Old 11 September 2011, 21:39   #41

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
The Vipermax is also available in 5.5m length, which the OP has stated in the criteria. The 5.5 is rated to 135hp max.
Old 11 September 2011, 21:55   #42

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Nice use of a simlie
U taught me everything I know about them. Especially from my iPhone in the west of scot!!

If u check all my posts I use that one
B
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 21:09   #43

Town: Argyll
Make: Tornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzi View Post
Just to sidestep a little , on the original post there was a list of possible makes , , What material do you want it made from , beaing in mind Divers do carry things like knives and buckles so does the material have a deciding factor ? , Hypalon , Pvc OR PU. and do all the makes offer a choice?

After Repairing Both in the past , I personally would opt for Hypalon Everytime.
it is a little bit of a sidestep from the original topic - the material not really affecting handling in rough seas (until I stand corrected) but still interesting to see if people can add it to their recommendations, and perhaps saved for a different thread. (in fact, I see a new thread today about Tornado in PU or Hypalon - XS ribs make both for the same cost apparently)

PU advertises itself as more hard wearing, so less likely to fade and scratch in the first place with all those tanks/portholes being dragged over the side by the diving crowd, but much more difficult to repair (especially welded PU seams if I read correctly). I'd rather do my own repairs, so Hypalon wins for me, especially on a 2nd hand boat that doesn't justify re-tubing just yet

cheers for the reply

steve
Old 12 September 2011, 21:36   #44

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
There's a lot more to consider than just deep-V if you're looking for a RIB that handles rough sea. Reverse chine (Tornado and Scorpion have a very distinctive reverse-chine) is a feature that is important, as is the bow profile - depending on the size of RIB. Osprey have good handling despite not being particularly deep V or having a reverse chine - their bow profile seems to particularly suit small to medium size RIBs. Gemini and Ribtec that I have had experience of have both deep-V and good bow profile for small RIBs. And the height of tube attachment can have quite a profound effect on handling. Spray rails help divert the water away from the hull and keep it out of the boat, keeping you dry and comfortable. Also a hull design that works well in a head sea isn't necessarily going to work well in a following sea, and vice-versa.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote