 Sail National Championships when the wind went calm in the last race, and Andy's experience in the local currents won the race.

By any chance was the paraplegic Andrew Millband? He's another disabled IOW sailor who was unbelievably kind to us on that trip. He opened his home to us when our carefully arranged lodging proved unmanageable for the wheelchair users.

That was the trip that really opened my eyes to the world of ribbing. The sheer quantity and variety of ribs on the Solent was amazing to me. Nothing like it in the USA.

We'd love to go back a race on the Solent again. We had a wonderful time, and nearly everyone we came in contact with was incredibly kind and helpful. It was a tremendous experience. There are/were (?) a number of Sonar events in Cowes this summer. Fortunately we're expecting a child, which unfortunately meant no big travel regattas for Maureen this year.

Our journals from that trip are here: http://teamodyssey.org/2003_uk_2sail.htm
Old 14 July 2005, 21:09   #15

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker

By any chance was the paraplegic Andrew Millband? He's another disabled IOW sailor who was unbelievably kind to us on that trip. He opened his home to us when our carefully arranged lodging proved unmanageable for the wheelchair users.

That was the trip that really opened my eyes to the world of ribbing. The sheer quantity and variety of ribs on the Solent was amazing to me. Nothing like it in the USA.

We'd love to go back a race on the Solent again. We had a wonderful time, and nearly everyone we came in contact with was incredibly kind and helpful. It was a tremendous experience. There are/were (?) a number of Sonar events in Cowes this summer. Fortunately we're expecting a child, which unfortunately meant no big travel regattas for Maureen this year.

Our journals from that trip are here: http://teamodyssey.org/2003_uk_2sail.htm
Hi Andy was not the one i was racing with have crewed for him in the past on many occasions, and is a very good mate of mine he did Australalian Olympics with Andy Cassel . If you get back over this way drop me a line if i am not busy i will take you out so we can cheer on the teams . Congrats on the nipper as well.