Old 08 September 2003, 21:06   #1

Town: stanmore
Boat name: zippy
Make: zodiac pro 550
Length: 5.5
Engine: 90hp
day skipper

Hi, ive been following the site for some months now and what a great site it is too! many thanks to John and all who post,
Has anyone any experience of the day skipper theory course over the net or by correspondence .
Old 09 September 2003, 09:34   #2

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Caution

Not many people will answer this question because either they don't know and if they do they wouldn't like to admit it.

Internet.....No don't bother.

Correspondence, yes. I know a couple of people who have done it by post. Try these guys.

www.gamalan.co.uk/nfss

or

I found these chaps very good ..... ooops !

nmcs.u-net.com

You can't beat time on the water, power - sail - dinghy we're all the same. Experience counts for a lot however, qualifications do in my opinion give a better understanding of how to apply that experience.
Old 09 September 2003, 11:46   #3

Thanks for the reply MeMe,
I totally agree it is experience on water is what counts , providing these are good ones of course!
Ill give your sites a look as im looking to broaden my theory.
Old 10 September 2003, 07:17   #4

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Day Skipper - Theory

Hi Aligator,

I can't offer help on the postal or electronic versions of this course, but when I did it at evening classes some 15 years ago, there were only 2 power boat owners in a class of about 35 "yachties".

Actually, it did help me to understand some of their seemingly irrational ways and we were taught to tie a bowline behind our backs, although I have yet to come across a situation where this type of skill is needed!!!

Still, I did quite enjoy the course, and there wasn't much on the television worth watching (nothing's changed!).

Good luck with your course!

Chris.
Old 10 September 2003, 07:42   #5
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
to see what the course involves and do some pre course studying there is a course outline with all things you will be taught here www.mby.com/mby/month/dskip.htm. I believe most of the course is covered here so can do the actuall course really easily.
Old 10 September 2003, 12:12   #6

Town: Poole
Alligator

Feel reasonably well qualified to comment on this; took my Dayskipper theory via evening classes, took Yachtmaster theory via correspondence & we teach Dayskipper (theory) & above over 5 day courses.

Evening classes
Pros: Lots of time to cover everything, whiles away those winter nights, very cheap
Cons: Big classes albeit with high attrition rate, difficult to maintain momentum over such a long period (c26 weeks), some instructors (historically) made it a very sail biased course

Correspondence course
Pros: Can do it as quickly or slowly as you wish – flexibility, NMCS (who I did Yachtmaster with were the dearest but the quality of the documentation is exceptional)
Cons: No one to talk to (unless you call them), can be expensive.

5 day course/6 days if over a series of weekends
Pros: Keeps momentum going & ensures you don’t forget anything due to breaks in learning, others to bounce ideas off, can be cost effective
Cons: In a classroom for 5 days!

I’m not aware of courses over the net although you can get the course on CD so I suspect someone does it.

The point was also made that there is no substitute for practical experience and its better to do a course on the water. I understand the point but feel Dayskipper theory addresses a different need:
• 5 days worth of theory gives a real grounding to a good depth in a variety of areas and allows you to build on that knowledge subsequently in a practical environment. By definition a practical course can spend far less time on this.
• The practical course is part of the Motor Cruising scheme and is not available on RIBs or via powerboat schools unless they are motor cruising schools too

Regards

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2003, 20:59   #7

Thankyou all for your thoughts on this subject . The nmcs webb site certainly looks the business and its nice to know that you consider the material to be so as well Paul, actually it was surfing your site that gave me the mind to do the day skipper this year .
Old 13 September 2003, 02:27   #8

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
and what an excellent site Pauls is.

CD rom I find useful for refreshing Knowledge

www.softrain.co.uk
www.dayskipper.com
Old 13 September 2003, 10:35   #9

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
day skipper

Hi Aligator,

I undertook my Day Skipper Theory over the winter via evening class.

For me personally was better than correspondance course as I like the personal touch and to be able to ask questions & get a reply sraight away.

Althouhg I did find the course very sail biased when calculating courses navigating excetera.

I am searching to do my D/S Practical but do not want to do it on a yatch or Gin Palace. Would prefer to do it in a rib. Have you found anyone that teaches with Ribs?

