Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I think i might mail them and see what they can suggest. I have turned up a few more options.

For anyone else looking:
UP to size UK20 TWF XT3 FULL SUIT (few models)
Up to size UK22 Storm 3/2mm Women's Scuba Diving Fullsuit Wetsuit - Size 20 | eBay
Up to size UK22 Lavacore Women's Full Suit Size 20 - for Scuba , Snorkeling, and Water Sports | eBay
if your buying a wet suit [3mm] just remember wind chill after she gets wet lavacore suit at around £150 against a surface dry suit say crewsaver £225.
i got my wife a typhoon dry suit with plenty of layers underneath warm as toast.
Old 05 April 2016, 06:52   #22

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
if your buying a wet suit [3mm] just remember wind chill after she gets wet lavacore suit at around £150 against a surface dry suit say crewsaver £225.
i got my wife a typhoon dry suit with plenty of layers underneath warm as toast.
Neck seal is the issue with a dry suit as that was my first suggestion

Still don't quite understand how exactly the lava core suit works.
Old 05 April 2016, 07:11   #23

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Neck seal is the issue with a dry suit as that was my first suggestion

Still don't quite understand how exactly the lava core suit works.
you can buy neck rings if the seal is an issue 2 mm neoprene seals are more comfy than latex get the seal cut to a comfy size and invert seal inwards plenty of talc to stop chafing.
you can buy semi dry wet suits too they have seals to stop water flushing keeping a layer of water next to the skin for longer.
but as with all suits wind chill can ruin the day sailing suits might produce something to suit her.but if your going to get wet all day dry suit for me IMO.
KAYAK sites might have something too.
lavacore is just a bratherble fabric they are making drysuits out of the same type of material now days but you still have to control water ingress and flushing which each time takes warmth away from the body if not controled by seals.
cheers
Old 05 April 2016, 08:00   #24

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Neoprene neck seals are quite comfy ,,,, and Otter do silicon ones which are supposed to be very comfy ,,,, may be a bit pricey for a surface drysuit though - worth asking JJ up there what he can do for a cheaper suit.
http://www.drysuits.co.uk
IMHO your other half won't thank you for a wetsuit after her first cold wet trip out ;-)
Old 05 April 2016, 10:58   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
My missus has a typhoon surface dry suit with neoprene neck seal, warm, dry & comfy even after 12hrs.

Sh1t happens
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2016, 11:21   #26

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
My missus has a typhoon surface dry suit with neoprene neck seal, warm, dry & comfy even after 12hrs.

Sh1t happens
same here if shes happy you are
Old 05 April 2016, 14:08   #27

A couple of thoughts from me

1) Flood suits are very good, but not breathable, I'm a flood rescue technician and whilst they're ideal for low level wading they do get clammy quickly.

2) A wet wetsuit gets bloody cold when the wind runs across it, they're ideal for surfing, diving etc where you're constantly in the water but not ideal for boat use.
Old 05 April 2016, 16:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmullen View Post
A couple of thoughts from me

1) Flood suits are very good, but not breathable, I'm a flood rescue technician and whilst they're ideal for low level wading they do get clammy quickly.

2) A wet wetsuit gets bloody cold when the wind runs across it, they're ideal for surfing, diving etc where you're constantly in the water but not ideal for boat use.
Thanks for the input, the Cag over the top should limit wind chill and BA will add a layer of insulation. lower half will probably be quite wet, but i did suggest a drysuit first of all, I have uncovered a few more options as well so no its probably time to order a few and try them.

Keg can you ask Mrs Keg for her recommendation when you get chance
Old 05 April 2016, 21:59   #29

Rightly or wrongly order has been placed..............

RYA course to be booked for May i hope

Just need to sort a CAG and BA now.......Recomendations appreciated
Old 06 April 2016, 01:24   #30

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Over here Australia women of all shapes and sizes use wetsuits, farmer Jon style two piece are my favourite.

The rubber they are made from makes a huge difference to the comfort of the suit and thicker doesn't mean warmer, it often means almost impossible to get on and off.

I bought my wife and eldest daughter cressi 7.5 mm which are very hard to get into and pretty hard to move in once they are on. These suits are for our winter where the sea temp drops to 13'c. Unfortunately they were put off by all the effort getting in and out of the suits so soon gave up on the whole idea.

Since then we have all moved over to open sell Yamamoto rubber suits, this rubber is about as good as it gets for stretch and comfort. The suits need lubricant inside to slip on, which is extremely easy and almost feels like you are naked they are so comfortable. The fact these suits stretch so well almost no water penetrates them meaning they slip off easy due to the lubricant and a 3mm suit actually keeps us warmer for longer than the 7.5 cressi and mares suits we own. We buy our suits direct from Mako Wetsuits-Hoods-Gloves-Socks

By the way is she intending getting in and out of the boat to dive or snorkel ? as this can be quite a challenge for the less fit.
Old 06 April 2016, 10:23   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Over here Australia women of all shapes and sizes use wetsuits, farmer Jon style two piece are my favourite.

The rubber they are made from makes a huge difference to the comfort of the suit and thicker doesn't mean warmer, it often means almost impossible to get on and off.

I bought my wife and eldest daughter cressi 7.5 mm which are very hard to get into and pretty hard to move in once they are on. These suits are for our winter where the sea temp drops to 13'c. Unfortunately they were put off by all the effort getting in and out of the suits so soon gave up on the whole idea.

Since then we have all moved over to open sell Yamamoto rubber suits, this rubber is about as good as it gets for stretch and comfort. The suits need lubricant inside to slip on, which is extremely easy and almost feels like you are naked they are so comfortable. The fact these suits stretch so well almost no water penetrates them meaning they slip off easy due to the lubricant and a 3mm suit actually keeps us warmer for longer than the 7.5 cressi and mares suits we own. We buy our suits direct from Mako Wetsuits-Hoods-Gloves-Socks

By the way is she intending getting in and out of the boat to dive or snorkel ? as this can be quite a challenge for the less fit.
Sea temp of 13C is summer temp here! (well around there and 9C at moment ish)

The 2 piece suits are rare here, only seem to come as thick 7mm diving suits, which as your experience suggest are probably counter productive. Although they are ideal and what we are looking for. Mako don't go large enough (least not the ones i looked at)

Hoping the Lavacore will be warm enough with a cag/hoody on top.