Old 03 April 2016, 19:06   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Delicate situation, appropriate apparel for the larger lady

Ok so here goes, i would really like my other half to come out on the water with me.

realistically this means a wetsuit......

(dry suit no good as she hates things tight round her neck)

Ideally a long john type (she has had wetsuits before but never got on with them) due to them constricting her shoulders and arms.

Now for the delicate bit,she is a big girl,and for some reason manufacturers assume she doesn't want to do any water based activities... otherwise they would make wet suits in more than a size 16/18 (some stop at 12) we need size 22 uk ish

Now as this is one the busier water sports forums i am hoping there might be a bit of knowledge in the area (PM me if you wish) of suit that fit the larger lady.

All i can find so far is a custom suit which at £160-£200 is quite an investment if she doesn't enjoy it (I hope she does). or one or 2 not quite big enough wetsuits.

Drysuit would have been ideal but compromise is a wet suit and Cag

I have found Jobe to Impact and buoyancy aids for women up to 2XL (euro 44 or UK16!) and Jobe do the Ruthless suit to 2Xl which is the best i have found (right style) or the Venice but i don't think it will be big enough unless someone knows different?

Found Custom made to measure suits from "no-limit" "snugg" and another who i will be speaking to next week.
Old 03 April 2016, 19:20   #2

Length: 3m +
First question is - is a wetsuit the right bit of kit. Wet suits only really keep you warm if you are wet. What sort of RIBbing are you doing? If this is simply going for a spin will she get wet enough? Or would she be better off with Oilies, and maybe some launching trousers...?

If a wetsuit is the plan - May be worth a chat to the guys at trident (tridentuk.com) they make suits in the UK and can certainly 'customise' their drysuits for very little extra fee.
Old 03 April 2016, 19:50   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Just bought the wife one of these - Safequip Flood Suit - Safequip

It allows for wetness up to the waist which is more than enough. We also bought a Gul long john last year for inwater fun which fits well.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2016, 19:56   #4

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Does it definitely need to be a wet suit? We used dry suits for years which cut circulation for my wife. Eventually bought musto suits, Revolution for her, warm dry and happy

Sent from my iPad using my finger
Old 03 April 2016, 20:07   #5

She isn't keen on the idea of a dry suit and the neck seal, not keen on wetsuit neck seal hence the long john type. with a Cagon topto combat wind chill or a neoprene coat/hoody.

As the vehicle of most frequent use is not technically a RIB, getting wet enough should not be a problem.

https://www.jobesports.com/ruthless-...men-303815001/ would be ideal if available in an appropriate size.

Treerat the flood suit looks interesting but would it be dangerous in an over board situation (more than likely in the possible usage cases)

A BA is the next issue the auto inflate would be no good a foam rather than inflatable probably better.
Old 03 April 2016, 20:39   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
HDAV, might be worth looking at flotation suits. There are some relatively low cost options targeted at fishermen, who are not known for being particularly skinny. I'm not sure if there are female specific shapes available, but it could be an option, and it's a bit more acceptable for wearing to the pub.
Old 03 April 2016, 21:06   #7

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Engine: Evinrude
You can get dry suits with a wet suit type neck seal which is not tight around the neck (that's what I have). Speak to Robin hood Watersports about the seal.

Good luck
Old 03 April 2016, 21:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
You can get dry suits with a wet suit type neck seal which is not tight around the neck (that's what I have). Speak to Robin hood Watersports about the seal.

Good luck
Was just typing exact same! Neoprene neck seal rather than latex?
Old 03 April 2016, 21:10   #9

Thanks for the ideasi have found a suit which should be the right sort of size if not the right style LADIES NEPTUNE NEOPRENE FULL WETSUIT CANOE KAYAK SURF JETSKI SURFING SWIM DIVE | eBay

SO they are out there somewhere, why is the assumption only people who look like surfers should be able to go in the water?
Old 03 April 2016, 21:12   #10

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Not sure why you're going down the wetsuit/drysuit route, unless you're planning on throwing her in.

A decent Musto/Henri Lloyd type jacket/trouser combo should more than suffice and would be far more flattering.
Old 03 April 2016, 21:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Not sure why you're going down the wetsuit/drysuit route, unless you're planning on throwing her in.

A decent Musto/Henri Lloyd type jacket/trouser combo should more than suffice and would be far more flattering.

The craft is a somewhat wet ride and prone to capsizing and general unstableness one way or another your likely going in the water
Old 04 April 2016, 07:38   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

The craft is a somewhat wet ride and prone to capsizing and general unstableness one way or another your likely going in the water
OK, how about a shorty wetsuit (much easier to get on and possibly more flattering) and a dinghy splash top that doesn't have the neoprene neck collar?

Lomo wetsuits build to size, I think.
Old 04 April 2016, 08:46   #13
keg

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Searider SR4
Make: Avon
Engine: 55HP
Hi HDAV, have you been on our "other" forum recently? :-)

It looks like you've solved this one but my wife is a "well upholstered" girl and has had no problem sourcing one on either ebay or other online sites. She has gone for the cag top solution as well, just helps keeps the wind off.
Old 04 April 2016, 11:23   #14

Keg is there a brand you can recommend? Long legs and no arms are the ideal + cage and BA.

Mollers I'll look up lomo thanks
Old 04 April 2016, 16:00   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Wet suit outlet reasonable prices
Old 04 April 2016, 16:09   #16
keg

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Searider SR4
Make: Avon
Engine: 55HP
I'll get the mrs to send me a link to the company she used as soon as she gets home from work.
Old 04 April 2016, 16:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Wet suit outlet reasonable prices
I got my current suit from them great service but limited sizes might get lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg View Post
I'll get the mrs to send me a link to the company she used as soon as she gets home from work.
Cheers!
Old 04 April 2016, 20:08   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
You might find that neoprene trousers or dry trousers in men's XL or XXL might be a better bet, worn with a cag.

Wetsuit Outlet are excellent with returns, and their website shows which sizes they have in stock. The cost of posting stuff back is probably less than traipsing round shops looking for something suitable, so it's definitely worth trying a couple of different options.
Old 04 April 2016, 20:27   #19

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> neoprene trousers.... worn with a cag.... Wetsuit Outlet are excellent with returns, and their website shows which sizes they have in stock. The cost of posting stuff back is probably less than traipsing round shops looking for something suitable...

Agree. Out of choice rather than size I wear wetsuit trousers, beach type trainers and a waterproof jacket for Sibbing.

Wetsuit outfit were very efficient with sending a second larger trouser pair and refunding the returned ones as I upsized to avoid permananet numbness!
Old 04 April 2016, 20:28   #20

I think i might mail them and see what they can suggest. I have turned up a few more options.

For anyone else looking:
UP to size UK20 TWF XT3 FULL SUIT (few models)
Up to size UK22 Storm 3/2mm Women's Scuba Diving Fullsuit Wetsuit - Size 20 | eBay
Up to size UK22 Lavacore Women's Full Suit Size 20 - for Scuba , Snorkeling, and Water Sports | eBay