Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 01 April 2013, 20:07   #1

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Deck Top Coat / Flow coat Questions

Hi Folks, need some advise please as I am painting the deck this wednesday after many hours grinding and filling

I have got the 2 x pack flowcoat (acyrillic and catalyst?) and I will be rolling 2 x coats onto a fully prepared deck but need some help with the following

1.) I will be painting inside a workshop which has no heating and the weather forecast max temps will be 8 degrees centigrade. Does anyone know roughly how long it will take before the first coat will flash off / tacky ready for the second coat? I am asking this as I have limited access to the workshop.

2.) I am thinking about using sand for a non slip floor. What sand should I use (sharp sand, silica?) and when should it be applied (between 1st and 2nd coat?) and how should it be applied (with a sieve?)

I have already purchased the paint so don't want to buy non slip paint.

Thanks in advance for advice
Old 01 April 2013, 20:41   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
My tips for you:

1/ don't try rollering it, doesn't work. A stippling action with a brush is required for non slip.

2/ don't try applying it in 8 degrees, it won't cure properly if at all. 10 degrees is the absolute minimum but even that's pushing it.

3/ even though you've already got flo coat, I'd still go out and buy the proper stuff. Not that expensive and does a proper job. Sand is too fine to be any use in something as viscous as flo coat.
Old 01 April 2013, 20:51   #3

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
My tips for you:

1/ don't try rollering it, doesn't work. A stippling action with a brush is required for non slip.

2/ don't try applying it in 8 degrees, it won't cure properly if at all. 10 degrees is the absolute minimum but even that's pushing it.

3/ even though you've already got flo coat, I'd still go out and buy the proper stuff. Not that expensive and does a proper job. Sand is too fine to be any use in something as viscous as flo coat.
I agree not worth doing in wrong conditions , non slip flo coat only £70.00 from east coast deliverd,
Brushing is. A better finish, ensure you wash deck with acetone prior to applying and flo coat,
Old 01 April 2013, 21:19   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
£70.00 from east coast deliverd,
Agree, 10kg should be plenty for a 5-6m boat
Old 02 April 2013, 07:19   #5

Morning and thanks for the advice everyone,

I know I should have bought the non slip paint from east coast in the first place but I have had the flow coat colour made up to match the consoles. I have also paid for the flow coat so I want to use it to prevent the project costs from spiralling out of control but I am now a bit worried as to whether the 5kg I have purchased is going to be enough to paint a 6m deck and transom.

The 10 degrees looks critical and won't be painting until the temp is above this in the workshop - will take a thermometer today just to see! If its not above 10 degrees I will just have to wait but its a bit frustrating as I have worked hard over easter and just want to get the deck painted and finished.

Thanks again
Old 02 April 2013, 08:01   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Or just hire a space heater for a couple of days!
Old 02 April 2013, 08:52   #7

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
1.) I will be painting inside a workshop which has no heating and the weather forecast max temps will be 8 degrees centigrade. Does anyone know roughly how long it will take before the first coat will flash off / tacky ready for the second coat? I am asking this as I have limited access to the workshop.

If you do decide to go ahead in 8 degrees let me know the results. Been waiting to do the same on my boat for months now but decided to wait for the weather.

Andy
Old 02 April 2013, 11:45   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Is there any humidity restrictions? If not, why not grab a propane space heater?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2013, 11:57   #9

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
dont forget the deck will have to be up to tempature as well as the air. so as short spell of temps at 10 degrees maynot be enough if the boat has been in a shed at 3 degrees for some time.
Old 02 April 2013, 20:16   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Flo coat with kiln dried sand works fine.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 18:42   #11

Had a practice run today with tangerine flow coat and this morning was a 2% catalyst mix when sample was out of direct sunlight at the back of workshop - It took 3 hours to flash offSo 2nd test run was done with 4% catalyst mix and sample was pushed to workshop entrance so was in the sun and it flashed off in just over an hour.

So due to work commitments and workshop availability I'm gonna go for it tomorrow
Old 03 April 2013, 18:45   #12

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Had a practice run today with tangerine flow coat and this morning was a 2% catalyst mix when sample was out of direct sunlight at the back of workshop - It took 3 hours to flash offSo 2nd test run was done with 4% catalyst mix and sample was pushed to workshop entrance so was in the sun and it flashed off in just over an hour.

So due to work commitments and workshop availability I'm gonna go for it tomorrow
Use scales at all times and mix well
Remember if you mix a kilo or more it will start to harden quicker due to bulk an heat built up in bucket,,, 20ml to kilo works for me, but every work shop is different
Old 03 April 2013, 19:20   #13

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I have been flow coating in as low as 4 degrees this winter without any problems. Ok, it isn't the fastest to set (4-8 hrs to touch dry) but the finish has been fine. I have also had better, smoother results with a gloss roller than a brush. The brush left stripes which were harder to polish out than the orange peel effect from the roller. I am sanding and polishing to a decent shine though and after a flat surface so not exactly a non slip deck finish. I am also by no means an expert and may just be very lucky.

Phil M
Old 03 April 2013, 19:33   #14
RIBnet Supporter

The comment about flowcoating with large volumes is valid. I got quite a surprise when mine started to smoke and pop in the pot after it went off...
Old 03 April 2013, 19:43   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The comment about flowcoating with large volumes is valid. I got quite a surprise when mine started to smoke and pop in the pot after it went off...
Glad it's not just me that had that.....