Reagrds
Old 15 September 2003, 16:13   #10

Hi Ageing youth
sorry for the delay in replying , no I haven't come across one as yet ,but if I do I will let you know, I must admit im thinking more along the lines of completing the advanced power boat course instead of the d/s practical as this would be far more relevant to ribsters,
I picked up the RYA cd at boat show on saturday the complete course ,competent crew. day skipper.yachtmaster. so i will give this ago.
one draw back to the self teaching lark is how do you get the certificate! so may have to do a course anyway.
Old 15 September 2003, 16:50   #11

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
The dayskipper course is definitely a worthwhile course ( the theory side anyway ). It is definitely pertinent for a RIB, in fact it is right for any sailing craft. It doesn't really focus on one particular sea vessel but goes into rope work, navigation, rules of the sea, chart plotting etc. I did mine at night school over a period of 6 months.

You don't have to do the course. You can also study at home and then just sit the 2 exams to get the certificate. The key is to pass the exams.

The only thing I will say, is that most of the instructors that run it come from a sailing background rather than a powerboat background. This means they do make a lot of references to sailing during the course even though the course is not focused on it.
Old 15 September 2003, 20:32   #12

Day Skipper Course

I totaly aggree that it is a very useful course and I have already completed my Advanced Rib Course in November last year in Plymouth. It seems that know one teaches D/S Practicle in a Rib.

I hope to go further with my training, to be able to work comercially and was told I need D/S Practical to qualify.

To the guys who run schools dose anyone know the correct route to get a commercial licence to run a Rib Charter for Diving/Hire ect.

I have already completed RYA Level 1,2 and Advanced Power; which was completed on a Rib, plus Day Skipper Theory and VHF/DSC Licence. I have also some intnse First Aid Training from my millitary days.

I will worry about the boat coding later.

Cheers
Old 19 September 2003, 17:30   #13

Town: Poole
It seems that know one teaches D/S Practicle in a Rib.

The reason being that Dayskipper is part of the Motor Cruising syllabus and that Syllabus (under RYA 'rules') is taught on motor cruisers.

I hope to go further with my training, to be able to work comercially and was told I need D/S Practical to qualify.

Disagree with this. If you have advanced then that can be commercially endorsed to allow you to take out a boat in Cat 4 (& perhaps Cat 3 - can't remember) areas - Cat 4 is 20 miles from a safe haven in favourable weather & daylight. Advanced powerboat directly equates to Coastal Skipper in respect of endorsement

To the guys who run schools dose anyone know the correct route to get a commercial licence to run a Rib Charter for Diving/Hire ect.

You need VHF, First Aid, Sea Survival, a recognised engine qualification & a medical. Then send it all off with a form to the RYA & voila!!

Drop me an email or call if you want more info

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2003, 21:15   #14
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
As someone who is a YM sail, PBI and a Dinghy SI and a comm endorsment, I would agree that the DS is not aimed at the PB. But as Paul points out it is not aimed at the PB it is part of the Motor and Sail syb. That said, the water is the water and the tide is the tide etc etc

Perhaps the RYA PB syb should align itself with the others??

You can learn so much by just talking to other water users either during courses or on the net, like here. It is only by doing these courses do you gain experiance and learn. I have just skippered a 40 yacht in the Fastnet again and did i learn anything, YES. These courses can be practical and/or threoy based. The threory behind a DS course is the same whatever vessel you go to sea in. It is just that some people do not see it that way. A vector is a vector it is just the numbers that are different.

I am fully behind the RYA syb and would recommand doing any of the courses.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Stuart
PS You can never know enough!!!
Old 20 September 2003, 18:44   #15

Day Skipper & Training

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply. I will be in touch to discuss further.
Old 20 September 2003, 21:33   #16

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Paul.
ADV PB with Comm End. does cover you for Cat 3. Cat 3 in a powerboat that is.
I believe that the ADV PB and Coastal Skipp over lap as far as either can be used for up to 20 Miles from a safe Haven. But as we know helming a 48ft motor boat is very different to helming a 40knot RIB. Find it hard to believe that you can use either. Power courses for powerboats and Coastal Skipp/YM for Motor.

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote