Old 01 February 2017, 18:00   #21
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Why you say everybody thinks it is a scam? Based on what?[/QUOTE]
Because it has a lot of signs that make it sound like one...

Overseas transaction, buyer not personally collecting.
Relatively high value purchase.
Boat in Scotland (there are boats in Scotland, but scammers are never somewhere convenient for most people to visit).
A buyer who doesn't seem to mind the inconvenience of a complex overseas sell.
Possibly (we don't know) you were approached rather than going to an advert that everyone could see and report if dodgy.
No broker involved.

That's quite a few ticks in boxes for some classic scams... ... It's also possible he thinks you are a scammers and is spinning you along.
Old 01 February 2017, 18:21   #22

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Length: 5m +
Engine: suzuki70 df
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
this sounds like a headache is there not any dealers in Israel or closer that you could buy a boat from
Almost no good ribs for sale except for one or 2 advertized for sale in a petty condition, no much ribs in my area unfortunately!

looks like i think different from other people around me
Old 01 February 2017, 19:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Why you say everybody thinks it is a scam? Based on what?

Boat in Scotland (there are boats in Scotland, but scammers are never somewhere convenient for most people to visit).
Possibly (we don't know) you were approached rather than going to an advert that everyone could see and report if dodgy.
No broker involved.

That's quite a few ticks in boxes for some classic scams... ... It's also possible he thinks you are a scammers and is spinning you along.[/QUOTE]

Hi poly
well, I should try to get the best out of your suspicions and try not to fall in some scam. it is clear to me that overseas deal from private seller is not a preferred choice. I knew that from the beginning but it came out like that eventually!
anyway, most of your claims refer to the buyer (me) and not to the seller..you may blame me for my the way I risk my self..I won't argue you but that is me to blame.
I didnot get though what you when mentioning "scammers are never somewhere convenient", english is my third language and i am not from uk area so I dont understand some of the things..do you mean Scotland can have more scammers in unconvenient places compared to England?

Anyway, the boat was advertised publicly somewhere. I was the one who reached the seller. still, you cannot be sure out of that it is not a scam but I saw it is worth mentioning.

I don't want to publish more details about the seller or the boat, because sending details in this post would be insulting to the seller and would seem like i am investigating him. I know i could benefit from that but just dont like this style out of respect to the owner.

The owner has for 3 years been sending posts about his boat and getting help from a forum members. It would be strange if it was a senario built for 3 years to get someone in his trap...in addition to other things i dont want to mention here..so i do believe he is telling truth and would lood for the best way to keep both sides safe from fraud..he also seems to be worried from foreigner communicating him over the net only!

in your other post you have mentioned some things with some short names that i didnot get. I will go through again..

appreciate your efforts
Old 01 February 2017, 19:28   #24

Quote:
Why you say everybody thinks it is a scam? Based on what?

No broker involved.

That's quite a few ticks in boxes for some classic scams... ... It's also possible he thinks you are a scammers and is spinning you along.[/QUOTE]
and believe me, i wish i had other ways to get boat rather than overseas...i am not enjoying the stressful process but a good RIB is my dream and with the budget I can afford I wanna get one despite the un-paved road.
Old 01 February 2017, 20:28   #25

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Been posting on forums for 3 years seemingly so one of us will know the boat and owner. Still canny think of any rib that would be worth shipping halfway round the world when you can buy boats just along the coast in Tunis.
Old 01 February 2017, 20:49   #26

Yip this still has SCAM plastered all over it.

Sameh - Its quite common for a Rib to be listed, often cheaper than you might expect for what it is in this country. Then You contact the seller. The seller (scammer) then says that the advert which said it was in the South Coast isn't quite right, its actually somewhere you almost certainly aren't. Scotland seems to be common. Scottish Islands even more so. Anywhere that means you going to see the boat will be a pain. But its OK, the seller who is often a "grieving wife who knows nothing of the boat because it is her recently deceased husband's and she just needs rid of it"... ...she will ship it to you, you can keep it for up to 7 days and if you don't like it return it. She will get you to pay by Paypal or something similar with some claim that it protects you.

You pay, the goods never arrive, turns out PayPal don't protect boat sales.

Another scam involves the seller supplying goods being the good guy. The scammer send a courier to collect goods... but he actually sends 2. The first guy collects the goods and then a second guy (the one the scammer claims to have organised) turns up to say he's come for the goods. When goods not available seller has to refund the payment.

The final scam says things like "Dear Seller, I've paid you more money than you asked for, can you please pay the excess to the courier driver" Seller does that, goods are shipped. Then a refund happens via some means. So the scammer gets the boat, and doesn't even have to pay for the delivery... insurance claim by seller likely refused as he paid a courier to take the goods away...

Do you see the similarities? You may be legitimate. The seller may be legitimate. But it has alarm bells all over it.

Photos... ...while they can be faked a shared photo or 3 might be enough for people on here to say "definitely a scam" there will be people who can spot if a building in the background is likely to be in Fife etc. They wont be able to say its definitely not a scam, but they can say it definitely is!

For the amounts of money involved in paying agents etc - I'd be wanting to actually come over and see the boat in person...?

If its not a scammer, I wouldn't be surprised if the seller thinks you are a scammer (read the summary above and convince me you aren't!) - in which case they are playing you for 'fun'. Probably waiting to work out what your scam is... ...the boat may or may not exist. Or may or may not **still** exist...
Old 01 February 2017, 21:13   #27

Town: Lismore
Boat name: Jinty J
Make: Rib-X 535
Engine: Evinrude 75 Etec
Might I ask what your budget is?
Glad you gave up on the idea of the Chinese RIB. It almost certainly wouldn't be CE approved, but would have been marked CE, as in Chinese Export.
Why not give Colin Baldwin at Rib-X a call and treat yourself to a new build RIB. They export 90% of their production overseas, and I imagine getting one to you in Israel would be within their scope.
CJ
Old 01 February 2017, 21:50   #28

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
Been posting on forums for 3 years seemingly so one of us will know the boat and owner. Still canny think of any rib that would be worth shipping halfway round the world when you can buy boats just along the coast in Tunis.

[emoji106] I've not even seen a "bargain" advertised ...
Old 01 February 2017, 22:04   #29
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
, english is my third language and i am not from uk area so I dont understand some of the things..do you mean Scotland can have more scammers in unconvenient places compared to England?
the scammers probably aren't in Scotland (or possibly even in the UK) but if they say they are somewhere "out the way" they can use this to suggest they will deliver it, which is the start of the scam. Of course there are real boats get sold in Scotland too.

Quote:
I don't want to publish more details about the seller or the boat, because sending details in this post would be insulting to the seller and would seem like i am investigating him. I know i could benefit from that but just dont like this style out of respect to the owner.
no genuine seller is going to mind you checking up on the boat or him - it adds to the value of his sale and makes you more likely to complete.

Quote:
The owner has for 3 years been sending posts about his boat and getting help from a forum members. It would be strange if it was a senario built for 3 years to get someone in his trap...
that does sounds promising - but tread carefully.
Old 02 February 2017, 08:12   #30
RIBnet admin team

Sameh has shared the details with me (actually I had found the likely advert myself with a little detective work). He has quite a bit of supporting information about who the seller is in "real life" too. it does appear that it is a real boat and a real seller.

Now whether I would go to the effort sameh is planning is probably a different debate, as is why the seller can be bothered with a complex sale.
Old 02 February 2017, 09:36   #31

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Sameh has shared the details with me (actually I had found the likely advert myself with a little detective work). He has quite a bit of supporting information about who the seller is in "real life" too. it does appear that it is a real boat and a real seller.

Now whether I would go to the effort sameh is planning is probably a different debate, as is why the seller can be bothered with a complex sale.
thats a good point when a guy from france wanted to buy my rib not straight forward and i didnt want the hassel.
Old 02 February 2017, 10:53   #32

Quote:

May i have some optimisim here[emoji6]
I am trying to close a deal and get a boat..don't frustrate the seller[emoji23]
Old 02 February 2017, 10:56   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
thats a good point when a guy from france wanted to buy my rib not straight forward and i didnt want the hassel.
If you find serious buyer and you are willing to sell and not wait some more months then you may make some more than the standard effort.you also won't have to meet the buyer and go on the water for test or so..so there is also some good sides out of this[emoji4]
Old 02 February 2017, 15:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
tunis is not around here..not sure it would be easier.what do tunis have?their local brands? interesting
Old 02 February 2017, 15:13   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejay View Post
Might I ask what your budget is?
Glad you gave up on the idea of the Chinese RIB. It almost certainly wouldn't be CE approved, but would have been marked CE, as in Chinese Export.
Why not give Colin Baldwin at Rib-X a call and treat yourself to a new build RIB. They export 90% of their production overseas, and I imagine getting one to you in Israel would be within their scope.
CJ
chinese rib is my second option. i am familiar with a good product at haohai company, been tested here and proved good quality, still nothing as good quality british made rib i think.

budget is around 10 thousand rands for boat and outboard, so most new boat&outboard packs are above that prices. I think i have seen Xribs prices, higher than my budjet. seen in the past a good sale on Italian brand named Gommonautica with lovely storage and prices were as i recall 11 thousand euro complete boat package with outboard but prices now are higher and I havenot checked with them to negotiate..it is still an option although the G48 that I liked still not wide enough for offshore use (it is 2.01meter beam) and more problematic having emergency outboard next to main outboard.
Old 02 February 2017, 15:19   #36

by the way, anybody knows if eur1 can be made to a second hand boat? given that the owner has the Declaration of Conformity from the original factory.
Old 02 February 2017, 16:39   #37

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I take it it's a good rough water rib your going to all this trouble to buy and not some piece of shite that doesn't perform well unless it's pretty calm water .....
Old 02 February 2017, 17:14   #38
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I take it it's a good rough water rib your going to all this trouble to buy and not some piece of shite that doesn't perform well unless it's pretty calm water .....
It is a British build boat, in fairly traditional style with function over form. It's not at the scorpion or goldfish end of the market though, at you'd expect for a 10k boat (I think he means pounds not rand).
Old 02 February 2017, 17:16   #39
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
May i have some optimisim here[emoji6]
I'm Scottish, we don't do optimism. Your seller is also Scottish so will understand!
Quote:
I am trying to close a deal and get a boat..don't frustrate the seller[emoji23]
to be fair nobody here is standing in the way of you and the seller closing the deal.
Old 02 February 2017, 18:18   #40
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
I'm Scottish, we don't do optimism.
(English accent in Scottish pub): "Lager & Lime please!"

"We don't do (short pause)......... cocktails"