Old 29 April 2013, 21:22   #1
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Deck Coating, non-skid

I looked back through my subscribed threads and didn't see that I had asked it before. I'm getting closer to wanting to re do my decks.

My 7m Willard currently has a 3M product called "Safety-Walk Slip-Resistant Tapes". It's the "coarse" level of grit (700 Series). The stuff is made for wearing combat boots while on it. I can't even kneel on it without ripping up my knees. Not to mention, it's black and really hot when barefoot. The non-skid is peeling up and I'll need to either replace it or put down something else.

A new set of tape, in grey this time (for a cooler underfoot temperature), is ~$350 (thank you johndoe007 for the research on this).

Other options include flowcoat or paint with non-skid particles added, or some sort of roll-on truck bed liner.

Non-skid Particles:
http://www.awlgrip.com/MPYACMDatashe...8+A+eng+A4.pdf
I actually have a can of these sitting around from another project I didn't ever start.

Flowcoat:
Seems very popular here on rib.net. For some reason, it's not very popular on other boating forums that I read here in the US. Why? I would think that it's going to be much more durable than paint (even Awlgrip). Cost of a gallon of flowcoat, ~$85 USD.

Paint:
Many people use Alwgrip or other paints. I have no desire to us Awlgrip as the stuff is ridiculously expensive and hard to repair (i.e. you have to have left over or buy more).

A couple of people have used RustOleum Marine Topside Paint (RustOleum.com) which is a "oil modified alkyd enamel" with good results. $12/quart

There are also many paints that are in-between in price.

DIY Truck bed liner style:
Durabak (Roll On Bed Liner) $120/gallon
Kiwi Grip (Kiwigrip Home) $150/gallon

Durability, ease of application, looks, and price play into this. I want it to be functional (grippy but not too grippy) and it to look good.

The cheapest option would be something like a Rustoleum with non-skid particles. But, how long will this last? Also, as with any of the options that require mixing particles, I'm worried about an even finish and making it look good.

The most expensive option would be ordering a new set of grey 3M tape (pre-cut for the shape of my boat). While it will be cooler on my feet than what I currently have and it will be the most durable, I still think it's too rough.

I actually like the Durabak stuff - seems easier than Kiwi Grip to apply and not too expensive. I guess my second choice would be grey flowcoat with particles (I just don't know how good I'd be with the application). A buddy didn't like the idea of flowcoat and just said if you're going to do that, use Rustolem, easy to touch up and cheap!

I plan on getting to this before summer. Anyone have any other thoughts or other options? Why do the US guys not like flowcoat? (they'd rather use paint)
Old 29 April 2013, 23:45   #2

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
on www.bateau2.com which is a boat building and repair site based out of Florida that I have got a lot of good help they love Kiwigrip. Easy to apply, lasts forever, comes in many colors.

check out the forums.

Jason
Old 30 April 2013, 13:16   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
An old thread but worth a read:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/how-to-r...skid-7961.html

Pete
Old 30 April 2013, 13:30   #4

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
I've been struggling with the same question.

If I were you, I'd stick with the tape. Easy to apply, and not permanent. Too much grip is better than not enough. Or try the next grit down.

If you do the flow coat, let me know how it goes. I've been thinking about doing it. Also let me know where you order it from, I'm on the east coast of the US and don't think I'll be able to find a local supplier.
Old 03 May 2013, 17:31   #5
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
on Bateau2.com - Technical support for builders which is a boat building and repair site based out of Florida that I have got a lot of good help they love Kiwigrip. Easy to apply, lasts forever, comes in many colors.
The one thing that scares me about Kiwi Grip is that they tell you to practice first...that tells me it's not easy to apply and there's technique to it!

Then, reading more about the Durabak product, people complain that it's hard to clean.

Another two products to think about:

Ultra Tuff and Tuff Coat Marine Non Skid Coatings
Boat

Sounds like there's no magic, easy, non-skid that has every attribute that you want!
Old 04 May 2013, 12:17   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Flowcoat:
Seems very popular here on rib.net. For some reason, it's not very popular on other boating forums that I read here in the US. Why? I would think that it's going to be much more durable than paint (even Awlgrip). Cost of a gallon of flowcoat, ~$85 USD.
Why? Perhaps because the majority of mainstream boats in the US have moulded interiors/decks, where as the "traditional" British RIB design doesn't, hence flow coat is more wide-spread in RIBs over here. Saying that, moulded decks are becoming increasingly popular over here.