Old 22 May 2017, 10:25   #1

Town: Emsworth
Boat name: Not names
Make: No boat yet
Length: 4m +
Engine: N/A
Day trips from Fowey

Hi all

Off to Fowey in Cornwall next week with our Ribeye TS400. Can anyone suggest good day trips in a 4m RIB? I've been up the river in a hire boat last year and got as far as Lerryn but we'd like to do some coastal trips and wondered what's possible/safe in up to F4?

TIA!

Rob
Old 22 May 2017, 11:23   #2
Jus

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: At Lantic
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Evinrude Etec 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhmunro View Post
Hi all

Off to Fowey in Cornwall next week with our Ribeye TS400. Can anyone suggest good day trips in a 4m RIB? I've been up the river in a hire boat last year and got as far as Lerryn but we'd like to do some coastal trips and wondered what's possible/safe in up to F4?

TIA!

Rob
We have a 4.8 Ribcraft and depending on sea conditions, would happily go to the following locations.

For a good beach, Lantic Bay. Its only about 15 minutes east and has a great beach you can only reach by boat (little Lantic rather than the main one).

Polperro. This is a small harbour another 20 minutes or so on East from Lantic. On a high tide you can get into the harbour and tie up for a wander around.

Polkerris - This is a more tourist oriented beach, and it has a pub and a restaurant and beach shop. Its a half hour or so west taking you around Gribbin Head and into St Austell Bay.

There are also a fair few other places on the other side of St Austell Bay you could also consider if you want to go further and the condition permit.

We will be also be down next week, and from what I can see it looks quite promising on the forecast so far.
Old 22 May 2017, 11:31   #3

Great thanks Jus. We've been to Lantic by foot before and always wanted to go by boat so that's number one on the list. All the others are great ideas. Are you keeping your boat at Fowey? I've booked a place at Penmarlan Quay but am hoping to be able to leave it on the inside of the pontoon at Albert Quay for the odd night to save having to use the Boddinick ferry every time I get it out.

Rob
Old 22 May 2017, 11:47   #4
Jus

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: At Lantic
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Evinrude Etec 75
Quote:
Great thanks Jus. We've been to Lantic by foot before and always wanted to go by boat so that's number one on the list. All the others are great ideas. Are you keeping your boat at Fowey? I've booked a place at Penmarlan Quay but am hoping to be able to leave it on the inside of the pontoon at Albert Quay for the odd night to save having to use the Boddinick ferry every time I get it out.

Rob
Hi Rob,

We are lucky enough to have access to a mooring at Penmarlam, so you'll be able to see my boat from the pontoon there. I think technically you are not supposed to stay overnight on the fowey pontoons, but (off the record) I am fairly confident you would be ok if you did for the odd night. Another alternative might be to enquire about vistitors moorings on the Fowey side as they sometimes have them available. It would then be a very short trip on the water taxi.
Old 22 May 2017, 14:23   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Mevagissey makes a good day trip from Fowey. Going west also has the advantage that you'll normally get an easier ride on the return leg.
Old 23 May 2017, 05:29   #6

Thanks John, Mevagissey looks good. I guess heading back East means you're likely to be going downwind?
Old 23 May 2017, 07:45   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Thanks John, Mevagissey looks good. I guess heading back East means you're likely to be going downwind?

Yes, the wind most often blows from the south west and it makes a big difference especially in a small boat.

Starting off downwind it's really easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. If you do head off to any of the easterly destinations (and there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't) and you suspect conditions might be marginal it's worth turning head to wind occasionally just to check what the return leg is going to be like.
Old 23 May 2017, 08:33   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Starting off downwind it's really easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. If you do head off to any of the easterly destinations (and there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't) and you suspect conditions might be marginal it's worth turning head to wind occasionally just to check what the return leg is going to be like.

So so true. Mrs Fenlander is not naturally experienced in the ways of the sea and also fearless crew which is a dangerous combination if her "just a bit further" egging on to reach this or that destination is listened to. I often do the turn around test and say do you fancy adding an extra 2hrs of this trying to get back.
Old 23 May 2017, 20:30   #9

Yep good points. Had this experience more than once when sailing dinghies. On a run all is lovely, very little apparent wind and boat nice and flat. Bear up and anything higher than a beam reach is OMG, boat heeled over and wind and spray blasting in your face!
Old 24 May 2017, 11:50   #10

Town: St Austell
Boat name: On Site
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100hp outboard
RIBase
Mevagissey is about 15 to 20 mins from Fowey and I regularly tie up in the outer harbour for an hour or so. If you get that far you have some rocks close by called the Gwineas just of the next headland (chapelpoint / Gorran Haven) which aren't that far. There is a colony of seals on the eastern side of the rocks at the mo. If you approach slowly and carefully you have plenty of depth if you keep directly east to get nice and close to watch them. Gorran Haven is a nice safe anchorage and beach.
Old 24 May 2017, 16:09   #11

Wow thanks for that tip - will definitely check out the seals if conditions allow.
Old 24 May 2017, 19:40   #12

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishcoote View Post
Mevagissey is about 15 to 20 mins from Fowey and I regularly tie up in the outer harbour for an hour or so..
Do you need the harbour masters permission before tying up in the outer harbour at Meva.? We're going to Pentewan in a few weeks and would like to go to Fowey and Mevagissey amongst others. There's also a tiny bit of 'beach' just before or just after the Aquarium at Meva too, and thought I might just try a beach landing there instead if the outer harbour is a problem.
Old 25 May 2017, 02:59   #13

Town: St Austell
Boat name: On Site
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100hp outboard
RIBase
As I enter the harbour at Mevagissey, I tend to tie up near to some steps located on your right, in the centre of the outer harbour. It's only accessible to small craft. I am not sure on the exact rules.

The beach would also be fine which is just after the aquarium in the outer harbour, but only if you can pull up onto it. I have never been asked to pay if just visiting for an hour.

Fowey has a free visitor mooring pontoon.