Old 17 April 2005, 22:26   #1

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Dangerous kill cords

Some time ago, it was highlighted that not all killcords are of a safe design and construction.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ous+kill+cords

Kill cords (aka engine lanyards) are often made from a red plastic material, but need to have a strong core as the plastic outer sheath can degrade with exposure to salt water and sunlight.

So I was surprised today, whilst in a reputable chandler, to find a branded (non-oem) kill cord on sale without the strong core.

Be careful!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2005, 10:01   #2
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
I was in my local chandlery shop in Dun Laoghaire , and bought one of the crappy / dangerous kill coures for €5, I just wanted the Mercury end to fit to My OMC kill cord , which is the proper type. I mentioned to the Guy in the shop , thta these things are dangerous , He agreed, and said the he tells people to change every year , as they do fail !!!

I have to question his sanity , selling these things ......... But at the end of the day it up to the indvidual , to use the correct saftey gear .
Old 19 April 2005, 23:19   #3

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Scary to think that these are still being sold after all the fuss we made in Ireland and the UK when we originally discovered them.

I'll ask Afloat magazine and the ISA to put out a warning !

Send me a Pm if you would like to identify the Chandlers!

Best wishes,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2005, 18:52   #4

Kill Cord Up date !

I have now contacted the ISA who will issue safety bulletins to Clubs and Schools and the Dept of Marine's Safety Office who will contact all chandlers to have these spurious Kill Cords withdrawn from the market here in Ireland.

Best wishes,

Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Some time ago, it was highlighted that not all killcords are of a safe design and construction.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ous+kill+cords

Kill cords (aka engine lanyards) are often made from a red plastic material, but need to have a strong core as the plastic outer sheath can degrade with exposure to salt water and sunlight.

So I was surprised today, whilst in a reputable chandler, to find a branded (non-oem) kill cord on sale without the strong core.

Be careful!
Old 28 April 2005, 22:23   #5
TIM

POWERBOAT ,
I have since found out the the reason that they have these for sale is two fold . 1. honda wont sell the proper kill cords to them because they are not a honda agent... and 2 generaly people wont spent he €15 on a proper kill cord . so they sell the shit ones , along side the proper ones , but give a dire warning with every 'shit cord' purchased , and explain the difference , and the risks involved......... I dont think they can do more than that , as it people's choice , once the risks are explained
Old 29 April 2005, 06:45   #6

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
We have these in my local chandlery supplied by Plastimo , they should be banned.
Old 15 June 2005, 13:32   #7

Spurious Kill Cords

Hi Tim,

As promised, I passed on your concerns to the Marine Safety Office in the Dept of Marine.

They have come back to me asking if they could be provided with a sample of the dodgy cords. I know that we in the school dumped the ones that we came across. Do you still have the cord piece of your one ?

Give me a shout if you like on 087 2 111 222.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM
I was in my local chandlery shop in Dun Laoghaire , and bought one of the crappy / dangerous kill coures for €5, I just wanted the Mercury end to fit to My OMC kill cord , which is the proper type. I mentioned to the Guy in the shop , thta these things are dangerous , He agreed, and said the he tells people to change every year , as they do fail !!!

I have to question his sanity , selling these things ......... But at the end of the day it up to the indvidual , to use the correct saftey gear .
Old 15 June 2005, 19:43   #8
TIM

No , I cut it up and chucked it out .... but I am sure they are still for sale .... I have seen them on sale in Westren marine , and Metal cove too ... the Dept shouldnt have too much hassle in finding them ......
Old 16 June 2005, 15:37   #9

Cheers Tim,

Like myself !

I'll tell them where to go shopping !

Kind regards,

Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM
No , I cut it up and chucked it out .... but I am sure they are still for sale .... I have seen them on sale in Westren marine , and Metal cove too ... the Dept shouldnt have too much hassle in finding them ......